taking my car ???

calNgary

just wondered if anyone knew the ins and outs and of course approx cost of taking a car over to brisbane ,also are you allowed to fill the car with belongings ,we are trying to work out wheter it is financially viable ,im grateful for any info

thanks

cal x

Guest ABCDiamond

Don't forget to check out the costs you will incur at this end aswell.

Import Duty

GST

Cleaning Costs

Safety Checks

Conversion costs - speedo being one example.

It can work out quite expensive.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/str_imp-cert.aspx

and of course... does your car have air conditioning ?

If not, you will almost certainly have to get it installed. I couldn't live without air con in a car, much more important than air con in the house.

Is your car capable of having it installed in this country ? and at what cost ?

Heres another possible useful link:

http://www.australiatrade.com.au/Shipping/Import/Vehicles/Costings.htm

(This information copied from my web pages)

Guest ABCDiamond
You might also want to check out

http://www.karmanshipping.com/australia/australia.html

That site has a spreadsheet at http://www.karmanshipping.com/australia/WebCalcs.xls which helps work out the total costings.

That could, be VERY useful.

I did a quick calc on one example used car and it calculated a total of £3,500 in the various costs, £1,500 of that related to shipping costs, with the other £2,000 being costs incurred on the Australian side. This being based on a car valued at £5,000.

thanks abc i will look at that site tonight when my little darlings are in bed,we have just recieved news that my hubbys passed the tra stage ,one step closer ,all the advice and links you have given have been a great help so far thankyou very much

cal x

just wondered if anyone knew the ins and outs and of course approx cost of taking a car over to brisbane ,also are you allowed to fill the car with belongings ,we are trying to work out wheter it is financially viable ,im grateful for any info

thanks

i understand about the space and packing in the car issue, but it is a major issue to get a fairly modern car to comply with australian design rules.this is our equivalent of british standard kite mark.if it is something you want to go ahead with i used to work in this field and will give you advice. best regards simon

Guest ironmaggi

Simon - I wonder if you can help us on this topic. I've done all the above but it's really hard to work out as they don't have Primeras! unfortunately ours is nearly 1 year old so we'll be totally stuffed selling it but it still might be worth it versus the cost. Would we have to change anything [as this would add to price and tip the balance!] the speedo shows km [although miles are bigger] - I can't think what else...it's diesel?

cheers, Maggi

Guest ABCDiamond
Simon - I wonder if you can help us on this topic. I've done all the above but it's really hard to work out as they don't have Primeras! unfortunately ours is nearly 1 year old so we'll be totally stuffed selling it but it still might be worth it versus the cost. Would we have to change anything [as this would add to price and tip the balance!] the speedo shows km [although miles are bigger] - I can't think what else...it's diesel?

cheers, Maggi

What happens if it needs spare parts, repairs etc ?

Would it have any warranty here ?

• 11 years later...

cheers, Maggi

First,

I suggest anyone looking to bring their car over to contact Iron Lady imports or Iron Chef, as he helps lots of people bring their cars over.

I am also an automotive compliance engineer in Melbourne, I comply 1 to 2 personal imports a week for various people. You DO NOT have to change the speedomter if you don't want to. It is not a requirement to have a km/hr speedo on a personal import. The 2 things that sometimes need to be fitted are Australian compliant Child Restraint Anchorages (CRA's) to ADR 34 requirements, although many newer cars from Europe have these now, the other thing can be seatbelts as its a requirement to have tags on the belts with an E mark (or equivalent). Most other things for personal imports will be there (Right Hand drive, laminated windscreen, lights dip to left, yellow indicators, red stop / tail lights).

Some cars do come to me for compliance that are full of peoples belongings but remember that the Australian Quarantine inspection service wants to check that everything is clean so when they unpack your car it might not all be repacked as carefully!

Very good advice about the air conditioning because if you go to sell the car, nobody will want to buy it if it doesn't have air con. Parts for Nissans and other main stream manufacturers aren't a big deal as Australia imports second hand cars from Japan and so these places and even main dealers can get parts generally with less issue than BMW, Audi, VW, Mercedes, etc, who often quote many weeks to get parts ex-Europe.

Regards, Blake A.

Archived