Shared 40 foot Container: Ireland to Melbourne, Winter 2012

ks652

Hi guys,

We are heading to Melbourne Nov/Dec this year and will be bringing belongings and a car with us.

I'm considering using Careline whom are very reputable. 20ft is circa €4500 and 40ft is circa €7000 (plus insurance plus customs). 6-8 weeks sailing time.

Careline have depots nationwide but I'd be using Limerick.

Just putting it out there. Even if you only had a few boxes it could save you money and in turn us money!

Let me know your interest.

Kieran

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Kieran

I know something similar has been suggested before on here, but there was issues on whether you could trust the person who was sharing the container, I are they really smuggling drugs etc in to the country, if you are doing a private deal then you would probably be responsible whereas if a company organise it for you it falls back on them.

I appreciate what you are saying M2M but it wouldn't be private. I would hope to get a small group all going to the one city and organising with Careline to divide up the cost of the container between us. I would be merely suggesting to others that it could work out cheaper in the long run to bring your belongings with you as opposed to selling them in Ireland and buying again in (expensive) Australia. Taking 4 square foot of a container my only cost about €750 as opposed to just bringing the shirt on your back!

• 10 months later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Kieran

But people can do this with any removal company as it is. You don't have to take a full container yourself, ask a company like Masons or PSS to quote for a shared container. The only downside with a shared container is there are usually delays in shipping it out due to waiting for others to add their items in.

True, but what if there isn't enough demand in our area to combine a shared container at one time. Then we have to pay for the full 40ft even if we only fill say 30ft. If I can gather a group by offering the service in our area then hopefully we can help each other out.

I will also look into Masons and PPS for shipping quotes, thanks alot.

Hi Ks652,

We are shipping stuff from Kerry to Brisbane in about 2 weeks. We are going 'groupage' which is a shared container. If you do a shared container you don't have control over when the consignment arrives. This has led to frustration for some folks.

You will find Careline, AMC and others will charge about €4300 for a pack your own 20 ft container.

We are going to use Nat Ross as they offer excellent service this end and are busy around Munster and will come and quote in person should you require it. Glyn Exshaw is the contact.

They pack for you for insurance reasons and this only costs about €250 extra. We are doing a third of a container,

As per the above post, probably not a 'goer' to share with others as all effects must be your own for customs etc

Hope this helps.

ps Etihad and Emirates both do 30Kg luggage now (ex Dublin)