I'm Taking the Plunge ......

Alluswe

Hi Everybody

I'm new to this site and to forums for that matter. I am about to take the plunge and fill out the forms for a contributory parent visa. My first grand child is a year old and, although I was in Oz 4 days after she was born, and she's been to London twice in the last 8 months, I simply cannot live without her so I'm going! My daughter and her husband a lovely squishy baby live in Sydney.

I'm finding the whole thing quite daunting though - procedurally I mean. Even the information about which visa to go for can be a challenge, but I've decided on the permanent, rather than the 2 year temporary visa. I can't see any real advantages for going for the 2 year temporary under the circumstances: I'm going permanently (I've been 3 times in 4 years and going again in August, so I know I can live there); it'll end up costing me a bit more to do it in 2 hits, rather than pay the whole lot up front; there don't appear to be any gains in terms of the time it takes to be granted a temporary rather than a permanent visa, or are there?

Then, there's the timing of it all and I could really use some advice about what you all think is best. How long am I likely to wait for the visa to come through? I will be selling my house and car and shipping all my furniture over. I really want to be ready to go as soon as the visa is granted, so would love to hear from those of you that have done it/are doing it etc.

I reckon I'm going to become a regular on here as I have a thousand questions rattling around in my head.

What if I don't make any friends ....... what if nobody likes me ......... what if I don't get a job (I'm 52 and have absolutely no intention of depending on my daughter) but got no real profession to offer (I've worked for local authorities all my life and am quite good at what I do but ......?!)

Would love to hear from you.

Hi and welcome to PIO.

It may be worth having a chat with an agent (Go matilda and Visa Bureau seem very popular and decent companys) to see what visa options are open to you. With all the red tape and July changes coming i wouldnt know where to start with advice,lol..

Good Luck and i hope you get out here to your family soon.

Cal x

Hi Alluswe welcome. Totally understand where you are coming from. We were in the same situation. Saw our 1 st granddaughter twice in 2 yrs. It's heartbreaking isn't it? We managed to come over with my hubbie's job and arived in time for the birth of our 2nd beautiful baby girl. Just had to be here! I have no knowledge of the CP visa but I'm sure someone will be along to help you. I wish you all the best for your journey. Love & prayers Jxxxx

Edited by Munchkinella

Hi and welcome to PIO.

It may be worth having a chat with an agent (Go matilda and Visa Bureau seem very popular and decent companys) to see what visa options are open to you. With all the red tape and July changes coming i wouldnt know where to start with advice,lol..

Good Luck and i hope you get out here to your family soon.

Cal x

Hi Cal

Thanks for that. I'll google them and contact them both tomorrow. As you say, time is of the essence if I don't want to get caught out by annual fee increases.

Angela