Guest MBeans

Hi Everyone

From some of the threads I’ve read, people on here are very helpful in replying to individuals questions. This is my first thread so be gentle but I want to ask the group what salary scale would provide an average life.

Firstly I know that’s extremely subjective so let me give a few more details. I want to move out to Perth or Melbourne, with my wife (who currently cannot work) and 4 year old daughter. Not looking for the moon-on-a-stick here, just a small car, medical cover, rented apartment with 2-3 rooms and enough money to put clothes on our back, occasional travel to NZ (extended family) and semi-private child care. I’m a scientist (post-doc) so will probably be based near one of the Universities.

Any info you guys and gals can give would help out a long way. I’ll try and check back often enough in case you need more details.

Thanks

p.s I heard you have a thing called ‘Sun’ over there. Being from Ireland the ‘huge fiery ball in the sky’ has taken on a near mythical property, since its departure behind 3km of black cloud. Can you confirm whether or not you need to wear three heavy jumpers in mid-summer?:cool:

As you say its difficult, if you were to come to Melbourne it would depend where you are to be based what area you would live in. So more info needed there. The closer to the CBD you live the more expensive property is. Food you can shop around and get reasonably priced, get the specials at the supermarkets, markets for veg and meat etc. Childcare does not come cheap though. Suggest you look at a site such as http://www.kidspot.com.au/ which will be able to give you both a lot of information about schools, childcare etc and its also good to speak with mums who live here. Not to mention the potential for friendship.

We have Aldi here and its popular with people as its cheaper than the big two supermarkets Coles and Woolworths.

I can only speak for Melbourne although I do believe rental accommodation seems to be harder to get in Perth from what other Brits are saying on the forum. Good luck

Hi this 2.2 x uk salary can i clarify is this for example £20k = $44k or is it £44k which is roughly $65k were coming over on just my partners salary until i find a job also a scientist so hoping i can get a decent job aswell then wont need to worry, sorry for hijacking your thread lol good luck :)

Hi this 2.2 x uk salary can i clarify is this for example £20k = $44k or is it £44k which is roughly $65k were coming over on just my partners salary until i find a job also a scientist so hoping i can get a decent job aswell then wont need to worry, sorry for hijacking your thread lol good luck :)

yes that's right £20k = $44k. Just remember though it needs to be put into context. If you don't live in London now and you earn £20k, you won't survive on $44k in Sydney.

Thanks wakeboard were moving to rockhampton qld cost of living there doesnt seem to bad compared to some of the other regional towns still going to be a struggle at first were bring in about 60k in the uk and my partner alone will only bring in $60 initially but it is set to rise quickly and hopefully i wont struggle to find a job but i think we'll have a tough first few months but it'll work out in the end im sure, thanks again :)

Melbourne is regarded as more expensive than Perth. I believe it is about the 13th most expensive city in the world compared to Perth which is 30th. Though costs such as groceries tend to be higher in Perth.

In either city i wouldnt want to be earning less than around $100k a year.