Newcastle!

Guest thewayforward

Guest thewayforward

Hi everyone, I may have the opportunity of a transfer from Preston UK, too Newcastle NSW with work. No brainer?

Would just like to get a feel for the place really?

The money on offer with this position is around $1200 a week before taxes! Is this a relatively good salary all things considered?

It would be me and my wife that would be moving over, she is a tele-sales manager over here, so she would be looking to stay with in this field if possible. Just wondering if anyone could give us a rough idea of what sort of lifestyle we could expect with this information in mind .

Kind Regards

I'll have a go at helping/kicking off a discussion for you.

We have friends (Australians with kids) who live in Newcastle and enjoy it. It has some nice beaches. Is close to the Hunter Valley. You can be in Sydney in a couple of hours on a good day - longer by train or rush hour. It is close to some great countryside/beaches.

Salary - difficult to gauge - $1200 before tax is 'about' equivalent to having a salary of GBP 28k. If you live off that kind of salary now, you will probably be able to life off that in Newcastle - check out realestate.com.au for house prices and rentals costs and compare with whatever you do now for accommodation. Does the salary including super (in which case you need to subtract that, and tax, from your gross salary to work out take home)?

Hope it helps!

Guest thewayforward

Thanks for the reply fleabo, the salary is a little less than what I get over here but I’m sure the sun shine and beaches would more than compensate for that. My company has said there is more info on its way as regards to the deal with visa's and resettlement packages etc. I have a million and one questions but don’t want to waste anyone’s time till I know we could afford to live over there!

Thanks again!!!!

Guest littlesarah

I live on the Central Coast, and work for an organisation based in Newcastle. It is a popular place to live and work, and has some lovely beaches, countryside, etc. Like anywhere, there are some not-so-nice areas, and some popular and more pleasant suburbs too.

I don't think I can comment on whether you can afford the move, because it would depend on what your relocation package would include (at the moment people can still get LAFHA, which reduces one's tax liabilities considerably), and that would make your salary relatively higher, potentially.

If you're looking to rent, I reckon it would be possible for 2 people to live on that amount, although that depends on where you live, and what type of property you go for, and of course it also depends on what you like to do. I live on Central Coast, and I think we could manage on that sort of income if we rented a house instead of getting a mortgage on a renovation project (aka Money Pit)! Having said that, we don't spend a great deal on going out, expensive cars or luxury items, which of course would make a difference if that's what you're used to.

I reckon it's always a good idea to do some research - get on the 'net and have a look at whatever info you can about the Newcastle area, that will give you an idea of what's on offer. Property websites will provide you with the opportunity to look at the rental and for sale properties available (though bear in mind that some will be cheap because of their location).

I'm sure some of the PiO-ers who live in the Newcastle area will be along in a little while to share their thoughts and opinions.

Best wishes.

Sarah

Guest thewayforward

Ha, I thought as much Matt!!! Thanks for your reply Sarah, we seem to be spending most evenings now on the laptop reading up on Newcastle !

Since I was last on here the company has released a package, the details are as follows -

A 457 Long stay Temporary Residence visa for me and my partner for a period of 4 years. A 38 hour working week with 20 days per year holiday, $31 per hour and SGC (9% Superannuation Guarantee Contribution) paid in addition to the hourly rate. Economy flights for me and my partner, 20ft container, 4 weeks temporary accommodation and temporary car hire upon arrival. They will also provide health insurance coverage for the duration of the 457 temporary visa and there is a taxable settling in allowance of $12,000.

What does everyone think?

It works out at $1178 a week. What would I expect to see after stoppages? To put you in the picture I earn 30k basic in the UK, my partner is in telesales and earns slightly more than myself. We have had a quick look at sales jobs in Newcastle and it seems limited to say the least.

A lot to think about, we would be grateful for your opinions/advice.

Regards

Guest Hurls10802

On Facebook there is a group called expats in the hunter. You should be able to find any info from people on there. I know at least two whose husbands are working At williamtown.

Guest littlesarah

I'm sure there's a tax calculator somewhere on the ATO website. I have about 25% of my wages stopped for tax, though I usually get some of that back when I submit my tax return (expenses etc are not necessarily deducted at a set rate by your employer, some things can be claimed at the end of the tax year. Deductions vary according to your occupation).

For real estate prices and information, try domain.com.au and realestate.com.au. That will help to give you an idea about the cost of renting a property in the areas you're considering (though do bear in mind that some of the cheap suburbs are cheaper for a reason). You'd also need to factor in the cost of insurance (if you're renting you still need contents cover). Council rates are usually included in the rent, but you're likely to have to pay for electricity and water.

Like I said before, I know people who live on the sort of salary you're considering, but they aren't necessarily spending big on expensive hobbies and designer clothes!

If you could get your employer to trade up to premium economy or business class tickets, now that in itself would be a bonus! (IMHO)

Guest thewayforward
On Facebook there is a group called expats in the hunter. You should be able to find any info from people on there. I know at least two whose husbands are working At williamtown.

Thanks for that, I have just posted on there! So we will see!!!!

Guest thewayforward

Thanks for that Sarah, Ill have a look at that! Its good to know we could live off that sort of wage. But my partner would want to find work as well. So looking at it we should be ok!!!

oh and i will be mentioning the upgraded flights!