N.Ireland family looking info on moving to Brisbane

jt spark

Hi,

we are a family of four from Co.Antrim in N.Ireland and are hoping to make the move down under.

We have a few concerns and would appreciate some feed back on the following points,

• I am a 38 yrs old fully qualified industrial/installation Electrician and would be the main applicant for visas etc.For the last 10 yrs i have been working as a commercial catering technician and am also qualified as a registered Gas Safe fitter.I would like to know if anyone knows what job opportunities would there be in this field of work around the Brisbane area.
  • Our two kids are aged 6 & 8.I would like to know more about the Public/Private school system in Brisbane,after school clubs etc.Also info on childcare facilities.
  • What life is like living in Brisbane social,recreation etc

Thanks for reading this and looking forward to your replies.

Hi First off Brisbane is hugeeeeee so the quality of whats avaliable and standard of schools does and can very area to area.. To look at rental and housing choices and costs Realestate.com is probably one of the better sites.

Most schools have a before and after school club that also does day care in the holidays. There are more sports clubs than you could possibly particpate in,lol, so your kids shouldnt ever get bored.

Job wise - have you had a look at sites such as Seek.com, alljobs.com and careerone ? These are the bigger job sites and should give you an idea of whats around.

Once you have narrowed down which part of Brisbane you are facying ,it will be easier to pinpoint activites and schools in and around that area.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Can't help you with the first part (jobs).

My son (5) is in the public school system here. We did a lot of research on the myschool website where you can find out lots of information about different schools. Also talked to people on here about schools and areas. The private school system (especially Catholic schools) are cheaper than the UK but can have long waiting lists.

There are some very good state schools - a lot of them seem to be fairly close to the CBD - within around 10km I would say. We are further out (19km north) and there are some good schools up here but they tend to be larger. Some good ones this side are Albany Creek, Eatons Hill and McDowall.

There is so much to do in Brisbane for families. Every weekend there are festivals and events. The amount of parks is amazing. You have the beaches at Redcliffe etc and further up at the Sunshine coast. Tamborine Mountain, the theme parks at the Gold Coast. You can get fairly cheap locals passes for places like the theme parks. Australia Zoo up on the sunshine coast. We have the Jinker Track near us where we went last weekend for walking and my son took his bike.

We love living in Brisbane.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your replies to my thread,bit of an update from us,we have just returned from our hols in oz,we visited Sydney,Canberra & Brisbane areas,we soon realised it is a very big place,we loved Brisbane,Coolnagatta etc.

We now know oz is the place for us,so now we have to start the process of applying through skill select etc,does any one have any experience of this system,we would love to hear from you.Take care.

Guest Pinklily

Hi Jt Spark..just wondering if you;re going to use a migration agent or do the process yourself? I am interested to hear what others with children are doing. I sat my IELTS exam in Dublin last weekend and am awaiting results. We are using a Dublin based migration agent.

Hi Pinklily,after much thought and chatting to others i am going to use a migration agent as to do it yourself is a minefield and we dont want to mess it up,i think it will be money well spent,we never thought this whole process of getting to oz would be as ddifficult as this,as for kids were still none the wiser as we hear different stories all the time,how long will you have to wait on your results?Did someone recommend your agent to you?