best suburbs in Adelaide

Guest caitlin123

Guest caitlin123

what are the best suburbs in adelaide for a family moving from England? We have 2 teens and would love somewhere near the mountains/beach:) also clean and green

• 1 month later...
Hi Caitlin, there aren't so many Adelaideans lurking here on PIO. Please feel free to post on our sister site Poms In Adelaide http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/ and you're bound to get more responses:)

.... but some of us pop on occasionally. You can get 'shot down' sometimes for saying one area is 'better' than another. Depends what you are looking for. House prices in coastal areas can be a little more expensive but a few streets in and that changes. There seems to be a north/south difference of oppinion but many more Britd seem to favour the souther suburbs now. Good schools in just about every area and sports facilities too. (soccer less popular than aussie rules but there are loads of other clubs to join if that's your thing)

We live in the foothills at Aberfoyle Park which has a large High School. There is a TAFE (further education college at O'Halloran Hill) The beaches of Brighton/Seacliffe/Somerton Park and Glenelg are about 20 minutes away and there is a good bus service. Our children are grown up so we prefer the wine regions and Fleuriu Peninsular for day trips/farmers markets but if you want the 'city life' you may want to be a little closer to the CBD.

This is a good site if you want more details of size/occupation/demographic info of each suburb.

http://www.adelaidesuburbs.com.au/

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Cheers for the great link, we like the look of Hallet cove, the info is great, you Adelaidians need to big it up more. Lol

Honestly, Adelaide is small enough that wherever you are you can pretty much get to beach and/or hills with no more than 20min in the car. The only times the roads really get busy are around the 9-5 commute times. So find out where you'll be working, and minimise your commute. We both work in the city, so live within walking distance, across the park from there, then it's only a short hop in the car to get to the hills or beach on the weekends. There are nice suburbs in most areas of the city. Take a look on google for an indication of the levels of green in the suburbs, some are beautiful leafy suburbs, others don't have anything above head height and feel very barren to me. With teens, you'll want to make sure you're close to a reasonably major transport line, so they can get around without needing mum taxi.

Honestly, Adelaide is small enough that wherever you are you can pretty much get to beach and/or hills with no more than 20min in the car. The only times the roads really get busy are around the 9-5 commute times. So find out where you'll be working, and minimise your commute. We both work in the city, so live within walking distance, across the park from there, then it's only a short hop in the car to get to the hills or beach on the weekends. There are nice suburbs in most areas of the city. Take a look on google for an indication of the levels of green in the suburbs, some are beautiful leafy suburbs, others don't have anything above head height and feel very barren to me. With teens, you'll want to make sure you're close to a reasonably major transport line, so they can get around without needing mum taxi.

In the city like the rock dr, but literally downtown if you can call it that easy to walk about relatively safe at all hours...clean place to live...hello to all my fellow Adelaidians I only knew Rock Dr and myself on here and as for the Poms in Adelaide - well lets just say it aint PIO....

• 2 weeks later...

I would say Eastern Subs close to the CBD. Dulwich, Kensington, Toorak Gdns, Burnside, Norwood, Glenside, Unley, Hyde Park, Goodwood, Millswood - good mid to upper class subs, also North Adl

Springfield, St Peters and Medindie all very expensive but def the nicest

Beach subs mostly all nice

All depends on your budget. House prices in Adelaide have gone up in recent years but still low compared to major UK cities. The amazing thing about Adelaide (the thing that a friend reminds me of forcefully whenever I go back there for a visit) is that it is so easy to get around. So if you're living near central Adelaide then you'll be close to both. the sort of suburb you describe is going to be on the more expensive side.

First thing to do is have a look at google maps and type in adelaide, look at the suburbs that neighbour the city centre (or CBD as people say in Australia - stands for central business district)

the suburbs to the north, east and south are the nicer ones and more expensive. The ones to the east will put you in close proximity to the Adelaide Hills. and are still only a 20 min drive to the beach. The ones to the west aren't so green, but closer to beach, cheaper and up and coming.

the more expensive ones are the ones like burnside, st georges, springfield, norwood, kensington, st peters etc. The schools in that area for teens are also good.

Those are all near the city centre. The other thing to think about when considering a move to Adelaide is whether you want to live in the Hills. Will take 30 mins to 40 mins to drive to the beach, but still not that far really. You'll get more bang for your buck and they are stunning in the autumn, near the wineries etc.

Again, take a look at google maps and look at the main road that heads south east out of adelaide. (A1 /M1) Stirling, Aldgate etc are lovely hills towns. and still very close to the city. It would take about 25 mins to drive to the beach from glen osmond for example.

Hope this helps

I should add by the way that I'm an Adelaidean born and raised, moved to Sydney after Uni and then moved to London where I've been for over 10 years. Now planning the move back to Australia and thinking it's probably going to be Melbourne.

Hi

Can't add much to what's already been said really, apart from there are no 'mountains' as such in and around Adelaide, but some of the hills are quite steep! And with teens I would recommend not being too far out of the city in any direction: most of the stuff happening in Adelaide happens in and around the centre, and I have heard of many people who have been swayed by the cheaper house prices and beach proximity in the outer suburbs and settled there, only to find that their teens are bored stiff!

We live in Highbury in the North East - good public transport, excellent school choices, plenty of sports and arts facilities, good shops, green and pretty just about all year round because of the (Torrens) river running through, about 20 mins into the city, 30/40 mins to the beaches, 30/40 mins to the Barossa wineries...

HTH

Diane

• 1 month later...
Guest Katinoz

Hi we moved from England to Adelaide 3 years ago - we rented in West Beach and the plan was to buy a house in the hills - however we liked West Beach soo much we decided to stay - close to airport, beach, great parks, cycle paths, Westfield shops, city - has everything! If you are looking for a house we are selling ;) Notingh to do with the area but change in circumstances!

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-west+beach-110353557

• 1 month later...
Guest AdelaideMum

I live in Glenelg and while I love walking to the beach and coffees and the tram to the city, there are not many families or teenagers as it is just too expensive. I am surrounded by units with retirees or backpackers (I call it the 18 or 80 year old area). I know lots of new UK arrivals who are 10 minutes away at the new development at Blackwood Park which is just up in the hills from here. For less money than my 1935 tudor house you can get a mansion up there, plus has a village atmosphere and the local Blackwood Hills Baptist church up there is absolutely full of poms so a good place to meet people quickly when you arrive. We bought just before the boom, and I love my home, but I miss having neighbours to relate to. Eastern suburbs are for doctors and lawyers, mainly professionals, Port Adelaide is mainly non-English speaking. The TAFE at O'Halloran Hill someone else mentioned is closing soon and relocating to the old Mitsubishi site on South Rd Clovelly Park, but lots of buses go near there. Yes the south is good but don't go too far south.