Good wood or bad wood

PeteD

Hoping someone knows the answer! :notworthy:

I've got a heavy/difficult object to move, a car body/chassis with no suspension. I was thinking of building a wood frame with wheels to run it around on, get it into the container, probably out of the standard 3x2 scant from B&Q.

Now with all the wood problems in the move to Aus, anyone know if this type of wood would be accepted? It's kiln dried, but no necessarily 'bug impervious'. What if I spray varnished it?

Any ideas welcome, cos shippers are avoiding me, presumably due to the lack of mobility of this item.

Failing this I'm guessing I need to buy a welder, some steel, learn to weld and do it the hard way :eek:

Thanks

P

Guest dolphinboy
Lol, let me quell your intrigue ... It's a part built one of these ... just the ticket for a sunny day in Perth :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12928[/ATTACH]

unfortunately mine is paying for my transportation costs :( I will miss it!

Nice car! Getting back to the question.............

If you use standard external pine (treated) then it should be fine. Even the internal stuff would be ok as well but treating it would make doubly sure. You could treat the internal stuff with a water based wood preserver. B&Q etc would be ok. The added bonus of wood preserver is it will smell like its been treated!

Just make sure you declare EVERYTHING wooden when filling in the forms.

The things that AQIS look for is certain types of more exotic woods. They also are very wary of wood with any bark on it that could contain insects etc. Also things that could contain live plants or seeds.

We imported lots of wooden stuff including tables, chairs, kitchen dressers (one is untreated pine), guitars (fininshed and part finished) and also lumps of wood used to make guitars.

Good luck and have fun in Perth! Melbourne at the moment is more like Blighty!

Jo's hubby Jon.

The other thing is that as you importing a car you need to consider all the import stuff that goes along with that. It will need an import permit if it is considered to be a working (and possibly registered) car.

Best to ask the Iron Chef! He imported our Audi A6 to Melbourne.

Guest oldmarried

just ask a timber merchant to supply you with wood which is stamped as heat treated. no need for further treatment.

The other thing is that as you importing a car you need to consider all the import stuff that goes along with that. It will need an import permit if it is considered to be a working (and possibly registered) car.

Best to ask the Iron Chef! He imported our Audi A6 to Melbourne.

Thanks for the heads up. I've spent a fair amount of time researching this. Catch 22, one of the criteria for a PIS permit is that you've had the ability to drive it for the past 12 months. Since it's never been completed or registered, I haven't. But because it used to have its suspension, it was defined as a car, so it would need a permit. I've had to take out the suspension which is why it's now so difficult to move around, but at least now it qualifies as 'parts' and is no longer considered to be a car, ergo no permit requirement and fingers crossed it won't be attracting the duties, etc. that a car would.

Thanks also for the info on the wood, since internal pine is £2.80 for 8 ft and external treated is £6.20 odd and I'll need 20 lengths for a rigid structure, I think I may go for internal and buy a bottle of Creosote replacement (can't believe they stopped selling Creosote to the general public). It comes with the creosote smell, so between that and the Jeyes the container should really reek of clean when they open it!

Out of interest, if you used Jeyes, how did you apply it/dilute it? Not too sure whether to dilute and clean the tools with the substance (how much to dilute?), or clean the tools then apply a thin undiluted layer?

Thanks

P

just ask a timber merchant to supply you with wood which is stamped as heat treated. no need for further treatment.

Please excuse my ignorance, is kiln dried wood therefore heat treated? Not sure if the kiln is to only dry the wood, or it sterilises the wood too?

I was thinking of using something like this http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/sawn-timber/construction-timber/cls/CLS-Timber-L-2400-x-W-63-x-T-38mm-9275994 and painting it with this

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/paint/woodcare/exterior_woodcare/-specificproducttype-shed___fence_paint/Bartoline-Creocote-Wood-Treatment-Dark-brown-4L-11517591

http://www.bartoline.co.uk/products_View.aspx?Articleid=3&Group=Woodcare Products

Thanks

P

Fair comment oldmarried, it makes sense ... scuppers any wood plans I had ...

Excellent idea webweazel ... I was just fixated on using wood or welding ... and the wierdest thing was, I wasn't planning to use nails or screws! I was gonna bolt the wood together ...

Sold ... steel ordered!

With Jeyes we did a bit of a combination of techniques.

We cleaned our BBQ and made up a diluted solution and dunked random bits in it - did the same for tent pegs and poles.

Bikes etc were jetwashed and then wiped over with dilute jeyes,

Shoes were scrubbed with a solution of jeyes.

Jon washed the tent itself in Jeyes.

But we also put a diluted solution of jeyes in a garden sprayer and spritzed everything too :)

(I also did this again just before the movers arrived too.)

Just remember to get a neighbour or someone else to pop in every now and then because after a while you don't smell the jeyes, and start spritzing again 'cos you're not sure if it actually smells of jeyes still .....

:)

Guest AKA63029

Hi Pete.

Can't help, as no car expert, or DIY'yer, BUT.

I'm sure if you built a ramp of the east coast of England and approached it right, the car and you 'may' make it to the east coast of Australia in one foul swoop.

I only say this as one of those cars pulled up next to me the other day, I looked at him, he looked at me, lights on red, lights go to green and as I got the clutch and revs to perfect sync the bugger had gone in a blaze of dust and rubber, his number plate was 'SEE YA'.:laugh:

Should never have tried out gunning him in a Nissan Micra, :embarrassed: with the sticker in the window saying, 'My Other Car Is A Robin Reliant'.

In all seriousness Pete, hope you get it sorted.

Cheers Tony.

Hi Pete.

Can't help, as no car expert, or DIY'yer, BUT.

I'm sure if you built a ramp of the east coast of England and approached it right, the car and you 'may' make it to the east coast of Australia in one foul swoop.

I only say this as one of those cars pulled up next to me the other day, I looked at him, he looked at me, lights on red, lights go to green and as I got the clutch and revs to perfect sync the bugger had gone in a blaze of dust and rubber, his number plate was 'SEE YA'.:laugh:

Should never have tried out gunning him in a Nissan Micra, :embarrassed: with the sticker in the window saying, 'My Other Car Is A Robin Reliant'.

In all seriousness Pete, hope you get it sorted.

Cheers Tony.

Been licking Toads again Tony?

Just remember to get a neighbour or someone else to pop in every now and then because after a while you don't smell the jeyes, and start spritzing again 'cos you're not sure if it actually smells of jeyes still .....

:)

When I started reading this sentence I thought the end would be along the lines of the Jeyes rendering you unconscious! :laugh: Pretty potent stuff indeed.

Thanks for the info, sounds like just the plan. I'll clean up my tools and give them a wipe/spray, and douse the kit car body in a solution the stuff, that'll give a nice surface area. And I'll do the underside and wheel arches of my main car with it too.

Thanks

P