Stay where you are??

CockneyRebel

With all this doom and gloom about, if you have a decent job either in UK or Oz is there any point in moving?? You could be out of the frying pan into the fire. Obviously we all know the unemployment rate in the UK is at a 19 year high but Oz is not immune.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/young-workers-hit-by-rising-unemployment-20120124-1qevx.html

If you have a decent job and can still pay the mortgage off you may want to stay put wherever you maybe.

Something to think about.

I couldn't agree with this post more. As someone who left a perfectly good job and life in the UK to move to OZ, then two years later left what I now see to be an equally good life/job to move back to an awful situation in the UK, if you are happy with what you have it doesn't seem worth it to make the move the way things are at the moment.

Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward when you move .. I went from being in a senior position in the UK to a junior one here in Aus, applied for the opportunities that arose and worked my way back to a similar position. The reality is that you may not be able to walk right into a like for like job either moving here or returning to the UK

Guest Monte Zenia

Have to say I regret bitterly moving back to Europe had good jobs in Oz been back here in Spain waiting now 6 months to return to Adelaide. love the job there the people and the lifestyle there are just no jobs in the U.K. and certainly not Spain although the sunshine is great !!!!!

• 4 months later...

we only came back dueto cost of housing and the fact i am a Builder that could not build his own house.Been back 120 months just move into our new house which we will sell on in a year to 18 months do the same again and may be then we will be in position to buy out right in Melbourne we hope or at least a affordable mortgage for one wage coming in

I think its about what you want out of life. I would personally prefer to move from a good job in the UK, to a lower job and work up here in Australia because Australia is where we want to be and retire and raise children, however, it is not for everyone.

Its a chance some are willing to take and others are not and some will pay off and some will not, just like life.

You may also loose your job in the Uk 12 mths down the line. nothing is certain in life. it is up to us in what chances we want to take.

If you LOVE life in the UK and have a great job, great lifestyle then do not move, expecially if you cannot accept you may find yourself in the opposite position. If however your willing to do whatever it takes and find the lifestyle here is for you and the gamble is worth it, then life is too short to not try.

When we emigrated we both gave up good jobs, in the middle of a recession in both countries to come here. We had been married a about 3 years, our first boy was 2 when we emigrated, we were living in a decent enough place in the UK but had reached the point in our lives where we were thinking "is this as good as it gets?" Saving up every year for a couple of weeks in the Sun in Spain, Portugal, Greece, France. Feeling really alive and enjoying life when we were away and then getting back after the hols. landing in Manchester airport and thinking, that's it for another year then.

Might get the odd week here and there when the weather was good enough to make it feel worth while but not often enough. We weren't depressed or anything and went out a fair bit. Did lots of sport, had good friends and family close by.

Luckily my missus lived in Canada for most of her school years so knew that it was possible to move and settle somewhere else. We both liked the sound of Perth and the climate sounded ideal for us. So we gave up the jobs, sold the house and moved over. No jobs to come to either so a big risk looking back on it. Had to start again but it's worked out great. Wouldn't change anything for quids. Only thing is we wish we had made the move 20 years earlier, might have been young enough to have a go at Aussie Rules.:cool:

I think, that if you base your life's happiness around your career then stay in your job, right where you are. No matter what country.

But for me.. Life is too short to not take a risk, not to see if life could be better for you (not just financially) somewhere else. If we lived by the notion of staying put because the job market is in a right state and we are lucky to have our job, we'd never leave our home countries, instead staying in them and moaning about how we wished we could live somewhere else.

I've lived in Oz my entire working life, and it's one thing to say our job market here in Oz is better than the UK... but if you don't have the right qualifications, it doesn't matter what country you live in. I'm lucky I'm a nurse, I don't have any trouble where I am. But others aren't so lucky. I just don't see the point in telling people not to come to a country because the job situation is dire. Some people need to relocate because of family, or study, or they are in a rut in their own country, or want to experience a different culture, or may have been long term unemployed in their country (including Australia) and want to try their luck elsewhere.

There are a truck load of long term unemployed in Australia, just as there are in any other country. There's a truckload with great jobs in both countries. I think it's grossly unfair to make such a generalised comment, when we are all individuals with VERY different skills, and goals in life. Some people are happy to sit on benefits all their life and contribute to the unemployment numbers. Others try their hardest to get work but can't either because they aren't skilled enough, or there are too many people going for the same job. Some are too fussy and knock back jobs because they dont like the pay rate, or perks, or location. Its no different here in Australia. We have a smaller population, and with that a smaller number of jobs available.. but it's comparative elsewhere.

Either way, life is too short to live it where you aren't happy.

Moving country won't necessarily make you happy, you may think moving to Oz will be your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. But I don't want to burst your bubble, but depending on your situation and skills, that pot of gold might be empty when you get here. Then again, it may not. It works the same when travelling the other direction.

Don't let realists or doom mongers put you off of moving. If you want an adventure, if you want to take a risk, if you want new experiences.. be it good or bad.. grab it by the balls and go for it.

Again, Life's too short to sit at home and moan about the status quo all day.

Edited by Woofyhugger

Guest guest68546

I left Uk for Oz because I could....I'll leave Oz for Uk because I can. I could sit in Oz right now in a well paid and secure job but thats not really enough.....I'll take my chances. Instead of being negative, I'll be positive. For every immigrant leaving a job in the Uk to come to Oz it leaves a possible job opening for an emigrant from Oz to the Uk!!!

Yeah it is a massive gamble to move country without a job either way. If you come to Oz and get a great job and settle here fine then don't jump to moving back to UK just because you can. It happened to me and honestly it gives you grey hairs doing that. Ping ponging is expensive so go once and if it works out great. There are always holidays in England to look forward to if you need a fix of what you are missing out on. Its not as far away as it once was. Personally there's enough going on here to keep me happy.

I think, that if you base your life's happiness around your career then stay in your job, right where you are. No matter what country.

But for me.. Life is too short to not take a risk, not to see if life could be better for you (not just financially) somewhere else. If we lived by the notion of staying put because the job market is in a right state and we are lucky to have our job, we'd never leave our home countries, instead staying in them and moaning about how we wished we could live somewhere else.

I've lived in Oz my entire working life, and it's one thing to say our job market here in Oz is better than the UK... but if you don't have the right qualifications, it doesn't matter what country you live in. I'm lucky I'm a nurse, I don't have any trouble where I am. But others aren't so lucky. I just don't see the point in telling people not to come to a country because the job situation is dire. Some people need to relocate because of family, or study, or they are in a rut in their own country, or want to experience a different culture, or may have been long term unemployed in their country (including Australia) and want to try their luck elsewhere.

There are a truck load of long term unemployed in Australia, just as there are in any other country. There's a truckload with great jobs in both countries. I think it's grossly unfair to make such a generalised comment, when we are all individuals with VERY different skills, and goals in life. Some people are happy to sit on benefits all their life and contribute to the unemployment numbers. Others try their hardest to get work but can't either because they aren't skilled enough, or there are too many people going for the same job. Some are too fussy and knock back jobs because they dont like the pay rate, or perks, or location. Its no different here in Australia. We have a smaller population, and with that a smaller number of jobs available.. but it's comparative elsewhere.

Either way, life is too short to live it where you aren't happy.

Moving country won't necessarily make you happy, you may think moving to Oz will be your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. But I don't want to burst your bubble, but depending on your situation and skills, that pot of gold might be empty when you get here. Then again, it may not. It works the same when travelling the other direction.

Don't let realists or doom mongers put you off of moving. If you want an adventure, if you want to take a risk, if you want new experiences.. be it good or bad.. grab it by the balls and go for it.

Again, Life's too short to sit at home and moan about the status quo all day.

Great post.