Can I open a bank account on a tourist visa?

BritChickx

You could check with Commonwealth Bank in London, they can open the account from the UK if they allow you to have one on a Tourist Visa

https://www.commbankuk.co.uk/

Alternatively you could use the Cash Passport from Travelex, you pre-load it with cash and if you lose it they can replace it, works like a debit card

http://www.cashpassport.com/1/en/uk/

Guest Longtime Lurker
Cool thanks :)

I did have an ANZ one but they closed it! Bizarre don't know why they'd do that.

How do they do credit checks and stuff then if you're on a tourist visa?

Perhaps the credit checks are less vigorous as you are unlikely to get much of an overdraft facility. In fact if you are not going to be in paid employment you might not get one at all - but that is a guess as I have long since given up trying to work out why banks make some of the decisions they do!

Guest Longtime Lurker

Perhaps just send the banks an email and see what their responses are - pick the one which charges the least. My daughter has a Cash Passport which was useful at the time - she had two cards on the one account and could top up. Worth looking at the charges before signing up as some charge for cash at an ATM etc.

Guest The Pom Queen
Cool thanks :)

I did have an ANZ one but they closed it! Bizarre don't know why they'd do that.

How do they do credit checks and stuff then if you're on a tourist visa?

They don't bother with credit checks but you will need your 100 point ID probably as you've been before. The NAB accounts are suitable for students as well.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for that Kate, and everyone :) we'll probably go with Nab. Would they let us open a joint account dya reckon? if for whatever reason I can't get one tho Paul can still.

Yes no problem.

Guest The Pom Queen
Gooood....more evidence and all that.....lol.

Not taking anything with us tho gonna get my family to send over any work things or evidence of our relationship when we're in new zealand. Don't wanna be seen on nothing to declare now :P

If you want to send anything to ours just give me a shout