Sydney - suburb review- currently looking @ Newtown/erskinville/Annanadale/Balmain...

Playghirl

All those suburbs you mention are OK although Annandale and Leichhardt do not have a station so it's be a bus to the City then change for another bus or the train. Depending upon where you are in Leichhardt you might be close enough to use the tram to Central. I particularly like Leichhardt but I prefer living in Surry Hills within an easy walk of Central.

Camperdown can be expensive because it's where the hospital is, so demand for places to live for hospital employees is high. It doesn't seen to have a 'centre' like other suburbs do. Bit of an odd place, I think.

Annandale has a small village type centre with only a handful of shops / cafes. It's quite quiet, 'settle down-y' and pretty exclusively white.

I find Marrickville a bit scruffy. (I don't think this makes it any cheaper). Quite a lot of people who live there are arty / aternative-y.

If you're driving, you really need to leave by 7:30am to beat the traffic to the Northshore on a weekday morning.

We live in Balmain East and love it, close to the pubs, restaurants and cafes of Balmain and a short ferry ride to the city. I work in North Sydney and its an easy ferry journey to Milsons Point then 15 minute walk to North Sydney. Housing in Balmain is very pricey though and many of the places small 19th century workers cottages

Guest leopold

I just moved from the CBD to a place in Burwood and really like it so far. There's a very definite centre with the main street, lots of restaurants, cafes etc. Nice park and big Westfield shopping centre. The best part is that 2 of the train lines are direct to the city (western and northern). Plenty of trains and only 16 mins and 3 stops to town hall. Just looked at that heat map of aircraft and as I suspected Burwood is safely to the west of the main activity. Would recommend that you take a look and see if it suits you.