Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Living

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep

Cost of Living

Hi Everyone
      From some of the threads Iíve read, people on here are very helpful in replying to individuals questions. This is my first thread so be gentle but I want to ask the group what salary scale would provide an average life.
      Firstly I know thatís extremely subjective so let me give a few more details. I want to move out to Perth or Melbourne, with my wife (who currently cannot work) and 4 year old daughter. Not looking for the moon-on-a-stick here, just a small car, medical cover, rented apartment with 2-3 rooms and enough money to put clothes on our back, occasional travel to NZ (extended family) and semi-private child care. Iím a scientist (post-doc) so will probably be based near one of the Universities.
      Any info you guys and gals can give would help out a long way. Iíll try and check back often enough in case you need more details.

Thanks

p.s I heard you have a thing called ĎSuní over there. Being from Ireland the Ďhuge fiery ball in the skyí has taken on a near mythical property, since its departure behind 3km of black cloud. Can you confirm whether or not you need to wear three heavy jumpers in mid-summer?

Title
      Liked
      7270 times
      Rep
      As you say its difficult, if you were to come to Melbourne it would depend where you are to be based what area you would live in. So more info needed there. The closer to the CBD you live the more expensive property is. Food you can shop around and get reasonably priced, get the specials at the supermarkets, markets for veg and meat etc. Childcare does not come cheap though. Suggest you look at a site such as http://www.kidspot.com.au/ which will be able to give you both a lot of information about schools, childcare etc and its also good to speak with mums who live here. Not to mention the potential for friendship.

We have Aldi here and its popular with people as its cheaper than the big two supermarkets Coles and Woolworths.

I can only speak for Melbourne although I do believe rental accommodation seems to be harder to get in Perth from what other Brits are saying on the forum. Good luck
      Petals
      taking no prisoners

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1497 times
      Rep
      the 2.2 - 2.4 figure pops up quite often on this forum.
      that is, you want to earn that kind of ratio in uk £ to oz $ to support a similair lifestyle.
      all subjective though, if you move from the country to an ozzie city, it wont work!
      Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

Title
      Banana bender
      Liked
      4974 times
      Rep
      The 2.2 ratio works. We did it for 15 months, lived 30 mins south of Sydney. Didn't touch the wifes wage for the 6 months that she worked, survived well on just my wage which was 2.2 x my uk salary.

Title
      Living the Dream In Perth
      Liked
      819 times
      Rep
      I agree we're managing on x2 just my salary, wife's goes in bank and stays there. First time we've been able to save properly since moving over here. Uk we never could.
      Visa Applied 25/5/11, GRANTED 16/9/11 Now Living the Dream In Perth

Title
      Liked
      279 times
      Rep
      Hi this 2.2 x uk salary can i clarify is this for example £20k = $44k or is it £44k which is roughly $65k were coming over on just my partners salary until i find a job also a scientist so hoping i can get a decent job aswell then wont need to worry, sorry for hijacking your thread lol good luck :)

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      very much appreciate all your threads - thanks everyone. When we get out there I'll buy the first round

Title
      Liked
      17722 times
      Rep
      There's a similar thread on perth poms - I think they came up with a figure of about $100.000 but that was for a family of 5
      I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Title
      Banana bender
      Liked
      4974 times
      Rep
      $100k you should be ok in the suburbs, won't live the high life but you won't be on the breadline.

Title
      Banana bender
      Liked
      4974 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by vixxy666 View Post
      Hi this 2.2 x uk salary can i clarify is this for example £20k = $44k or is it £44k which is roughly $65k were coming over on just my partners salary until i find a job also a scientist so hoping i can get a decent job aswell then wont need to worry, sorry for hijacking your thread lol good luck :)
      yes that's right £20k = $44k. Just remember though it needs to be put into context. If you don't live in London now and you earn £20k, you won't survive on $44k in Sydney.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast