Moving to Aus from NZ (Pom & Kiwi)

celeliza

Me: UK Passport with NZ Permanent Residency.

Fiance: NZ Resident & Citizenship/Passport.

I am trying to get some options and see if there is a possibility of moving to Australia. Many years ago I attempted to apply for an Australian migrant visa alone and after it became difficult, I tried my luck to NZ. I still feel I would like to give Australia a go but my kiwi Fiancé isn’t too keen (never know!!)

I can see that a lot of kiwis are moving to Australia for various reasons. I understand New Zealanders do not require a work permit and wondered how would it affect me? Would my fiancé need to sponsor me? Would we obtain permanent residence straight away?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Claire

Your partner could live and work in australia on the strength of a NZ passport and could sponsor you for the 461 visa. But this is temporary visa and always will be. Neither of you will progress to pr unless you qualify and apply for a pr visa like the skilled migrant one for example.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have been looking at possible options to move to Australia and obtain PR (if we can).

I apply for the subclass 461 visa if my kiwi fiance sponsors me because he is an NZ Citizen. I know it will be a temporary visa but once in Aus, we could then apply for the subclass 119/857 Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) if I nominate an occupation from the SOL List outside the 4 main cities. I would have to find an employer first if they are willing to sponsor me. This is a Permanent residence visa. I know you can apply if I have a qualifying visa i.e subclass 461.

Anyone experience this route before?

Thanks,

Claire

Edited by celeliza

Hi,

I have been looking at possible options to move to Australia and obtain PR (if we can).

I apply for the subclass 461 visa if my kiwi fiance sponsors me because he is an NZ Citizen. I know it will be a temporary visa but once in Aus, we could then apply for the subclass 119/857 Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) if I nominate an occupation from the SOL List outside the 4 main cities. I would have to find an employer first if they are willing to sponsor me. This is a Permanent residence visa. I know you can apply if I have a qualifying visa i.e subclass 461.

Anyone experience this route before?

Thanks,

Claire

It isn't a route. They are two completely separate and unrelated visas, in that you don't need a 461 visa to apply for the RSMS.

However, I guess there is an advantage of the 461 visa in that it gets you there with work rights and you can get a job, prove your worth to an employer and increase your chances of sponsorship.