Page 1 of 112 1231151101 ... LastLast

Title
      The Import Oracle (?!)
      Liked
      178 times
      Rep

Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell
      Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while
      Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)
      2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)
      3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate
      4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle
      5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary
      6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)
      7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared
      8) includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration
      9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture
      - make, model & variant
      - body type (coupe, convertible, etc)
      - engine size & fuel type

- transmission
      - drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)
      - mileage
      - any special features, options or modification
      - does it have aircon
      - realistic current UK market value
      - Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)
      - Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out

**Please note, our responses will normally be just an A, B or C. If you want a full breakdown of costs, you'll need to email us via our website***
      Last edited by Iron Chef; 07-12-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Iron Lady Imports ... For more information visit www.ironladyimports.com or PM me on here.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      35948 times
      Rep
      Sob the attachment isn't there
      If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Title
      The Import Oracle (?!)
      Liked
      178 times
      Rep
      It's still in the testing stages, I want to run it on a few examples before I go handing it out!
      Iron Lady Imports ... For more information visit www.ironladyimports.com or PM me on here.

Title
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
      Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell
      Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

1) using my services at AUD990 (it's set up for my customers, obviously!)
      2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)
      4) a customs value at 75% of the normal market value
      5) includes customs duty and GST
      5) a set figure for dock charges (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)
      6) includes the cost of a valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared
      7) includes $1000 for minor modifications needed for registration
      8) does NOT include registration costs (because you pay that on all cars, whether they're imported or bought here in Australia)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

1) Year/make/model/mileage/aircon or no aircon
      2) Market value in the UK (be realistic!)
      3) Market value in Australia (search via www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)

Let's test it out
      Hi iron chef, I'm hoping you can help, we have been Melbourne for 4 weeks now and our car is sitting on my brothers driveway in the south of England waiting for us to start the painful procedure of getting over here. The details are: BMW x5 3.0d sports, 70,000 miles on the clock, with air con. Valuation in England was 12,000, valuation on redbook.com.au is $32,000. Hope you are able to help, kind regards, john

Title
      The Import Oracle (?!)
      Liked
      178 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by 1978porter View Post
      Hi iron chef, I'm hoping you can help, we have been Melbourne for 4 weeks now and our car is sitting on my brothers driveway in the south of England waiting for us to start the painful procedure of getting over here. The details are: BMW x5 3.0d sports, 70,000 miles on the clock, with air con. Valuation in England was 12,000, valuation on redbook.com.au is $32,000. Hope you are able to help, kind regards, john
      Category A :)

If you need my help, give me a yell.

Title
      Liked
      342 times
      Rep
      A UP....

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep

5) a set figure for dock charges (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)
      8) does NOT include registration costs (because you pay that on all cars, whether they're imported or bought here in Australia)

What I need from you:

3) Market value in Australia (search via www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)

Let's test it out
      1) 2009 / Fiat 500 1.2 POP / 4000 miles / no aircon
      2) 6000 to 6500
      3) $11,400 - $13,200
      ACS RPL Application Lodged 15/01/2010, ACS 2231-79 (Network Security) Granted 25/02/2010, IELTS 20/03/2010 Band 8.0, 175 CSL Visa Online 08/04/2010, CO assigned 07/06/2010, Medicals Finalised on 18/07/2010, Docs changed to MET 5/08/2010, 175 Visa granted 23/08/2010

Title
      The Import Oracle (?!)
      Liked
      178 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by neilharrison_253 View Post
      1) 2009 / Fiat 500 1.2 POP / 4000 miles / no aircon
      2) 6000 to 6500
      3) $11,400 - $13,200
      Category C mate, sorry. The lack of aircon makes it an even worse bet.

(PS got your email, will reply tonight!)

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      Category C mate, sorry. The lack of aircon makes it an even worse bet.

(PS got your email, will reply tonight!)
      :) Thought as much but wife wanted me to try and find out. For sale it shall be..
      ACS RPL Application Lodged 15/01/2010, ACS 2231-79 (Network Security) Granted 25/02/2010, IELTS 20/03/2010 Band 8.0, 175 CSL Visa Online 08/04/2010, CO assigned 07/06/2010, Medicals Finalised on 18/07/2010, Docs changed to MET 5/08/2010, 175 Visa granted 23/08/2010

Title
      Liked
      12 times
      Rep

What I need from you:

Let's test it out
      Hi.
      Mazda 6 2005 Diesel , aircon , 57k miles 3700 ( realistic ) Oz $17k ( $15k for lower and higher miles ) .... Have you a D cat
      I may seem grumpy.... but I am smiling on the inside and that is all that counts ! :army-frown:

• John Mason International Movers

•  
    Page 1 of 112 1231151101 ... LastLast