'I'm Swimming In The Rain' (At Bronte)

MARYROSE02

The rain's not a problem but it's cold tonight. I had the car heater on and my fingers had that numb, 'flattened' feel after my swim in the pool at Bronte. Still, I can remember coming home in England after a winter's bike ride and my fingers SO cold & numb I was literally dancing as the feeling flowed back into them.

No, the pool is safe (I hope) although if the sea is really rough waves break over the rocks and wash into it. It's lit at night too otherwise I'd not go in there after dark and I'd NEVER go into the surf after dark. There are always other people in there whatever time I go down too. I was surprised the other week to see people swimming just before midnight in the pool at Coogee. I went in too.

I had to have a hot shower when I came home last night after the swim which I don't normally bother with. (I have a cold one at the beach although if the changing rooms at Bronte are open they have hot showers.) I was thinking about getting my winter duvet out last night too.

Back in shorts and T Shirt now though and thinking of Clovelly or Bronte again. I'd go to the harbour beaches but I worry about the signs warning of possible stormwater pollution when it rains.

I noticed that sometimes if we went to the beach after heavy rain, if there is a creek that runs out across the beach it is reddish in colour. I thought is was suspended particles of earth, but someone told me that it is the tannins from the tea trees. I haven't been to the beaches at Clovelly/Bronte or anywhere up in northern Sydney. We tend to stay south Sydney/Illawara, but I think we might have to make the effort to go up and have a day out there.

The harbour beaches all have signs up warning about possible stormwater drain pollution - the likes of dog **** and other 'unmentionables' that ends up in the drains and gets washed into the harbour. I got the train down to Wollongong a couple of times and had good swims there and also stopped at one of the beaches - could be one with a camp site behind the beach - between Sydney & Wollongong.

Bronte was nice tonight despite the rain and I had a hot shower afterwards. The park behind the beach is nice for picnics/BBQ's and there are 3 or 4 cool looking restaurants I keep meaning to check out.