Why Australia???? (+ more questions)

Guest DevontoOz

Guest DevontoOz

Hi All!

I'm a bit nosey lol! and wanted to know why you've chosen Australia? For me it's the weather, the lifestyle, the wildlife and because I think our young children would have a fantastic life in Oz. I went to Australia for 10 months in 2001 and think about it often. We've finally decided to try for a visa. For those of you who have made the move, what do you like or dislike about Australia? Are you glad you made the move? Is it how you imagined?

Thanks

Gemma

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Gemma

i love Oz, we had got fed up of the UK but I also love moving around, we decided we would like to try for Oz and because everyone said we would never do it, we were more determined to succeed. It took us 2 years and we thought that was a lifetime.

I have never been back to the UK since we have been here, never missed it apart from at Christmas. The kids love it, they have so many more doors open to them.

Guest GoldCoastMag

I too have never looked back. Everything I need and love is here in Australia.

The freedom to enjoy the climate in all its changes, along with the drought and then floods, the sunshine and the wet season, the sub tropical climate with all the plants that I was used to only seeing in hothouses.

The native animals and even after 40 years I still wonder at the colourful birds, noisy although they are. I often pinch myself because i still feel like I am on holiday even though when you live in a foreign country it is so different from spending a holiday in it.

We just eat so much healthier here than the 5 years I spent in the states but still manage to enjoy our frequent outings to restaurants from all different localities, Indian, Chinese, Thai, Japanese and many others.

Living in a tourist location we have the beach at our doorstop and all the attractions available for tourists such as theme parks, clubs and native animal sanctuaries, but still manage to live in a place with good friends and neighbours nearby.

There are lots of things here that are different and take a little getting used to when you first arrive, with the help and support of friends and forums such as these, most things can be overcome, or a different city or place may suit you better.

The only thing that can be devastating to some is leaving loved ones behind, so arranging how visits or internet or phone calls to stay in communication will be organised can be key to feeling less isolated from your family of origin.

We moved because we never wanted to retire and were disliking more and more raising our children in the UK. We dislike the culture and felt it was going worse and worse.

We were stuck in a rut, in debt and was bored with our life.

My best friend lived in Australia and had done for 20 yrs and told us how wonderful the lifestyle was for her children, compared to how we grew up.

We came for the lifestyle, my friendship, my children, new experiences, to start again and challenges.

Australia has been all we hoped for and we love it here.

The job. Had a very nice job offer and thought why not. For me, i can take or leave Oz. Its "ok" but i wouldnt say more than that.

For the original poster; i personaly have never understood the concept of it will be good for the children. Why? Oz has all the same problems that the UK has and some are worse - Oz has some of the highest rates of drug abuse in the world. There are the same issues with loutish behavior, same teen drunks, same teen pregnancies. What you lose is the ability to visit Europe on a whim. The myriad of arts, culture and history available in the UK and Europe. But you do gain Oz rules football. Personaly i know which i would prefer my children to be exposed to.

There is the sports culture. Though it is primarily a sat in front of the TV watching with a tinny version: Hence one of the highest rates of obesity in the world. But hey, thats another gain.

You do gain sunshine, but also the fact 1:3 gain skin cancer.

There is wildlife and i do like seeing the roos around where i live, but also tiger snakes, brown snakes and redbacks which seem to love taking residence in my letterbox. You lose, what is one of my favourite sights, a stag on a cold misty morning.

Oh, and if your working at the moment and comming out with a job not conected to resources then you may well have another gain - unemployment.

I disagree...

I guess it depends where you live and what you come from. I spent my childhood days drinking cider on the park

My son and daughter have seen FB pictures of their friends falling about drunk at parties/houses.

My kids now are away from that, their lifestyle is spent with family and friends at ther beach, local cinema, forest walks, city at night playing in the beach (which is very family orrientated at southbank as apposed to lovely Manchester city centre)

We learn local wildlife, history here and visit the museums. There are art centres about if they so choose (never visited one myself, ever, in the UK anyway) and theatres. There is pretty much everyhting they could do in the Uk nearby except the yobbish gangs and drunken friends. I am well aware of the fact nowhere is perfect and drugs are worldwide (my friends sister died of drugs here)

However, living where we did and now living here, seeing my kids friends from both grammer and secondary school, I and my hubby are so glad mine live here now. (my visiting sister and grandparents say the same thing and what a wonderful childhood they have here and how family freindly it is)

We dislike watching sport but instead spend time outdoors playing it, which is encouraged in the schools mine go too and their are LOADS of outdoor activities and things too do.

From reports I have read, skin cancer is on the rise EVERYWHERE even more in the UK.

I believe the OVER use of sunscreen and sunbeds too be the reason personally.

As well as skin damage burnng. Safe sun exposure is very healthy and beneficial.

Agree with the insects :)

but I have seen one redback in 3 yrs and not one snake.

Everyone feels differently and for me I do not understand it when people say it is not good for the children, we have found it is just that.

The job. Had a very nice job offer and thought why not. For me, i can take or leave Oz. Its "ok" but i wouldnt say more than that.

For the original poster; i personaly have never understood the concept of it will be good for the children. Why? Oz has all the same problems that the UK has and some are worse - Oz has some of the highest rates of drug abuse in the world. There are the same issues with loutish behavior, same teen drunks, same teen pregnancies. What you lose is the ability to visit Europe on a whim. The myriad of arts, culture and history available in the UK and Europe. But you do gain Oz rules football. Personaly i know which i would prefer my children to be exposed to.

There is the sports culture. Though it is primarily a sat in front of the TV watching with a tinny version: Hence one of the highest rates of obesity in the world. But hey, thats another gain.

You do gain sunshine, but also the fact 1:3 gain skin cancer.

There is wildlife and i do like seeing the roos around where i live, but also tiger snakes, brown snakes and redbacks which seem to love taking residence in my letterbox. You lose, what is one of my favourite sights, a stag on a cold misty morning.

Oh, and if your working at the moment and comming out with a job not conected to resources then you may well have another gain - unemployment.

Edited by fairystar32

I agree with fairystar32, it depends where in the UK you come from and what your situation there was. What can I say? Australia isn't perfect, where in the western world is? But for us, our lifestyle *is* better, we are better off financially, work less for more money, live in a better area, have so many more opportunities and yes, we came 'for the kids' too. We have not been disappointed, our child loves it, has no desire to return to the UK, she has more space, more sunshine and fresher air.

Luckily, we had travelled quite a bit before moving here, saw the sights of Europe, yes, I do miss that but I have memories and photos, my child does too and what is stopping us from having European holidays in the future? Nothing, that's what. =]

Overall, Oz has been more than good to us, we love it here.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi All!

I'm a bit nosey lol! and wanted to know why you've chosen Australia? For me it's the weather, the lifestyle, the wildlife and because I think our young children would have a fantastic life in Oz. I went to Australia for 10 months in 2001 and think about it often. We've finally decided to try for a visa. For those of you who have made the move, what do you like or dislike about Australia? Are you glad you made the move? Is it how you imagined?

Thanks

Gemma

Hi Gemma

our reasons are similar to yours the weather, the beaches, the outdoor lifestyle and, especially the better future aspect for our kids, i see little chance of a bright future here in the uk for youngsters and it looks grim for the foreseeable future.

Hello, it is so nice to hear some positive aspects of moving to Oz. I feel like some of the posts are so depressing, that it makes me want to change my mind about moving to Oz, but it wont, I know everyone wants to hear honestly what is in store, but a little more upbeat news would be good. We are going with the view to a better life, the same reasons as most, what is going to become of the UK in say 10 years, what futures do our kids have, we have three children and there is no way we can afford for all three to go to university, but to get a decent good here its the minimum you need. We are going for the good weather, beaches, hopefully more time together as a family and as many have posted on here, surely even if you have no more money than you do in the uk, surely sitting on a bench in good weather would make you feel better than sitting in doors watching it rain.

I was sitting in a cafe in Surry Hills - Cafe Foveaux - having a second breakfast after the Spurs v Wigan game and I was talking to 'Steve' about his Aussie experiences. He thinks he may have to go back to England to look after his parents but he said there's no way he would live there for good again. For him, there are just too many opportunities plus he likes the weather here, notwithstanding the rain this morning.

How much does the 'full English' cost in a cafe in England now anyway? I paid for both of us - bacon, eggs, tomato, toast for me, the same plus sausage & hash browns for Steve, coffee for me, pot of tea for him $30. I paid on my UK debit card so I suppose I should be looking at the FX rate for today.

Many of the issues and problems that other people face here perplex me. I seem to recall being briefly frightened that I would get a hard time from Aussies but that fear dissipated on my first day in Perth. I have never had to moderate my behaviour when I'm interacting with Aussies (whatever 'Aussie' means!? Many of the ones I come into contact with are migrants from other countries. In fact I was talking to the Chinese lady who runs one of the convenience stores by my flat today. 'Do you miss China?' 'No.' 'Do you want to retire to China?' 'No, my son is here and he would never leave. Besides, I love it here.')

Watching the football from England, half of the blokes are Aussies anyway, not just Pommies and we are all Spurs fans. I just find it so easy to get along with people here.

You're right, more positive testimonials would be nice. However, I wouldn't let the negative stuff worry you too much. The life of an ex-pat is a bit of a weird one, impossible to articulate really but instantly understood by those in the same position. We're never really at home anywhere you see, and having already made a big move for a 'better life' we are more critical of our quality of life, little irritations get blown out of proportion. This is my experience anyway, I have some days more positive than others, I don't worry about it anymore, all part of the fun. :wink:

Guess what I' m trying to say is, take the negative stuff with a pinch of salt. Hope all goes well for you and your dream to get to Oz comes true.

Hello, it is so nice to hear some positive aspects of moving to Oz. I feel like some of the posts are so depressing, that it makes me want to change my mind about moving to Oz, but it wont, I know everyone wants to hear honestly what is in store, but a little more upbeat news would be good. We are going with the view to a better life, the same reasons as most, what is going to become of the UK in say 10 years, what futures do our kids have, we have three children and there is no way we can afford for all three to go to university, but to get a decent good here its the minimum you need. We are going for the good weather, beaches, hopefully more time together as a family and as many have posted on here, surely even if you have no more money than you do in the uk, surely sitting on a bench in good weather would make you feel better than sitting in doors watching it rain.

Hi All!

Thanks

Gemma

Hi Gemma

Our reasons for Australia are similar to yours. We have chosen Australia as my OH has been several times & he loves it & can see his future career there. My OH has gone as far as he can here at the current place he is at, he is a farmer & works for a brillant family, however there is going to come a time that their kids will grow up & take over work there. My OH has worked over the country (UK) on several different farms but has always had his dream to go to Australia. He has now been offered a fantastic opportunity & it is something as a family we cannot pass up. I personally have never been. I know plenty of people that have & they have really enjoyed it, some have come back & some have stayed or some are planning to go again. For us as a family it is a big opportunity. I am a hairdresser & have only been doing it for a couple of years, over there the opportunities for me are really good too. The schools I have looked at for my son are really good & they offer a fantastic education. We are going there hoping we can build the future we want & build on the careers that we both love. We are hoping to offer my son & future children a great lifestyle & build something for them. We want to be able to say we have done this & look where it has got us. When we first talked about it I was unsure as I have never really been anywhere & I am close to my family. Now I really want to go. The more I have kept on open mind & researched everything I can see what Australia has to offer us & compared to the UK at the moment it is 10 times better. Yes I am going to miss my family but they all have their own lives & it doesn't stop them from coming out to visit us or even join us & it will not stop us from coming back to see them. :smile:

Guest Louise74

lol Australia or UK??? Mmmmm the weather def on the plus side, my hubby got offer of work visa for 4 yrs and I have 3 young children just had to jump at the chance!! We moved here sept 2011 and love it!! On the downside cost of living is expensive! Especially the rent... oh and school fees!! but apart from that its a chance in a lifetime!!!

Good luck with visa!!

Louise