Applying for/renewing a UK passport when living in Australia

Applying for or renewing a UK passport when living in Australia (or elsewhere overseas)

I thought I'd post this in its own thread as its come up a few times lately and each time the info just gets lost in amongst it all.

Please read these links if you need to apply for or renew a UK passport and are living in Australia. I've embedded them all into the post so links are in red (orange to some) text.

British High Commission in New Zealand website - where all UK passport applications from Australia now are processed.

So What Passport Do I Need? Once you know which one you require you go to the following page How To Apply From Australia . On that page you can download all the forms to apply, find the price list and more.

Checklist 1 - Renewing An Exisiting UK Passport This is a PDF and clarifies if you need a counter signatory or not for your passport application (the 2 year rule of when you need a counter signature and knowing a person long enough to counter sign confuses some people). I've pasted it below also

Checklist 1- Renewing an existing British Passport

NOTE: THIS CHECKLIST IS NOT APPLICABLE FOR OLD BLUE/BLACK PASSPORTS

Please tick each box in the checklist below to ensure you have all relevant documents.

o Completed passport application form. (C1 or C2). Applications signed with the signature outside the box will be returned.

o Completed your application form in full using black ink.

o Enclosed TWO identical passport sized photographs on a cream/off white background. Photographs not meeting standards required by the UK passport services will be returned.

o If your appearance is very different from the photo in your current or last passport, you should get your photo & form countersigned.

All children under 12 must have their form countersigned. (Temp residents see note below)

o Counter signatory (If required): Must complete all details (C1-Sec9 or C2-Sec8). Incomplete counter signatory detail is the number one reason for rejected passport applications.

o Enclosed your current/existing passport(s). Photocopies are not acceptable.

Note : For those in the country for less than 2 years, on holiday or visiting, and don’t know anyone,  you can have your application & photo countersigned by a professional (Policeman, J.P., Lawyer etc)  attesting to your likeness. They will not be required to complete the personal declaration at section  9 C1 or Section 8 C2. An explanation of your circumstance should be made at Section 7 C1 or section  6 C2.

If you live elsewhere and need to renew or apply for a UK passport you can find your country of residence on the list HERE

Hopefully that covers things for people. All the relevant information you need can be found within those official links on the pages somewhere. If there is anything specific you can't find it is best to use the contact information given on the fco.co.uk website and find out directly from them.

Cheers

snifter

• 4 months later...
Guest RichB

And expect to get ripped off yet again...I payed about $ 250 dollars for a new British passport..If you are in the UK and apply there for one it costs around

90 GBP..

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

hey guys,

I'm just about to leave for Christmas holidays in december and my Passport expires in Feb 2014. Will I still be able to go on my current passport as I was going to renew it back home before travelling back out in January??

If i do need to renew my passport do I need a Post office interview, as this would be difficult for me as im FIFO?

Please help!!

Regards

Lloyd

hey guys,

I'm just about to leave for Christmas holidays in december and my Passport expires in Feb 2014. Will I still be able to go on my current passport as I was going to renew it back home before travelling back out in January??

If i do need to renew my passport do I need a Post office interview, as this would be difficult for me as im FIFO?

Please help!!

Regards

Lloyd

If you are travelling back in January and your passport expires in February, why not just use your current passport then renew from here when it has expired. Your travelling times seems to fall within the validity of your current passport. I did the same thing last year, travelled back to the UK on my old passport which would expire 2 weeks after my return to OZ. Only renewed it when I was back in OZ.

• 3 months later...

not all Australian post offices process British passports. P.O. I went to checked form, put stuff in his computer and said I had to send it direct to U.K. They don't do that for u anymore. I said something about being processed in N.Z. and he said all British passports had to be processed thru U.K

not all Australian post offices process British passports. P.O. I went to checked form, put stuff in his computer and said I had to send it direct to U.K. They don't do that for u anymore. I said something about being processed in N.Z. and he said all British passports had to be processed thru U.K

This thread is a year old. The process changed in January this year.