shipping furniture?

Guest ruth123uk

Guest ruth123uk

Hi there

We are hopfully going to live in victoria next year somtime but we are wondering if it is better to have furniture shipped over or to buy all new? we had a quote for £3,500 to have it shipped out which i thought was alot of money?is it reasonable to buy furniture in australlia?

Thanks ruth :D

Guest fiona73

Hi

We are moving to Melbourne next year, I have not looked into shipping prices yet, however a friend moved to Sydney last year and paid £4.000 so maybe that is the going rate.

There are reasonable priced furniture shops and IKEA in OZ, we will probably take a few big expensive items such as our sofas and buy other cheaper stuff out there.

Guest Sunshine

Hi Guys,

My advice would be to ship everything you can afford to!! Reasons being, having to buy all new furniture when you arrive will bump up your initial costs, it takes a while to figure out where to get the best bargains and you run the risk of paying over the odds for stuff. Also its worth bearing in mind you have to wait 6 - 8 weeks on average for delivery unless you buy off the shop floor.

Houses in Oz seem a lot bigger if its all on one floor (or has a huge "rumpus" room) and you might find like we did, even when you have put all your furniture in it still looks half empty :shock: and you will need to buy some new stuff anyway.

As far as the small stuff goes, yes there are plenty of "cheap" shops to buy things like kitchen essentials and things to keep you going while you wait for your container.

Hope this helps!

Sunshine

Guest nuttycaz

Hi

We are wondering what to take, being moved with help from husbands company but still wondering if we should take it 'all'!!! Wardrobes, white goods etc etc, and what about the attic stuff.......so your advice is to take it all then......

Have I read somewhere that wooden furniture i.e. pine goods are not welcomed by customs...if that is the case I have got a lot to sell lol!!!!

Any info regarding the pine furniture would be much appreciated.

Just awaiting info from Aus on who to approach for shipping...hoping to move in the first week of jan, have we got time to do it all?????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest ironmaggi

I heard the same thing i.e. wood / wicker etc. but when I queried one of the moving companies at the expo last weekend he didn't think it was a problem...they just check it for weevils etc. so we'll be taking as much as we can get in the container hubbie's work pay for!

Guest nuttycaz

Hi ironmaggie!!!

That news sounds good to me!!! Bout the wood, will post again when I get the removals in for a quote!!!

Good luck with the job!!!

Yea cram it all in lol!!!!

Cazzy x

Guest ironmaggi

I have to say the guy at Allied was really helpful - told us a lot of things were urban myths i.e. the wood thing. Also said - if you take a car DON'T put stuff in it as customs go nuts as cars and household things are seperate departments. Also suggested car shipment via a car transporter rather than in a big empty box. Said Airpets were very good for cats.... we learnt a lot - just hoping that hubbie's firm allow us to use them but I think we'll be going with someone else :( still - it's free :twisted:

Guest nuttycaz

Hi

We are takin our cat too!

Cargo peeps at Manchester said that will probs b around £750 for transport..... makes u laf doesn't it!!! Probs more to fly the cat over than me!!!

Chat again

Cazzy x

Guest ironmaggi

i know what you mean! when one of my cats needed an MRI they quoted £1000...for a head the size of my fist! I said...could I just have my whole body done [which costs £375] and him lie next to me! Still...my fat cat will get her money's worth in food alone :-)

• 1 month later...

I think £3,500 - £4,500 is the going rate for a 20 foot (standard) container including having the removal company pack everything for you.

It is pretty reasonable it cost my brother-in-law about £2000 just to move from Brisbane to Tassie and he did the packing.

It is worth taking everything because inevitably you will want to take somethings - personal stuff that can't be replaced - and once you are over baggage allowance you are into shipping anyway so...... and it can be comforting to have some familiar stuff around you as you settle in.

It is better to have stuff packed for you as Oz customs are happier with this - and are less likely to want to go through all of your stuff.

Archived