Help!!! Should I stay or Should I go???!!!

Guest Francine

Guest Francine

Well, the house in the UK is sold and we are now waiting for our new baby's visa to be granted (they said it would be in August) before we make the move. We (me, my husband and two sons aged 6 and 3) were granted our visa in 2009 so it has been a long wait and to be honest, I am having second thoughts about it all.

I am a teacher and have a really good job here with the chance of a promotion. When we applied, teachers were in demand in Oz but now I keep reading about how hard it is to get a job in WA and how expensive everything is. I worry that we will give everything up here and it not work and we are left with nothing.

For those of you who have made the move, would you do it again if you had the chance and would you do it in the current economical climate? I want a better life for my kids but does Australia really offer that? I worry about it not working and us losing good jobs and a lot of money but I also worry that if I don't do it, I will always wonder, "What if?"!!!

I know only I can make the decision but some help from those of you who have done it would be much appreciated.

The song, 'should I stay or should I go?' springs to mind!!!

Guest Francine

Glad I'm not alone in feeling like this. It is causing a lot of friction with my other half as he would go tomorrow but he isn't the one who has to sort everything out. He just expects to turn up and everything be sorted!

it just goes to show that we do change over time and we are very controlled by our emotions

my suggestion would be to the OP, if you have a good job here (UK) then this summer go for a holiday before you commit, so you can see what its all about or even try another part of OZ.

we are waiting for our 175 visa and we are hoping to move soon

go with your gut feeling, usually it works out

but also think about that old thong'Comfort zone' we live in them most our lives and sometimes its good for the soul to step out of it every so often, thats what makes us all real

live long and prosper

I know exactly how you feel. After 10 years of hard work i got my PR in 2008, since then i've got rid of my uni debts and am ready to emigrate with about $30k but all my research, aussie contacts and the media have completely unsettled me. Also my IT skills are no longer in demand so no guarantees or even a good chance of getting a job before my money runs out and i'm left with nothing.

However, the saying goes you should always regret the things you have done rather than the things you haven't... and the 'what if' will only grow over time.

I was 22 when i started working towards my PR and i'm 36 now and both Oz and I have changed so much. IMHO it comes down to employment... if you have a job waiting or can get a job easily in Oz then you have the back up to make your dreams come true... if not, like me, than its a scary risk and likely to be much more stressful - although not impossible.

Good luck with your plans, i've always lived for the day and say go for it but fully understand it is such a hard decision. If you work hard and research and plan your move to the best of your ability and stay positive i'm sure you will never look back. All the best.

Guest Francine

Thanks for all the replies. We went over in 2010 and loved it and were all set to go but it took so long to sell our house and then I fell pregnant with baby number 3 and here we are now in 2012! We move out of our house next weekend and I have until the easter hols to decide whether or not to hand my notice in! No wonder I am stressed!!!

If it was just me and the hubby then I wouldn't be as worried, but I have three kids to consider as well. But then again, a big reason for moving there is to hopefully give them a better standard of life. Any families/teachers out there who have made the move recently?

Guest Francine
I know exactly how you feel. After 10 years of hard work i got my PR in 2008, since then i've got rid of my uni debts and am ready to emigrate with about $30k but all my research, aussie contacts and the media have completely unsettled me. Also my IT skills are no longer in demand so no guarantees or even a good chance of getting a job before my money runs out and i'm left with nothing.

However, the saying goes you should always regret the things you have done rather than the things you haven't... and the 'what if' will only grow over time.

I was 22 when i started working towards my PR and i'm 36 now and both Oz and I have changed so much. IMHO it comes down to employment... if you have a job waiting or can get a job easily in Oz then you have the back up to make your dreams come true... if not, like me, than its a scary risk and likely to be much more stressful - although not impossible.

Good luck with your plans, i've always lived for the day and say go for it but fully understand it is such a hard decision. If you work hard and research and plan your move to the best of your ability and stay positive i'm sure you will never look back. All the best.

Thanks Mike. I know exactly how you feel about the job situation!! Good luck to you too x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Francine

Well, we have moved out of our house and are now renting for the next six months until our daughter's visa comes through. One step closer!! Still having doubts but I know I need to give it a go. Better to regret the things you did than the things you didn't!!!!

Anyone out there who has already made the move? Is it normal to feel like you are making a big mistake?