need more info on moving to oz

davidcuth

hi my partner is a pipelayer / drainer and has over 24 years experience in construction, his occupation is on the SOL just wondering if he needs to get any other qualification for this? as we are planning on emigrating to perth there are myself partner and 4 kids ,all he has is a cscs card and confined spaces certificate, also hows the beat way to get your visa through an agent or direct? as the agent wants a payment of £185 to do a full assesment, and what other costs they charge for ? not sure about this. we want to move as soon as but dont know how much money we need behind us? , his job is in high demand in australia so shouldnt be a problem getting work hes applied for a few jobs but they say that when he gets his visa to go and see them when he arrives there. i ahve been reading loads of stuff on here and they all different

any advice would be much appreciated

Any decent agent shouldn't charge you to do an over the phone assessment (there are a couple hanging around on here).

Bearing in mind the EOI model kicks in on 1st July which could complicate/change your situation I would get going ASAP.

Have you checked the states occupation in demand lists for your OHs occupation as that would be the quickest route to a PR visa (176 State Sponsored).

He will need to do and IELTS test and most importantly get his skills assessed.

Go through www.immi.gov.au/visawizard to check out visa options based on your situation.

im gonna pay the 185 to see were we go from here as ive just looked up and he hasnt got the qualifications just the work experience which is over 20 years just getting all references together to send off for the skills requirement ticket Do you know how long the visas take to come through once you have all the documents required, ie birth certificates , passport numbert. do you know what other documents we may need ?this is all new to me and im just soooo confused with it all

cheers

We contacted a couple of agents as we are in a similar situation to yourselves and we were not asked for any money upfront to check our elegibility. Suggest you speak to a couple of other agents. Also advise reading the DIAC inside out. You will quickly learn what is needed and what steps you have to take. If you have enough points, you might not need to take the IELTS exam as you will automatically get 6.5 for having a British passport. OH had to take it as he needed 8 in all four subjects to claim the 20 points.

My husband is qualified in the UK (but not the same qualification in Aus), and we have been running our own business for 7 years, so we are currently going through a skills assessment for him to acquire an AQF III. This is basically an assessment of prior experience. You will need to provide evidence of being in your trade for a required time, evidence that you have been trading (i.e. tax returns) and give examples of work, testimonials from clients. You will also be required to have an interview with a assessor and a technical exam, so there are options. Good Luck.

how long approx does it take to get the skills assessment throu because i cant go in for my visa until that comes throu, we have his tax returns, references, cscs card, confined spaces card. do you know what else we require ?also were does the interview take place

The timescales on the skills assessment is different for each trade.

The technical exam will take place in the UK, there are various places that this can be done. You will be advised by the assessing authority as to where you need to go.

If you have an agent, they should sort this all out for you. If not, have you spoken to the assessing authority? You will find this info on the DIAC website, it is normally Vetasses or TRA for trades.