Travel After Citizenship Application But Before Test

hoorayhenry

Hello All

I am applying for citizenship on 30 July, 4 years to the day that I arrived in Oz.

A few days later I need to return to the UK for 6 weeks (family matters) - the question is:

Will I be able to inform DIAC that I am away for that period of time and will they be able to send me a test date after this period. OR, do I definitely have to stay in Oz until I have taken the test?

I know I am 'allowed' out of the country whilst I wait for my ceremony date but I am not sure if I am allowed out of the country whilst I wait for my test date.

Many thanks

HH

You can ring the test centres and book your appointment/interview,we did, it might be easiest to do it this way if your out of the country for a while. Your citizenship wouldnt be valid anyway until youve passed the test and been to your ceremony(which can take months).

Cal x

Guest Guest26012

Yes you have to be in oz for four years before you can apply for citizenship. Then you have to take the test and pay for it. Following that you do a citizenship ceremony and become a citizen of Australia.

So do you have to do a test before you can become a citizen...What is in this test... Sorry for asking, just that i never knew about it...:animal-sheep:

You are required to pass the Citzienship test before you can proceed on to a ceremony. There is a book availble free of charge for you to use for revision. I highly recommend you get it and spend a couple of weeks swatting up before attempting the test. On line practice tests are also useful.

This link will give you further info -

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/learn/cit_test/

Cal x

It will be 6 years early November.. Its weird as it feels like youve been here for ever but on the flip side it feels like only yesterday that you arrived,,lol.. I still learn something new about this country and it's workings on a weekly basis,,,the place is hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,lol

Cal x

Hi Cal

Thanks for that.

I was just wondering what year you did your test. I was under the impression that you used to be able to book your test but that you can't book it now - I thought you just had to wait for a date to be sent.

Do you, or anyone else, know if that is the case.

Thanks x

We took our test in 2009 and phoned so it may be different now. How long are you going to be out of the country? It may be better to wait until you come back, or attach something to your application to say you'll be unavailable until such a date.