When I moved to Australia ....

ali

Hi Everyone,

Moving to Australia is a bit scarey whatever age you are, and the other day I was reminded by my daughter that at first when we first said we were thinking of Australia she didn't want to go. She was 10 and cried and said we were making her leave her whole life behind. On Sunday, she will be 17 and we have been here 5 years ... and she now says that she is so glad she had the opportunity to have her teenage years here in Australia and has loved living here.

So, I'm starting this thread, hopefully so that people can post about what their move to Aus was like, what they found different, school, uniforms, tips for settling in, things to do etc. Sometimes it might be mums and dads posting on behalf of their children, but i'm really hoping that our younger members will post about their experience of moving, which will really help some of our junior members who are waiting to make the the move.

So please share your thoughts ... don't forget to tell us which part of Aus you live in. Rember to stay safe and don't give out too many personal details (read the internet safety post)

Thanks for joining in

Ali xx

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I'm Tom (Ali's son).

Moving to Australia was quite scary for me, I was 7 years old and I didn't know anyone or anything about Perth.

In 2007, I started Primary year 2. My teacher allocated a student to show me around the school and to be my buddy. I'm in year 7 now and that person is still one of my best friends.

What I like about school here is that you don't have to line up to go into class, you just go into your class room when you arrive. The best bit for me was that I didn't have to wear school shoes - you could wear trainers, and at recess there is lots of sports equipment to play with. I also do Japanese here too. We don't have school dinners at my school but there are two canteen days when you can buy food.

I am now an Australian citizen and love living here, for me, I get to be outside most of the time which is great.

You will find some words are different here

Lollies - sweets

Chips - crisps

Hot Chips - chips

Heaps - lots

Thongs - flip flops

Recess - break time at school

Runners - trainers

Bathers - swim wear

You'll be really nervous when you start your new school, but you'll soon make friends.

Tom

Guest courtney1997

Hey, im fiona1975 's daughter courtney, we moved to Australia in 2009 when i was 11. When my parents first told me we were moving i was really excited but slightly apprehensive. It was hard to say goodbye to everybody but i knew i would soon make new friends. On the first night in australia i cryed my eyes out and had to sleep with mum. :) Im now 14 and so glad we moved.There is so much more to do here,the schools are great and the weather is fab. One of my friends moved make to England 3 months ago and is very unhappy. He has had depression for a month and a half and says he gets so bored as there is nothing to do. I cant imagine always being stuck in the cold, no beach ,no swimming in the sea and no blue sky. At first it seems like your whole world has ended because your parents have flew you thousands of miles away frow what you know but Australia is so much better, i have so much more choices when i leave school, i have the choice to do whatever i like :) xx

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Princessoftheworld20

Dear Ali,

I have just moved to Perth in Oz, and I am still not sure about the whole thing. I have only been here for over a week, but I am still emotional about it all, leaving all of my life, leaving my friends and family aswell which was the worst! Although I have found that PomsinOz have helped me a bit overcome my fears, but I still have the unsure feeling. Then, I read Angel Cake, a book by Cathy Cassidy which my Mum brought for me ( she is a member of this site too!)

It is about a girl called Anya, who was in the same situation as me. But at the end it helped me more, and more.

From Princessoftheworld20 P.S if anyone is unsure aswell, the book I have read( see above) I would definitely recommend to everyone who has moved to OZ.

Thanks Hun,

Thanks so much for adding to the thread, the book you've suggested sounds really helpful.

Moving is very emotional, everything is unfamiliar at first isn't it. Hope you soon start to feel more settled.

You're more than welcome ... who better to know what a young person is feeling about moving than someone who is doing it/done it. I really do appreciate you taking the time to answer post. If you have any more tips to settling a long the way - please don't heitate.

Guest Princessoftheworld20

Dear Ali,

I also have one more tip for everyone. Always think of the positives, not the negatives, because if you think of the negatives it will make you more emotional, thats what My Mum told me.

From Princessoftheworld20

My mum used to tell me to count my blessings Princess - I guess that's a similar thing.

Are you still in touch with your mates? My two are still in touch with theirs (after 5 years), in the early days they sent postcards to people too, to show them where they lived. My Son left school in Year 2 and last year he sent a letter to his old school as his friends were leaving year 6. The head master read it out at the leavers assembly - he was really pleased.

• 1 month later...
Guest Squishy

Hi Ali, our family is planning to move to Perth in about 4months time.

I was just wondering what kind of stuff there is to do in Oz?

Thanks x

Hey Ali! I've not made the move yet but I'm up for it! - Unlike most kids on here, most of them are dreading it! I've no idea why though because Australia is great!! Ive been there on holidays twice already and will be moving as soon as my house sells. :smile: I can't wait!!

Hey Ali! I've not made the move yet but I'm up for it! - Unlike most kids on here, most of them are dreading it! I've no idea why though because Australia is great!! Ive been there on holidays twice already and will be moving as soon as my house sells. :smile: I can't wait!!

So glad you're looking forward to it ... it's a very exciting time for you

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lozzer9

Hi!

I'm new on here! I'm nine years old and have got my visa approved today!:biglaugh: I also can't wait but I'm sad to leave my friends behind. How about you?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, im fiona1975 's daughter courtney, we moved to Australia in 2009 when i was 11. When my parents first told me we were moving i was really excited but slightly apprehensive. It was hard to say goodbye to everybody but i knew i would soon make new friends. On the first night in australia i cryed my eyes out and had to sleep with mum. :) Im now 14 and so glad we moved.There is so much more to do here,the schools are great and the weather is fab. One of my friends moved make to England 3 months ago and is very unhappy. He has had depression for a month and a half and says he gets so bored as there is nothing to do. I cant imagine always being stuck in the cold, no beach ,no swimming in the sea and no blue sky. At first it seems like your whole world has ended because your parents have flew you thousands of miles away frow what you know but Australia is so much better, i have so much more choices when i leave school, i have the choice to do whatever i like :) xx

Hi Courtney I'm Jess, jokeylad aka Russell and Samantha's daughter. I read your post and I'm currently 13, year 8, and when my parents told me that we were moving I was so happy, but like you were, I'm a bit nervous to go. I know i will love it, its just the friends and family side of things. But i just wanted to let you know that your post helped me realize that me and my family are not alone in doing this and that Australia is the right move, and also that i will meet friends at school and stuff. So thanks ... Jess :biggrin:

• 2 years later...