Any UK Clinical Psychologists out there?!

ztjt2003

HiI am a Consultant Clinical Psychologist working in the NHS in the UK and have just had my skills assessed by the APS. They have just come back as assessing me with the code for Psychologist NEC rather than Clinical Psychologist and other than it being a mistake, which I have my fingers crossed for, I have no idea why. Has anyone else been through their skills assessment and how did you get on?Keen to hear from anyoneThanksZoe

• 8 months later...

I am struggling with the same situation. It seems the set-up is completely different to the UK. Clinicla Psychology is a specislism you only apply for once your have registered as a general psychologist. We are leaving in 2 month's time but I am still waiting for AHPRA (similar to HPC) to consider my application and it has been 5 weeks now (they say 4-6 weeks on their website)- so finger crossed! Where are you in teh process?

• 3 months later...

We're finding the same thing - my wife is a Clinical Psychologist in the UK, and she's just been assessed by the APS under 272399 ("Psychologists nec"), and not 272311 ("Clinical Psychologist").

So far the APS have suggested they can't put her down as 272311 without her being registered with the Psychology Board of Australia ... which in turn requires her to have the APS provide evidence that she's suitable for migration. Having to get the APS to grant her 272399 first in order to use to pay and sign up as a PsyBA member while still working in the UK, and then to be reassessed by the APS later not only sounds very convoluted, but I'm not even sure it works like that or makes any sense.

At the moment our choice seems to be:

1) Go ahead with 272399 (Psychologists nec) and apply with that - we have 70 points on the points system to go with it, I think.

2) Wait, possibly months, and pay extra, to attempt to be reclassified as 272311 (Clinical Psychologist) which may not even be possible.

ztjt2003 and zcmarlene, did you manage to resolve this issue at all?

Does/did it harm your chances of migration to be listed as 272399 Psychologists Nec instead of 272311 Clinical Psychologist?

At the moment we're struggling to see how anyone can be classified as 272311, but you'd think it must be possible, else why have it on the list? I suppose if all clinical psychologists are having the same problem, and all going down as Psychologists Nec, then this levels the playing field... the worry of course is that everyone else has worked out how to be a 272311 Clinical Psychologist, and we're the only ones who can't figure it out! ;)

Our migration agent tells us that they tend to pick you out of the EOI pool based on groups - the first four digits of your code - and that therefore 2723-99 and 2723-11 are equally likely to be selected to apply for a visa, so we've just gone with 272399... will see how that goes. Still have no idea what other clinical psychologists are doing - would be interesting to know.

Hi I'm new to this forum, I am about to start the process of getting my psychology qualifications approved for APS membership, is there anyone out there who knows if UK qualifications accredited by the BPS are accepted/ approved by the APS, I have a degree and masters, but the masters was only one year fulltime and not two years as the APS seems to prefer? Also has anyone had any difficulties getting recognition for an hons degree from the Open University?

Good luck everyone

Jackie

We're finding the same thing - my wife is a Clinical Psychologist in the UK, and she's just been assessed by the APS under 272399 ("Psychologists nec"), and not 272311 ("Clinical Psychologist").

So far the APS have suggested they can't put her down as 272311 without her being registered with the Psychology Board of Australia ... which in turn requires her to have the APS provide evidence that she's suitable for migration. Having to get the APS to grant her 272399 first in order to use to pay and sign up as a PsyBA member while still working in the UK, and then to be reassessed by the APS later not only sounds very convoluted, but I'm not even sure it works like that or makes any sense.

At the moment our choice seems to be:

1) Go ahead with 272399 (Psychologists nec) and apply with that - we have 70 points on the points system to go with it, I think.

2) Wait, possibly months, and pay extra, to attempt to be reclassified as 272311 (Clinical Psychologist) which may not even be possible.

ztjt2003 and zcmarlene, did you manage to resolve this issue at all?

Does/did it harm your chances of migration to be listed as 272399 Psychologists Nec instead of 272311 Clinical Psychologist?

At the moment we're struggling to see how anyone can be classified as 272311, but you'd think it must be possible, else why have it on the list? I suppose if all clinical psychologists are having the same problem, and all going down as Psychologists Nec, then this levels the playing field... the worry of course is that everyone else has worked out how to be a 272311 Clinical Psychologist, and we're the only ones who can't figure it out! ;)

Hi,

I started the thread and have now emigrated successfully as a clinical psychologist 272311. I have been here since February on a state sponsored visa. It is possible if you have patience!! After getting your assessment as psychologist NEC with the APS. You then apply to AHPRA for registration as a psychologist, then for endorsement as a clinical psychologist. I did this in 2 stages but believe you can submit both together. Once you understand it the info you have to send is ok just thorough. You apply for endorsement using the transition form. I don't know if there is equal likelihood for both types of psychologists for getting visa but clinical are definitely more in demand job wise and salary wise. Some states won't sponsor psychologists NEC but will clinical for example. Also, you can't work out here as a clinical without doing this process with AHPRA and getting registered so your wife might as well do it as she'll get paid less as a general psychologist. Also, with all the info and references she'll need it will be easier to do whilst in uk. Once out here its fab salaries and jobs a plenty in my experience!! Feel free to ask any questions. Your wife can pm me if you like and ill help with the forms as much as possible

Thanks for the info, Zoe :-) We've now put our Expression Of Interest in under 272399 because it seemed wise to get it in before July turns up and the rules change again ;-)

We're going for the independent skilled visa so don't need state sponsorship, so we're hoping that it doesn't matter whether we're down as 272399 or 272311 in order to get the visa sorted out... then once we've got that under way, she's hoping to get going with AHPRA as soon as possible to make sure she's got all the neccessary endorsements from them by the time we actually move so that even if we migrate under 272399, she'll still be properly set up to be an official Clinical Psychologist when it comes to getting jobs. We're told (hopefully it's true) that employers won't really look at the migration code, but more be looking for AHPRA's endorsement and a good CV etc.

Did you actually get assessed as 272311 up front at the start, before submitting your EOI? Or did you managed to change it later down the line?

Thanks for the info, Zoe :-) We've now put our Expression Of Interest in under 272399 because it seemed wise to get it in before July turns up and the rules change again ;-)

We're going for the independent skilled visa so don't need state sponsorship, so we're hoping that it doesn't matter whether we're down as 272399 or 272311 in order to get the visa sorted out... then once we've got that under way, she's hoping to get going with AHPRA as soon as possible to make sure she's got all the neccessary endorsements from them by the time we actually move so that even if we migrate under 272399, she'll still be properly set up to be an official Clinical Psychologist when it comes to getting jobs. We're told (hopefully it's true) that employers won't really look at the migration code, but more be looking for AHPRA's endorsement and a good CV etc.

Did you actually get assessed as 272311 up front at the start, before submitting your EOI? Or did you managed to change it later down the line?

Hi

sounds like a good plan! Employers don't care what job your visa says, they only want to see you're registered with AHPRA as a Clin psych. Then you get paid better as Clin psychs charge higher rates for treatments.

i did my EOI after I was registered with AHPRA, I don't think you can change profession on your visa application once you've done your EOI but for you that won't matter. You need to do AHPRA forms to the letter exactly how they say and you need original transcripts for degrees not just certificates, sent direct to them from the unis, not via you so you might want to start those enquiries. Also, you have to pay full AHPRA fees whatever point in the year you are registered. Bear that in mind as I paid a years in October and they were due again in November so depending on when you're going hang on till November! Your wife will need supervision and CPD records but you can get a supervisor to provide an overall letter if you don't want to provide 10 years worth of supervision records for example! Anyway, she can pm me about all that!

feel free to ask anymore questions, good luck!

zoe

• 2 months later...

Hi there

I'm so relieved to find this thread....

I'm in the final stages of registering as a psychologist with AHPRA and just wanted to pick someone's brains re CV etc.. e.g. where they request information about 'clinical skills'... the list is potentially endless if clinical skills were to be broken down e.g. socratic questioning, assessment, psychoeducation, cognitive restructuring (e.g. using daily thought records to change negative thinking patterns etc etc), behavioural modification techniques (e.g. graded exposure, activity scheduling...etc, - or is just an 'overview' more appropriate....?

Plus job descriptions, again, how much detail is appropriate?

I've just spotted the another post mentioning providing CPD logs and supervision info...! I didn't notice this on the AHPRA form? Any advice would be enormously appreciated!

Thanks!

MrsD

Hi there

I'm so relieved to find this thread....

I'm in the final stages of registering as a psychologist with AHPRA and just wanted to pick someone's brains re CV etc.. e.g. where they request information about 'clinical skills'... the list is potentially endless if clinical skills were to be broken down e.g. socratic questioning, assessment, psychoeducation, cognitive restructuring (e.g. using daily thought records to change negative thinking patterns etc etc), behavioural modification techniques (e.g. graded exposure, activity scheduling...etc, - or is just an 'overview' more appropriate....?

Plus job descriptions, again, how much detail is appropriate?

I've just spotted the another post mentioning providing CPD logs and supervision info...! I didn't notice this on the AHPRA form? Any advice would be enormously appreciated!

Thanks!

MrsD

Go overboard! Check out the internship framework (you should find a link on the AHPRA site) and write to those criteria just to be sure you cover all bases. It was so long ago that I registered that I dont know what the current application looks like - from memory, the renewal is basically a tick the box list where you just say that yes you have done the CPD, the supervision (if required) and x face to face hours. Supplementing with a resume in those areas covered by the framework might be useful. I'd also do the job description thing with relevant skills demonstrated in each role, your engagement in the supervision process for each (as supervisor and supervisee) and relevant CPD for each role. You are right, it is potentially endless but focus on the key areas and elaborate due to your experience. Just my thoughts - no guarantees in dealing with AHPRA they are notoriously fickle!

As an update on our 272311/272399 issue:

- We went ahead and put in the EOI on 272399 (Psychologists nec)

- EOI went in in time for 22 April 2013 sift, with 75 points, and accepted

- After a month or so of doing police and medical forms, Visa granted on 17 June 2013

So being "272399 Psychologists nec" doesn't seem to have had any negative influence compared to being "272311 Clinical Psychologist", since EOI went through first time, and Visa only took a couple of months to complete. :-)

So now I just leave her to battle her way through AHPRA, which sounds like the far more difficult task than getting the Visa! Glad that's her job, not mine, lucky wife ;-)

psymann

Go overboard! Check out the internship framework (you should find a link on the AHPRA site) and write to those criteria just to be sure you cover all bases. It was so long ago that I registered that I dont know what the current application looks like - from memory, the renewal is basically a tick the box list where you just say that yes you have done the CPD, the supervision (if required) and x face to face hours. Supplementing with a resume in those areas covered by the framework might be useful. I'd also do the job description thing with relevant skills demonstrated in each role, your engagement in the supervision process for each (as supervisor and supervisee) and relevant CPD for each role. You are right, it is potentially endless but focus on the key areas and elaborate due to your experience. Just my thoughts - no guarantees in dealing with AHPRA they are notoriously fickle!

Thanks Quoll, great advice, will check out the internship framework. Cheers, :)

• 8 months later...

Hi !

I'm a clinical psychologist recently settled in Melbourne. I've just received my APS assessment and I have to undertake the transitional program for 3 months under provisional registration and then pass the National Exam to be allowed to apply to general registration. Have any of you been through this process ? My concern is about how difficult it is to find a psychological position eligible for the program as most of the employers look for fully registered psychologists. Plus, once you've found a position, the board told me that you have to wait between 4 to 6 weeks before they process your application and grant you provisional registration. I guess it can discourage a lot of employers from hiring you. I wonder if I should contact directly employers and ask for 'intern' position rather than answering job ad. How did it go for you ?

Thanks

Laureline

Hi !

I'm a clinical psychologist recently settled in Melbourne. I've just received my APS assessment and I have to undertake the transitional program for 3 months under provisional registration and then pass the National Exam to be allowed to apply to general registration. Have any of you been through this process ? My concern is about how difficult it is to find a psychological position eligible for the program as most of the employers look for fully registered psychologists. Plus, once you've found a position, the board told me that you have to wait between 4 to 6 weeks before they process your application and grant you provisional registration. I guess it can discourage a lot of employers from hiring you. I wonder if I should contact directly employers and ask for 'intern' position rather than answering job ad. How did it go for you ?

Thanks

Laureline

Can't help I'm afraid the exam only came in late last year. There isn't a dearth of psychs unfortunately so getting a job could be rather tricky and the provisional psych program is a significant imposition on employers (and the individuals!). Good luck!

Hi !

Thanks

Laureline

Hi Laureline

i emigrated to Melbourne last year and a uK clinical psych and am working as a clinical psychologist here. PM me your info about your UK qualifications and experience as I may be able to help re: a position, depends where in Melbourne you are

Best wishes

Zoe

Hi !

Thanks

Laureline

Hi! I am in a similar position. I am a clinical psychologist from UK with 12 years post qualification NHS experience in intellectual disability and psychiatric rehabilitation in the community. I am arriving in Brisbane beginning of April and am awaiting my assessment from AHPRA. I expect it will be the same - 3 months transitional programme and exam. I'm fine about doing it, but I'm also unsure of the process - ie whether to just apply for jobs, and then ask about supervision if I am lucky enough to be shortlisted??? Or whether to approach services and ask for some kind of work experience arrangement.

I have also considered applying for case manager roles, as in my old job we did lots of social care tasks and care co-ordination. I'm a bit concerned that if I do end up with that sort of role, it may be more difficult to meet the requirements of APHRA. Does anyone have any tips or advice? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I am also in this position - AHPRA have confirmed that I'm provisionally registered upon condition of submitting (and having approved) a transitional programme and passing the exam. I share concerns about employers - but hope to start applying for jobs in the next couple of months so will let you know how I get on. Please keep this thread up to date with your progress too! I'm also concerned that we may not be able to provide medicare services whilst provisionally registered, making us even less employable? I'm looking in the Perth area, where I'm told there is a shortage, but will have to wait and see. I worry a bit that AHPRA haven't really thought this through, but I could be doing them an injustice.... Maybe it'll all be plain sailing!

Natalie

Hello. I am also in this position - AHPRA have confirmed that I'm provisionally registered upon condition of submitting (and having approved) a transitional programme and passing the exam. I share concerns about employers - but hope to start applying for jobs in the next couple of months so will let you know how I get on. Please keep this thread up to date with your progress too! I'm also concerned that we may not be able to provide medicare services whilst provisionally registered, making us even less employable? I'm looking in the Perth area, where I'm told there is a shortage, but will have to wait and see. I worry a bit that AHPRA haven't really thought this through, but I could be doing them an injustice.... Maybe it'll all be plain sailing!

Natalie

Yes, let's definitely keep each other updated! I agree with you - I think it is all quite new, and maybe some of the processes will need to be worked out a bit....

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see there will be a few of us. I have been looking at another thread on pomsinoz 're the amount of time ahpra has been taking to process applications by nurses - I think the criteria for nurses and midwives changed, seemingly causing a backlog... I applied to pages in january, hoping it would take 6-8 weeks, but I note that the website now says that overseas applications may take longer... I will just sit tight!!!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Here's an update a couple of months down the line for those pursuing a similar path..... I've responded to two job adverts (for Clinical Psychologists) in private practices so far in Perth WA. Both sounded keen - they replied within a few hours, said I had the qualifications and experience they were looking for, and that they had board approved supervisors (required for the Transitional Programme). However, upon looking into Provisional Registration and the Transitional Programme it was noted that under Provisional Registration I would not be eligible for a Medicare Provider Number, which was (as one potential employer eloquently put it) a 'sticking point'.

So, mixed news I think? People seem keen, but need to find a way to make the Transitional Programme work. I've now offered to work voluntarily for one of the above employers for the 3 month Transitional Programme to counter-balance the inconvenience, and am waiting to hear back. Alternatively, I guess practices with fewer Medicare referrals (do these practices exist?) might be able to meet the requirements. I assume that the state sector is entirely out of reach as it would all be Medicare?

I had a quick look at Internships on the Psychology Board of Australia website, and they recommend contacting supervisors directly to set up placements. However, the requirements for an Internship look more substantial than what is required of the Transitional Programme, and I was a little unsure as to what I would ask. But this looks like the next step if I don't get any further responding to job adverts.

I'd be very happy to hear that somebody else has already navigated this system, found a willing employer and is now happily working - any takers?!

Natalie

Hi everyone, I started this thread initially and have now been in Melbourne over a year. Clin psychs are definitely in demand here. I spoke with my boss whoa ages our practice and for the right psych he wouldn't be put off at all by the 3 months internship. I. Private practice it would be hard to be paid for it as you won't have a medicare number which is what you need to deliver services so clients get a rebate. In public services you don't need this so that may be a better place for the internship.

if any of you are coming to Melbourne any time soon, I'd be really interested in hearing from you as we have a job going in our practice at the moment for an experienced clin psych.

Happy to try and help or answer any questions!

zoe

Thank you Zoe, that's really helpful - I hadn't realised that the state sector didn't include Medicare. I've still got a lot to learn about the system - I thought Medicare was the equivalent of our NHS (but outsourced to private providers). It's also reassuring to know that there is a demand (in Melbourne, at any rate!), and potentially people not put off by the internship.

Natalie