Advice on finding work in Brisbane / Gold Coast area

Guest FreeSpirit

Guest FreeSpirit

Hello All!

I've visited this forum a few times and found it very informative, so I was hoping that some of you out there could give me a few pointers...

I was born in Australia so have dual-nationality, but left at the grand old age of 5 when my parents returned to UK. I've been back for hols a couple of times and always wanted to return to live and work, but my wife was never interested and once our daughter came a long, well that was pretty much it. Sadly, I lost her 18 months ago and my daughter went to Uni last September, so I've decided that now could be the time for a fresh start. My daughter is very much in favor of the idea, as having a dad to visit and stay with in Oz is pretty much top of your 'cool list' when you're 18! - not to mention it could also open the door for her future too.

My dilemma is that as a secondary/high school teacher here in the UK, I have to give my school here 3 months notice and there's a lot of red tape to get through before an overseas trained teacher can work in Australia. I've looked into teaching in NSW and QLD in some depth and it seems that the employment prospects for teachers are not as good as they are here in the UK. This combined with the fact that the academic year in Oz doesn't start until the following February, means I'll definitely need to find some form of alternative employment until I can establish myself in a teaching role.

If you're still reading, here's some background info and my plan to date...

Relocating to Gold Coast / Brisbane this September - I have friends in both of those places, so seems like a good idea.

Rent out my house in the UK for a year until I see how things work out over there.

Work: Willing to have a go at most things until the right job comes along.

Background: IT professional turned secondary school teacher (5 years ago).

Age: 44. Good health/fitness - enjoys outdoor lifestyle etc.

So my burning question is; does this seem like a good idea or a bit 'pie in the sky'? My main concern is that I will have a job getting a job, which is why it would be nice to get some feedback from any Poms who are living and working in the Gold Coast / Brisbane area.

My apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place, but it seems the 'Job & Careers' section is only for job adverts.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Max.

P.S. We have a tonne of snow here this morning, if you'd like some sending across?!

front.jpg

back.jpg

front.jpg

back.jpg

Guest Guest31881

Hi max,

Welcome to PIO. Not sure how you would go in finding a suitable job, but if you are willing to "think out of the box" you should be fine. I came to Australia after retiring from the UK Ambulance service. Before finally stopping work about 3 months ago, I was a caretaker / curator of a Museum in a smallish town. So if you are willing to be flexible anything is possible. You may also find that posting on our sister site for the QLD and Brisbane areas may offer another route for information.

http://www.lifeinqueensland.com/

Good luck with your adventure....

Guest FreeSpirit
Hi max,

Welcome to PIO. Not sure how you would go in finding a suitable job, but if you are willing to "think out of the box" you should be fine. I came to Australia after retiring from the UK Ambulance service. Before finally stopping work about 3 months ago, I was a caretaker / curator of a Museum in a smallish town. So if you are willing to be flexible anything is possible. You may also find that posting on our sister site for the QLD and Brisbane areas may offer another route for information.

http://www.lifeinqueensland.com/

Good luck with your adventure....

Many thanks for that Colin, I didn't know about the 'Life in Queensland' Forum - I'll post my query on there too :-)

Cheers, Max.