New Beginnings!

Guest sunflower

Guest sunflower

Hi :D

I'm at the start of the plan for immigration via the skills cat. - alone :roll: Seems such a huge hurdle both in time and cost, but so worth it I'm sure. An opportunity not to be missed!

Who else is going it going alone? I could use a motivation boost.

Still waiting for a response from the NZ nursing council. Hoping to get to OZ via Trans tasman agreement. Perth/Fremantle seemed like a good place to head for.

Any hints/tips on emigrating/nursing in OZ would be greatly received.

Cheers

Guest kazzy01

Hi Sunflower

I'm not a nurse, but am headed out to Oz by myself as well. It does seem like a lot of people are doing it as families, but I'm of the opinion if I don't do it now, I never will.

Good luck

Guest sunflower
Hi Sunflower

I'm not a nurse, but am headed out to Oz by myself as well. It does seem like a lot of people are doing it as families, but I'm of the opinion if I don't do it now, I never will.

Good luck

Thanks Kazzy

Yes, would rather try than live with what ifs..

Where are you heading to and from? Do you have any contacts over there? what job do you do?

Hi

I am moving to Sydney at the end of September on my own!! I am also worrying that most people going are in families or couples but sure there are lots of us singles out there too??!

:D

Guest kazzy01

Hi Sunflower

I am an accountant, currently living just outside London. I've been thinking about going to Oz for several years to visit and I finally made it this year. I spent about 8 weeks out there and just loved it, but am too old to apply for a WHV, so skilled migration is the only way I can go.

I'm undecided between Melbourne or Perth. I loved Melbourne whilst there, but heard amazing things about Perth so even though I haven't been there, I am considering it. When I finally get my visa (waiting for my skills assessment to come back at the moment) I intend to travel around Oz for about 6 months before looking for work.

I met a few people while over there earlier in the year, but to be honest I think it's really easy to meet people over there.

Where are you headed?

Guest sunflower

Hi Kazzy, :)

I'm heading to Perth area, a city with facilities, but laid back, with a feeling of space. Of course the river and sea on your doorstep. Like yourself I spent a couple of months travelling around the country. It was Fremantle I found most appealing, buildings etc, seemed to have some atmosphere about it. WA is so huge, I only managed to get as far north as Geraldton, and south as Rockingham (i think it was called). It seems there are many pretty places along the coast of WA, also the National parks, looking forward to visiting them. I guess Melbourne would have been a definate second choice, but Sydney felt like going from one bustling city to another, great harbour though.

What parts did you visit, what did you think?

Would've have liked to see Tasmania whilst I was there, but the usual, not enough time and money to see everything. Especially as it was NZ I was living/visiting, and was only meant to go to Great Barrier Reef!. Funny how life goes..

I'm trying to apply before its too late 'agewise', just got my application form to update my nursing practising certificate.... so ball is finally rolling...

How long does it take for your assessment to come back? keep me posted.

Guest sunflower

Hi SJ

Cheers, yes I reckon there are plenty of singles around, especially in a large city such as Sydney. Always seems daunting with no travelling partner to share the excitment/anxieties with. But hey what an adventure! :D - remind me I said that when I'm pulling my hair out further down the line..

Have you been before?, and what job offer did you get?

Guest kazzy01

Hi Sunflower

I spent about 6 weeks there, spent 2 of those in Tas which I loved. It is absolutely spectacular and I would definitely recommend that you get down there. It is stunning and if you like walking, it's brilliant. Only problem that I saw with it is that Hobart and Launceston (the two biggest cities in Tas) are about the size of a small town in the UK. Not great for job prospects, but I could definitely see why people visit there.

I spent some time in Sydney (felt like any other big city to me) and the Blue Mountains, then Melbourne, Adelaide, Uluru and Kangaroo Island. What I loved is that it is all so different. I didn't see any of the East Coast or West, but enough to make me think I'd like to go over for a couple of years and see how I get on.

I should hear back any time now about my skills assessment, but by definite at the end of August. I feel like I'm putting everything on hold at the moment waiting to receive that letter. Not quite sure what I will do if I don't get a positive outcome.

How long it your nursing certificate likely to take to get sorted?

Kazzy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sunflower

Hi Kazzy

On nights for 9 so brain dead at the mo

Umm not sure how long the nursing certificate will take, still waiting for UK council to send me verification form. I think I then have to apply to Oz council for skills assesment.

Have you heard anything yet?

Archived