Shipping a car to Australia

immy21

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of the cost of shipping a car from the UK to Australia.

I have found the cost of certain European cars to be excessively expensive over there so am considering alternative ways.

Any ballpark figures would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I wAS THINKING OF TTHE SAME THING BUT i HEARD THAT THERE ARE MORE STRINGENT EMISSION LAWS AND SO i WAS TOLD THAT i MIGHT BRING MY CAR OVER AND HAVE TO SPEND LOTS OF MONEY TO GET THE EMISSIONS SORTED NOT TO MENTION STORAGE ,REGISTREING VEHICLE ETC.mINE IS A VOLKSWAGEN CARAVELLE AND WOULD BE USEFULL BUT i DONT WANT TO FIND I NEED AN EXPENSIVE CONVERSION DONE. TDHERE IS A NUMBER FOR TRANSPORTATION AND SHIPPING WHICH IS 01708 860351(HOMEPAK)

Guest choobs
Thanks Simon

Audi Cabriolet's in Aus are starting at £38,000 the same car in rip off Britain is £22,000. Therefore the cost of shipping re registering etc... must prove to give me a huge saving

I think this is largely due to the climate being somewhat kinder on vehicles in general, so they last longer. Second hand cars still command a fairly high price because there isn't the same amount of salt and water in the air as there is here.

Choobs

• 1 month later...

We imported a car about 5 years ago. just after the customs and import laws changed as part of the GST ( Oz version of VAT).

if you have a work visa for Oz, you can import the car on a temporary basis. You Must take the car with you when your Visa expires and you leave. If you import it on a work visa you cannot sell it in Oz. You have to pay a customs and excise tax when you bring it in to the country, (which you get refunded when you export the car out of OZ.). Another way to bring it in on a temporary basis is through a Carnet ( the AA and RAC can help you with that )

If you later become a resident you have to "register" the car in your State. Once registered you can sell it any time you want. Note that to register it you have to jump through lots of silly hoops with the RTA ( road traffic Authority) .

You need to find someone at the RTA who has done it before as 99% of the people there havn't a clue how to do it or whats involved.

You have to have a compliance plate fitted. ( ie pay a garage to inspect the car and do any remdial work). Our BMW didnt need anything doing. You have to have it weighed at a special government approved garage ( go figure....), and you need to have an Austrailan valuation. The valuation is needed so they can work out the GST and stamp duty you have to pay. The "valuation" for customs and excise in this case is market value minus expenses to bring the car over (insurance, shipping etc). Find a friendly valuation guy. Even though you didn't buy the car in Oz you then have to pay GST. ( 10% of the value).

You have to have owned your car for over 12 months ( i think thats the time period) before you import it otherwise its classed more like a business import than a private import and taxes increase.

Allow at least a week in Oz while you drive around from RTA office to garages to sort out all the silly paperwork. All the above relates to NSW. Other states will probably have different rules. The worst part of importing a car is that you have to deal with the Customs and excise who are a national government body, and your state based roads and traffic authority. Neither know what the requirements are for the other. So theres a lot of going back and forth between the two until both are happy that the other is happy.

The customs websites have lots of information. Theres too much and its conflicting in places. I found it best to read it , then phone up Customs , at least 2 or 3 times to ask the same questions to see if i got the same answers ( i didnt 5 years ago as the laws had just changed...it might be clearer now)

Good luck.

• 3 years later...
Guest The Pom Queen
Hi

Does anyone have any experience of the cost of shipping a car from the UK to Australia.

I have found the cost of certain European cars to be excessively expensive over there so am considering alternative ways.

Any ballpark figures would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

If you look at this blog it will give you all the information you require for shipping your car:

Importing a Car to Australia | Moving to Melbourne

Guest robbyhooper

hi , we just brought our car over it was a ford focus 2004 and it cost us £1000 to ship over on the roll on roll off scheme then customs charged me $3500 to get it through customs then had to get a blue slip (which is just to register it with ozzy standards) which cost $100 and then all your other road worthy stuff pink slip(mot) and green slip(compulsory third party insurance) and then your car insurance, it was alot of hassle and i only expected to pay $2000 at customs (they got you by the balls) but overall it was just about worth it as we knew there was nothing wrong with our car and second hand cars keep their value here so i would do it again

Guest dermedicus

Having seen the price of second hand cars here, which is shocking, I am contemplating asking my friend not to sell my car in the UK and rather to ship it here asap.

• 1 year later...
Guest deniro197474

hi. i have applied for 457 visa and hope soon i am coming to australia.

i been there before and i have seen the second hand car price.

i want to buy a car from uk and send it to australia.

does it cost a lot if u have 457 visa. or is it the same as normal.

thanks

Guest Guest31881

You have posted on a very old thread, can I suggest that you look at the following link,

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know-53.html

You should find answers to all your questions on that thread, or post on the thread for informed answers.

Remember you have to own and use a car for at least 12 months before you can ship it over to Australia.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived