Melbourne- where to live with young children?

Guest Hildeandwill

Guest Hildeandwill

Hi- My husband, myself and our 2 young children (currently 3 1/2 and 1 3/4) are moving to Melbourne in mid July as my husband is going to be working at the children's hospital for 2 years. Visa's and all admin is being taken care of (including work visa for me too) so no stress there, but we are in need of finding a place to live; short term let initially and then long term rent when we have decided on where to settle down for the time being...... We don't know anyone who lives in Melbourne and as I wont be working straight away I'll be spending the time exploring with the children and hopefully make some friends.

A good friend of mine is from Melbourne and have said that she would (if money was no object) look for a place in Middle Park, St Kilda West, or Albert Park - or Hawthorn/ Kew if we want the sub-burbs.

We would like minimum 3 bedrooms and some outdoor space but don't mind that things aren't new and shiny - and we can spend up to $550 a week on rent if this info helps. We will buy a car but husband is planning on being able to cycle to work as long as the commute is no longer than a hour by road bike. and it would be lovely to be able to get to places without constantly driving the car (walking or cycling would be brilliant) Any thoughts? or suggestions of nice places to live with young children?

In regards to websites for long term lets we're OK but I would love to get some thoughts on where or how to get a short term let (a month or so). ..The ones I've come across are so expensive!!!!

Any comments or thoughts would be very much welcomed

Hilde :)

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Hilde

Welcome to the forum, firstly unfortunately short term lets are expensive but they usually work out a lot cheaper than a hotel room.

In regards to areas how about Parkville or Clifton Hill?

Guest Hildeandwill

...but living close to the beach would be a bonus and I am sure husband would re-consider his work commute for a great area close to the sea. :)

Guest The Pom Queen
...but living close to the beach would be a bonus and I am sure husband would re-consider his work commute for a great area close to the sea. :)

Well how about going further out and catching the train in, look at Mentone, Mordialloc, Beaumaris. Personally I wouldn't live in St Kilda with children, but that is only my opinion.

Guest Hildeandwill

thanks- somehow ruled out parkville although it is very close to the hopsital just because I thought it wasn't very residential. Obviously got this wrong :) Will get a feel for these two areas now. Cheers, Hilde

Guest The Pom Queen
thanks- somehow ruled out parkville although it is very close to the hopsital just because I thought it wasn't very residential. Obviously got this wrong :) Will get a feel for these two areas now. Cheers, Hilde

There are some gorgeous houses in Parkville, although a lot may be over budget for you

Guest Hildeandwill
There are some gorgeous houses in Parkville, although a lot may be over budget for you

I will look - We are just being careful re weekly rent as we are not totally sure what Will is going to be taking home after tax etc but know that 550 will be no problem. Just another thing to investigate. I have been looking at your website since fining out that we are going (moving to melbourne) - and it has been really helpful. checking out short term rentals - is it a good idea to go ahead and book asap?