Areas to live south of Wollongong

Guest The Mellor clan

Guest The Mellor clan

Hi fellow expats

We are a family of four (including two children aged 6 and 3 years) relocating to Wollongong at the beginning of February. This is our first time in Australia and we don't know anyone in the area - so hence my request for help!

We have researched property prices and schools on the internet but wanted your opinions about the suburbs south of Wollongong and up to and including Shell Harbour. Any information is welcome (good and bad points) and also if you have any information on primary schools that would be great.

Thank you

I can't help you particularly with suburbs south of Wollongong (we only looked at the northern ones between Wollongong and Sutherland Shire), but for school info have a look at http://www.myschool.edu.au which might help with selecting a school. The Illawara region is absolutely beautiful, the only reason that we selected Sutherland Shire in the end was because hubbys work is in Sydney. Otherwise it would have been around Wollongong for us too. There is an Illawara thread on here with several expats who live in and around Wollongong, so you may find someone on there that can help if you put a post.

Hi fellow expats

We are a family of four (including two children aged 6 and 3 years) relocating to Wollongong at the beginning of February. This is our first time in Australia and we don't know anyone in the area - so hence my request for help!

We have researched property prices and schools on the internet but wanted your opinions about the suburbs south of Wollongong and up to and including Shell Harbour. Any information is welcome (good and bad points) and also if you have any information on primary schools that would be great.

Thank you

Hi - I grew up in the 'gong' (what the locals call Wollongong) and have to say that there are only a couple of places I would live on the southern side although I will admit a few new areas have opened up since we moved away which I dont have much knowledge of so I will stick to the ones I would avoid. These include - Port Kembla, Windang, Berkeley, Lake Heights, Albion Park Rail, Cringila. Some parts of Primbee and Oak Flats near the lake are OK but there are some not so nice bits as well. Shellharbour itself is nice. I know Kiama is a bit further south but it is nice and not much further.

• 3 weeks later...

Port Kembla is beautiful. I live here and I wouldnt change it for the world. Every area has its bad parts no matter how good the rep. The best thing you can do when you get here is drive around and get a feel for what you would call home. Personally I'd stay away from Cringila as it has views only of the steel works. PM if I can give you any other info. We have been here for 13 months now.

Port Kembla is beautiful. I live here and I wouldnt change it for the world. Every area has its bad parts no matter how good the rep. The best thing you can do when you get here is drive around and get a feel for what you would call home. Personally I'd stay away from Cringila as it has views only of the steel works. PM if I can give you any other info. We have been here for 13 months now.

The southern side of Port takes some beating, million dollar homes, voted best and cleanest beach in NSW for the 3rd time, and the best swimming pool in the Illawarra.

The southern side of Port takes some beating, million dollar homes, voted best and cleanest beach in NSW for the 3rd time, and the best swimming pool in the Illawarra.

True that Skippy! We have million dollar views of the ocean and the lake, great neighbours and a wonderful life. I have to remind myself every day how blessed we are!x