Car licencing

Guest Bet

I know that most states have different rules in relation to Brits driving down under, anyone got any idea about the regualtions for the state of Vicotira. I seem to recall something which said that you can drive on a British Driving licence for 3 months, but then yesterday I read that you can drive for up to 12 months on a UK driving licence before you take you written and practical test, slightly confused?

Guest mark78
I know that most states have different rules in relation to Brits driving down under, anyone got any idea about the regualtions for the state of Vicotira. I seem to recall something which said that you can drive on a British Driving licence for 3 months, but then yesterday I read that you can drive for up to 12 months on a UK driving licence before you take you written and practical test, slightly confused?

In Victoria, you have 3 months, and then need to get a OZ licence from VIC Roads - They're the Govt body which looks after licences/car registration in Vic.

See this link on how to obtain one...

http://www.tinyurl.com/bcxgt

Thanks Mark, just double check from reading the information as per the link you sent, as we have Uk Driving Licences we will not be required to take either the written or driving test? We will just have to produce our UK Driving Licence and other relevant documents and we will get our Victoria Driving licence. Great news if correct!!!!!! I am so lucky to hav come across this forum, the answer to all my queries.

Bet

Guest mark78
Thanks Mark, just double check from reading the information as per the link you sent, as we have Uk Driving Licences we will not be required to take either the written or driving test? We will just have to produce our UK Driving Licence and other relevant documents and we will get our Victoria Driving licence. Great news if correct!!!!!! I am so lucky to hav come across this forum, the answer to all my queries.

Bet

Yeah no tests are needed, because the UK has similar driving rules, and you drive on the right side of the road (the left) that means it's just a matter of showing your UK licence and all is sorted. This comes in handy if you're low on UK points, as you'll be issued a full, fresh 12 point licence. :wink:

Be careful though, because oz is full of speed cameras. Victoria is by far the worst state for this. It's not uncommon for people to get fined for only do 5kms over the speed limit, in VIC.

It's probably a good idea to get the licence as soon as you have an address, as this will be great proof of ID, which will make it easier to open a Bank Account, amongst other things...

Thanx Mark, my fountain of knowledge :D:D:D Just a further question, if you have any driving offences on your licence, yeah the other half when he was an ankle bitter got done for drink driving, which will stay on his UKlicence for 10 years, be shown on his new Auzzie licence or do you get a fresh new licence, stating time of licence (date you hand in your UK licence)? Also is it pretty much the same as here ringin around for your car insurance and getting the best quote, once agreeing getting your cover and making initial cover having insurance cover on your vehicle.

Guest mark78
Thanx Mark, my fountain of knowledge :D:D:D Just a further question, if you have any driving offences on your licence, yeah the other half when he was an ankle bitter got done for drink driving, which will stay on his UKlicence for 10 years, be shown on his new Auzzie licence or do you get a fresh new licence, stating time of licence (date you hand in your UK licence)? Also is it pretty much the same as here ringin around for your car insurance and getting the best quote, once agreeing getting your cover and making initial cover having insurance cover on your vehicle.

When he gets an Australian Licence, it will be a complete new start with a clean record. You keep your UK licence, so you will have both.

Not sure about Ireland, but in oz, drink driving is is a criminal offence, and is on your criminal record.

With insurance, if you have any no claims bonus in Ireland, ask your Insurance company to provide a letter showing this. Basically, because when you get to oz I'm pretty sure some, if not all, insurance companies will allow you to keep that no claims bonus.

If you've had any driving accidents or loss of licence in the last 5 years, when applying for car insurance you need to disclose this. Obviously if this has happened, your premium will be higher compared to someone who has a clean record.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just come back from a couple of years in Tasmania. The system there (and I can't believe it is much different in the other states is as follows)

If you move there on a permanent visa you have 3 months to get an Australian licence.

In Tasmania that involves taking a computer based theory test and a road test.

':D' Don't forget to take a letter from your UK insurance company saying how much no claims bonus you had. You will be able to use it to get a no claims alowance in Oz.

If on a temporary visa you drive for up to 12 months on your UK licence.

Guest ABCDiamond

Theory Tests:

Currently (Dec 2005) only QLD and TAS require that a Full UK licence holder need to take a written test (about 30 multiple choice questions) when getting an Australian State Driving licence.

With NSW, ACT, SA, VIC and WA it is basically just a case of filling in the forms and showing them your UK licence, taking an eye test, having your photo taken (try to look good on the day you go in) and paying them.

Not sure about NT :)

In most States, visiting drivers are not required to obtain an Australian Driver Licence providing their overseas licence is are current. A visiting driver is a person from overseas who arrives in Australia with NO intention of becoming a permanent resident.

However: Temporary visa holders in WA can drive on a UK licence for ONLY 12 months: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/mylicence/overseas.html

A Permanent Resident is allowed to drive for 3 months before needing an Australian Licence, after that period they would be classed as driving without a valid licence, and prosecuted accordingly. (Trust me, I was prosecuted :) )

Ignore any references to "International Driving Permits (IDP)", as these are not required for UK licence holders. They are required when your normal licence is in a different language, and must accompany your VALID National licence. An IDP is NOT a licence in itself, but effectively just a Translation of your licence.

Hi just to add that for us in Vic there was no need for the eye test, just take in your Uk license fill in the forms, have photo taken and pay the fee. easy really but it is worth reading through the Vic roads driving booklet so that you know about any little differences that there are.

You don't need to apply for a Vic License if you are here on a temporary visa (ie 457) but must do it within 3 months of getting PR as ABCD said.

Nicky

Archived