Positives and negatives of living in Hobart/Tasmania

Guest scotsman72

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah great to see someone trying to drag Tassie into the 2000's with some real heating!

Now if we could just get people to understand that everyone else decided double glazing and insulation were AMAZING ideas 40 years ago, we might actually start keeping some of that heat inside the house!

Seriously though, good luck with the business :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Vivin,

i am an Indian Punjabi Guy who want to come in Tasmania & grow my carrier in IT field (Software engg / iOS Dev). I Hope, I do find work similar to my field. Any suggestion you have to give to me. The people do have a reputation for being friendly in Tasmania as you said I like that very much.

I am waiting for your positive reply.

Regards,

Friend

Because of its small population (500,000), employment opportunities in most areas are limited, including IT.

"runslikeafish" knows more about this area than me, so he may be able to give more detailed information when he sees this thread.

Have you been granted a visa to work in Australia?

Hi Karam. There is some IT work around in Hobart with a few companies providing development/software engineering services. I'm not sure about Launceston but I would think there are fewer companies there.

You're a lot more likely to make progress with these companies when you're actually in Tasmania on a working visa - are you currently here? Do you have a visa yet?

• 3 months later...
Thank you very much to all those who have taken time to post answers to my questions. Thanks to Vivien for kindly offering to answer more specific questions. All your answers give me a really nice feeling about a move to Tasmania and I am getting quite excited about the idea. My OH is going to a Australian health expo in Manchester on Wednesday to find out more about healthcare job opportunities and I have said to ask about jobs in Tasmania in particular! It would seem that nurses have quite a good chance of a job but from what Boganbear says (and I have seen this in other threads on this forum to)o that jobs in general are not that easy to come by.

One thing I found strange about Australia and we have only visited once was that there was a number of people who when they found out that we were British immediately concluded we were 'whinging Poms' and didn't want the British Royal family ruling over them! This was without the Royal Family even being mentioned by us! I am Scottish myself and whilst not anti monarchy can understand why Australians don't want the Queen reigning over them so was quite bemused by this reaction to our presence. It was almost like they had a chip on their shoulder about it. Is this a typical Australian thing? Would anyone say that Tasmanians reflect this attitude more or less than other Australians? By the way I am not the type to whinge either!

Hi Scotsman, we have been in SA for 15 years and i have found that it really does depend on the environment (social) as to the type of reaction poms get, i have worked in the mines, gas fields and office environments and believe me the reception from each is very different. So what i am saying is dont judge all by some you may have met. i get a lot of stick for being a pom but i also give a lot out -its just the way i am and its all in jest anyway, they (yes, now i am generalising) seem to appreciate the pommy sense of humour and i like to take the p**s so it works pretty well in the main.:wink:

• 8 months later...
Can anyone tell me what areas of Tasmania do you find the most scots ? thank you

Do you mean people born in Scotland...or looks the most like Scotland?

If the former...they are scattered throughout the state. There is an interactive map here...Weymouth on the north coast has 4.7% born in Scotland...but they are very small numbers overall.

I'm originally from Hobart and my mum is still in Launceston.

I wouldn't move back there under any circumstances.

Positives: Cheap housing, close to beautiful wilderness.

Negatives: Fairly cold by Australian standards, lower wages, few jobs, less property capital gain, most parochial of the capitals, somewhat inward looking, bit backwards and of course also fairly remote.

What other people see as friendly and laid back I see as people being nosey and in your business but that is probably more to do with me adjusting to London life than anything.

Just my opinion- I'm sure it would be a great place for some, just not for me.

Do you mean people born in Scotland...or looks the most like Scotland?

If the former...they are scattered throughout the state. There is an interactive map here...Weymouth on the north coast has 4.7% born in Scotland...but they are very small numbers overall.

I be talking about the people where would a scot got to like in Tasmania and feel they are living amongst their ain folk. eg. if they went to Adelaide they would live in Elizabeth.

• 3 weeks later...

I retired to Tasmania last year. I chose to live in Devonport on the north coast. Love it here. I came to Australia from Scotland 34 years ago and never liked the heat of the Australian mainland summers. Sydney and Brisbane both too humid though I did like the dry heat of Perth WA. The summers here are lovely and I enjoy having four proper seasons again.

I retired to Tasmania last year. I chose to live in Devonport on the north coast. Love it here. I came to Australia from Scotland 34 years ago and never liked the heat of the Australian mainland summers. Sydney and Brisbane both too humid though I did like the dry heat of Perth WA. The summers here are lovely and I enjoy having four proper seasons again.

I can relate to that! We are going back to the UK for the same reason - can't take the heat any more. If the UK doesn't work for us and we decide to come back to Oz, Tassie will be our destination.

Welcome, JockinTas! Devonport is a lovely part of the state. I have many fond memories of my 9 years living on the north west coast.

I love the changes of the four distinct seasons...really missed them when I was living on the mainland.

Hello Skani! Thanks for the welcome. Yes, we used to come on holiday to Tasmania and I always wanted to live here but both of us had good jobs in Sydney so waited until we retired. Hobart is just the loveliest wee city. Been here nearly a year but haven't made it to Hobart yet (stayed there on previous holidays though). We will get there one of those days. Just enjoying living right by the sea and going for long walks with my wee dog and doing a lot of exploring of this lovely island.

• 2 weeks later...