The IT field Thread

PW1

Guest hoffer

So are you technical if so what skills?

If not technical what are your project management skills like?

Hi all.

I have around 7 years experiance as an Implementation/Delivey consultant in the UK, and have been looking for work in Brisbane for about 5 months. I'm sorry to say that I have received next to no response or feedback from any of the 100 or so applications I have submitted. I have a small amount of Australian experiance from a project a few years ago, but it doesn't seem to count for much. The market seems pretty dead or perhaps over saturated at the moment.

I have tried both recruitment agents and contacting companies directly. There certainly seems to be a 'who you know' rather than 'what you know' culture here. I have been told that a few times too.

Sadly I think I may have to return to the UK where I might have some more success.

Gutted. :(

PS: I don't want to put anyone off coming here. I really like it, but just wanted to let you know what I have experienced.

100 applications in 5 months works out about just over 1 per day. No offence, but when i was made redundant in the UK i made about 100 applications every 2 weeks, (i know this, as i had to demonstrate that i was applying to get my jobseekers allowance so kept the applications logged in a spreadsheet). Can you revisit / chase up the older ones as 5 months is a long time. Bear in mind that the financial year starts again in July, and alot of places tend to freeze recruitment in the weeks / months leading up to year end, so new year new chances etc.

Have you thought about varying the industries you apply to and looking at the skills you have and what other job 'titles' might apply??? Also is this permanent vs contracting?

I wish you luck

Thanks Kevsan.

I can't say I have counted the applications so it is probably more than 100. Whatever the number is, I have applied for everything remotely close to what I do, under a variety of titles. Both permanent and contract.

Although you may have a point about the new financial year. I'm not sure I can afford to wait any longer though.

Hoffer... I am more functional than technical. My background is in healthcare and pharmaceuticals. My SQL skills are fairly good and I can build complex business processes.

I have managed projects before, but have no formal qualifications. Which everyone seems to want. I have applied for project management roles too.

Edited by CRP82

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hoffer

Ok Just in case anyone with the skills is looking i need the following

Oracle DBA - RAC etc

Linux Sys Admin with Oracle DBA skills

Oracle Exadata DBA's

Contract and Perm to work for me.

Give me a shout if interested

• 1 month later...
Ok Just in case anyone with the skills is looking i need the following

Oracle DBA - RAC etc

Linux Sys Admin with Oracle DBA skills

Oracle Exadata DBA's

Contract and Perm to work for me.

Give me a shout if interested

Hi Hoffer,

I am not sure whether this offer is still valid. Just in case, let you know I worked as a Oracle Flexcube (Financial solutions from Oracle) systems analyst for 07 years in Dubai for a private commercial bank. Have had similar experiences of working with Oracle DB and AIX systems. Surely I was not a fulltime DBA, however last 10 years I am working with SQLs, RACs, Oracle databases and similar tools so I am pretty confident about these applications. Just wondering whether my profile interrests you?

I have been in Oz for 8 years. 30 years IT experience with great companies in the UK, glowing references.

I am good at what I do. Never out of work in the UK

Aus is a total nightmare. Never been jerked around so much. Short term contracts (not looking for contract particularly) with crap money.

Even here I am always told they want to keep me, but no budget etc. Contracts end and I am let go. Months between jobs.

I have moved into application support here as I never managed to get analyst/programmer jobs. Wide variety of skills which can be good or bad depending on the hirers viewpoint.

Just took a job and being paid as a graduate. Money not really the issue, but it is a p**s take. Manager wanted me, his manager wanted a grad.

Also its a Brisbane job which I really fancy with a view to moving there. Skills will be learnt in banking, ASP.NET, C# so hopefully lead to more in demand opportunities for my last few years.

I am an oldie ! Might be partly the reason for my problems, but still being messed about.

However, you only need one good job and none of it matters.

Hi, I have recently moved to Australia and need sponsorship to work here. I have 8 years of experience in testing and have worked in India, USA and UK. any inputs regarding sponsorship?

Try PlanIT and look at whether any of the states are sponsoring, they were last time I looked, can't remember which state though.

• 3 weeks later...

What jobs? Who are you applying with? Perm or contract?

Permanent roles for Architect type roles are fairly strong at the moment, and that usually indicates markets picking up. I am in Melbourne and we are recruiting as are the clients we work with. We currently have about 50 roles nationwide across security, networks, architecture, Wintel, DBA's, Mainframes, storage, ESX,CRM, and guys i know who work in IT are also recruiting in webapps and testing as well.

Permanent roles for Architect type roles are fairly strong at the moment, and that usually indicates markets picking up. I am in Melbourne and we are recruiting as are the clients we work with. We currently have about 50 roles nationwide across security, networks, architecture, Wintel, DBA's, Mainframes, storage, ESX,CRM, and guys i know who work in IT are also recruiting in webapps and testing as well.

Hi kevsan,

I'm looking for work now that we've settled, are any of these positions on the gold coast ?

My LinkedIn profile if anyone wants to connect

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mtdmitchell

Apparently looking for a Workload and Cloud Architect based in Brisbane, and a Midmarket Business Development Manager (whatever the hell that is)

But we also are always on the lookout for people. - It is easier for some roles if you are happy to travel interstate on occasion as most of the key work is in Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney.

I've worked in Melbourne onsite , but currently have projects in Perth and Sydney and about to start a new one in Canberra. Didnt have to travel to Perth (yet), travelled to Sydney for an hours meeting! and Canberra might be a couple of days a week for a while.

That kind of thing suits some people, not others. That being said, one of my colleagues worked in brisbane for 7 years either from the office or from home and has only just in the last month had to go to Sydney. I only met him face to face when we went on a work junket to Singapore in May.

PM me with your CV and i'll happily pass it on.

Edited by kevsan

Hi Kevsan, I am an experienced DBA and would be glad to know openings you have. Can you please PM me your business contact or website?

• 1 month later...
Hi Kevsan, I am an experienced DBA and would be glad to know openings you have. Can you please PM me your business contact or website?

Hi hook turn, where ru based and what do u class as experienced dba? Job market in Brisbane quite saturated apparently...

hi Ip77, I am based in Melbourne. I have more than 10years experience in oracle and sqlserver DBs

Hookturn,

Maybe contact these guys, they have a number of WFH options.

https://www.pythian.com/career-opportunities/

Also have your heard of this firm: http://www.uxc.com.au/

They do not have anything posted at the moment, but you could contact and discuss.

• 6 months later...

On 489 visa

16+ Years experience in various roles from Infor BI, Microsoft BI, Yellowfin BI, SAP Basis, MS-SQL Admin and Developer, C# Software Development, Crystal Reports

Worked in US, Germany, Japan, Malaysia

Aus working experience - 6 months (on the 400 visa)

Looking for opportunities and will be available from 3rd week of Aug.

• 3 weeks later...

thats a pretty vague question. - what are you wanting to know? there is a still a market, people are still recruiting, projects are still ongoing etc etc.Its getting to EOFY so some put a freeze on recruitment (perm and contractor) others prefer spend their budget before the year is up, horse for courses.

I've personally just finished a project for the state government where i was screaming out for resources across exchange, Skype, Win10, Oracle, networking, IDM, MDM amongst others.

13 hours ago, nastasia said:

Can anyone provide an update on the current IT job market in Melbourne?

Agree it's a vague question but to answer honestly, the market is fine. If your question is around typical IT jobs in development, testing, PM, PMO then this generic answer to the generic questions works. If you ask specifically about what kind of technology in the vast world of changing IT you want to know about then you may get a better, more specific answer

Otherwise, yes the market is fine in general

KnK

I have been in oz now nearly 2 years working for 1.3 years, the market is fine but many companies will not touch expats that do not have any Australian experience.  It took me 7 months to find work, had plenty of interviews / phone calls but even though I was qualified and perfect match for the job I never got any call backs.

Good luck in everyone's search.