Home contents insurance providers

Guest Scotdaveth

Hi we have just got our contents sorted out with Allianz. If the quote seems cheap, then just take a closer look as a lot of stuff tends to get stripped out so the quote is just for your basic stuff. So once you add it all back in it works out more than the more expensive quotes!

We did ours online so just do a google search.

I've always used Calliden Insurance, part of Australian Unity for 4 years now as they have always offered pretty good quotes. Their coverage also includes flood, electrical/mechanical damage and earthquake and had lower excesses which not all insuance companies provide. I recently renewed my insuance and was going to go with Budget Direct but they said they would not insure against flood or a property that was 250m from a river or the sea.

Whilst the risk of our flat being flooded by a tsunami are miniscule I didn't want to take the risk that they would refuse a claim for something else as we are near the sea. I specifically asked them about "Queensland flood" type events where there is so much rain that it pours into the street etc and they said we would not be covered whereas Calliden said we were covered so I stayed with them. We did have some massive downpours last year where the garden was getting pretty "boggy" so a flood coming in from the road or reaching the building was a real possibility.

Since being here we also experienced 2 minor earthquakes. There was no damage but it only needs a window to shatter or a roof tile to come off to cause damage which they would then say you are not covered. We get very strong winds so it would be easy for somethign small to come flying through a window to break it.

Sometimes the cheapest is not always the best and you do have to think about events that you don't consider in the UK - floods, hail, earthquakes, tornadoes/cyclones etc

Suncorp here. There rates aren't bad but, more important, when you have to make a claim, they don't fall back on all sorts of fine print to refuse payment. My wife spilled a glass of rum and coke into her 3 year old laptop last year and there wasn't a single quibble about giving her a new-for-old replacement.

With insurance the cheapest deal isn't always the best deal.

Looking into home content insurance and looking for any recommendations of who to use and who to avoid.

Thanks

Hi there,

If you are looking for value for money, Coles (as in supermarket) are miles cheaper than their competitors. They do cheap car insurance too.

Cheers,

Erica

I agree with Boganbear and Bobbsy, cheap isn't always good. There are a lot of things to consider out here weather wise. Some areas are prone to cyclones, there are the massive hale stones, flash flooding (which I believe occurs a lot more out here than the UK) and other local risks.

There is nothing wrong with value for money, as long as you read all the exclusions. It's no good just looking at what is covered, you need to see what isn't covered, which I know is a ball ache reading all that 'fine print' but it is very illuminating!

Guest haunted1234

hi, we use Suncorp as they're one of the few who still cover for floods (we live in far north queensland) we also got a 15% discount when getting our car insurance through them! we pay $100 a month thats for house contents and fully comp insurance on two cars :o)