Information needed about moving to Australia...

Guest no1joe

Hello, im 17 and for a couple of years now i have wanted to move to Australia in the fairly near future. I've been trying to gather as much information as i can from a family friend (who's moving to Perth in October), however im lacking some crucial information. Please help...

1) Roughly how much money, including everything from flights to accommodation for a few months, would i need to get me and my girlfriend from here in England into Perth, for example. I've been told its around £30,000 for both of us. Is this correct?

2) I've also been told the best way to go about moving to Australia would be to find a job there, after working for at least a year in my desired career in England, and go out on a 3 month working visa. This will make it alot easier and cheaper to get my permanant visa. Is this information correct, and would there be a better way to go about it?

1) How long is a piece of string? Some of it will depend on what visa you want to go on, how long you think you may go for, how much stuff you want to take and what sort of standard of living you expect/want when you get there. Once you have those details, you will be able to budget a bit better - for eg a few weeks in short term accomodation, followed by a long term rental on your own is a lot more expensive that a couple of nights in a dorm room in a Youth Hostel, followed by a room in a shared house, so the figures vary massively. I think we have probably spent only around £4K on getting our visas and getting us and our things to Oz, and will have around £28K to take with us, £15K of which we are spending on a camper the day we get there.

2) Go to the DIAC website (http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/) and do the visa wizard to see what options you have. At your age the WHV might be a very good, cheap and quick, way of getting yourself over there, and then possibly look for an employee sponsored visa, but it depends on what your qualifications and skills and work experience is. (3 month working visa? Haven't heard of one of those....). At only 17 you probably won't have a lot of the qualifications they like you to have to score a visa, but do the wizard and have a look at your options, and start planning :D

Good luck with everything.

• Like 1