cost of living

Guest jocky boy

• 1 month later...

Hi John

Been over here on a WH Visa for just over a month and am living and working in Melbourne. In process of applying for residency.

Over here, some things are cheap - like eating out well and if you get your groceries from the market - supermarkets here are not that good in my opinion in terms of choice and quality and value.

Cities are more expensive, with Sydney being the most so. I find the public transport fairly cheap in comparison to how much I paid in England. Melbourne transport is excellent.

I have to stop thinking in terms of pounds instead look to see what my money can buy. Books are very expensive (brand new - as they are imported from London) - best to go on the internet for DVDs and books in general.

Rent is OK outside of the city, in the regional areas things are very cheap.

What I noticed here though is they are a bit behind materialisitically but that is maybe why there is a better lifestyle. There isn't that constant rush. A lot of people here in Melbourne complain about Sydney - that its dirty and busy, and yes it is compared to Mel or the other main cities, but compared to London - not so much.

Regarding salaries, I've had to put that lower down on my list in terms of I feel I have to start again and prove myself. Luckily someone has given me that chance here. You can check agency websites for salary surveys in your occupation. But I think most people here that I have gotten to know who have migrated had to start lower than the equivalent to what they earned to prove themselves in a new country.

Hope that helped?

• 9 months later...
Guest paulwbafc

I found a cost of living calculator and it worked out if you earn 18k in uk you get for that money in australia standard of living as if you was on 35k in uk. Wages about same so expect standard of living to be 40% better off downunder

I know nursing wages in WA are alot lower, We were in Brisbane last year, paid as alnost as much for a bottle of wine there as at home, supermarkets don't have a lot of choice and don't expect shopping like at Tesco's or Asda. I've heard also that supermarkets are more expensive than corner shops

Ali

Guest paulwbafc

i know they charge more for imports to get you to buy aussie goods so if its things imported from uk etc, familiar brands they charge more but an aussie equivelent is cheaper

Archived