What does NSW remind you of?

daveg1980

Hi,

I am inn the process of applying for the 176 visa.

I am trying to keep the wife happy after a hard week of her telling her parents that she is moving away, she is riddled with guilt and feeling really down. So.. can anyone suggest any good online guides, videos, books etc about Sydney/NSW? I think I need to cheer up and keep the NSW dream alive!

What does Sydney remind people of, if you had to compare?

Hope everyone is well!

Dave

I grew up in Hornsby Heights - just north of Sydney - and it wasn't until I got the chance to visit south wales that it clicked. It is pretty similar.

Really? I struggle to see it myself

I'm not sure I can compare NSW - what I've seen of it - with any sort of landscape from the UK. It all looks and feels very different to me

Guest shusselmann

I agree with Boganbear and LKC, NSW countryside (driving south \ north of Sydney) reminds me of the UK countryside, drive from Bristol to Devon.

We moved from London to Sydney - we feel that Sydney's city centre gives us the city buzz we enjoyed in London but we live 40 mins by bus from the CBD and also enjoy a beach lifestyle.

Not sure this helps but I still feel guilty about leaving family and friends although once you get settled and are enjoying life you start to feel that the benefits of being here outweigh the guilt...

All the best.

I was talking to a young bloke from London at Bronte this evening, asked him why he likes Sydney? He said that as he is training so much for iron man sports that the climate is much nicer and Sydney being a bit smaller than London is also much easier for him to get around. That's just one opinion, mind! I always ask this question of migrants.

That area south of Wollongong is very pretty and green and with the mountains in the background I guess I can see why Capt Cook was reminded of South Wales. I got the same feeling of deja vu driving along the M4 a few years back.

I'm not sure if the New England area of NSW really does remind people of 'England?' Sometimes, when I am driving along New South Road through Rose Bay, where it flattens out and the road seems wider, it makes me think of English seaside resorts, but I'm not sure which one specifically? Bournemouth/Poole? Lytham St Annes? Brighton? Eastbourne? I'm just not sure but I had this 'feeling' of similarity.

Guest guest64081

Oops pushed send too soon :P

We visited friends in Gerringong and I foolishly commented that the cost there rminded me of Wales, to which I was told "well that'll be why they were inspired to call it NSW"

Bondi reminds me of Blackpool, lots of hype but a bit tacky in reality, still worth a visit though.

I felt guilty about leaving my family but it soon passes, skype, facebook, e-mail and snail mail help enormously and as soon as you start making friends here and go for a walk in the bush you realise that the move is worth it.