This timeline and info thread is for those who have lodged their applications post 1st July,2012, under the new skillselect scheme.
The Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186) is for skilled workers from outside Australia or skilled temporary residents who currently live and work in Australia. It is part of the permanent Employer Sponsored visa program.
To apply for this visa, you must:
- be nominated by an approved employer
- be younger than 50 years of age
- meet the skills and qualifications requirements
- meet English language requirements.
If you are nominated to apply for this visa, you must lodge your application online within six months of the date the nomination was approved.
When you apply, you must select one of the visa’s three streams.
- Choose the Temporary Residence Transition stream if you are a subclass 457 visa holder who has worked for your employer for two years in the nominated occupation and your employer wants to offer you a permanent position in that occupation.
- Choose the Direct Entry stream if you have never, or only briefly, worked in the Australian labour market and have not held a subclass 457 visa for the last two years, or if you are applying directly from outside Australia.
- Choose the Agreement stream if you are being sponsored by an employer through a tailored and negotiated labour agreement or regional migration agreement.