Going on holiday to Sydney on sunday, what to see and do and what to miss out?

bell123321

Hi everyone :)

I am off to Sydney on Sunday arriving tuesday local time for two weeks. I was just wondering what people would recommend seeing and and what is a waste of money? We are off to Perth afterwards so do not think we can afford to go Melbourne or Brisbane so looking just at Sydney and surrounding areas. It is myself, husband and 5 year old daughter.

So far from looking on the internet I have found the following, what are people's opinion, are some not worth the money and better skipping? Are there any other must see's? :)

So I have Sydney Sky Tower

China Town

Museam of Sydney

Royal Botanic gardens

Australian Museam

Blue Mountines

Manly via ferry

Paddy's market

Featherdale wildlife park

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :biggrin:

Guest WaltzingBack

Jenolan Caves in the Blue Mountains - you could try 'The Plughole' if you fancy some adventure caving.

Bicentennial Park - horse riding or urban walk.

Manly to the Spit Bridge walk - great city views.

Hawkesbury River tour.

Hunter Valley wine tour.

Have a lovely time!

Thank you Janeeb74,

I just wondered what is at Kings Cross, Darlinghurst, and Newtown? Is it just a place to have a nose and wonder or is there any place specific I should visit? :)

I wouldn't recommend any of those places with a 5-year-old! Kings Cross is a seedy red-light area and Darlinghurst not much better. Newtown has more than its fair share of alternative-looking people. Interesting for adults but not likely to impress small children.

Bridgeclimb is worth doing but not with kids.

Do a Harbour cruise,

Visit Taronga Park Zoo,

Rivercat to Parramatta,

Swim at any of the Harbour beaches (Parsley Bay or Nielson Park is good for kids)

Wander around Darling Harbour

Take a jet-boat ride

I'd give the Australian Museum a miss unless they have some special attraction on for kids. Paddy's Market is nothing special - unless you want tons of tourist tat. :wink:

I wouldn't recommend any of those places with a 5-year-old! Kings Cross is a seedy red-light area and Darlinghurst not much better. Newtown has more than its fair share of alternative-looking people. Interesting for adults but not likely to impress small children.

Bridgeclimb is worth doing but not with kids.

Do a Harbour cruise,

Visit Taronga Park Zoo,

Rivercat to Parramatta,

Swim at any of the Harbour beaches (Parsley Bay or Nielson Park is good for kids)

Wander around Darling Harbour

Take a jet-boat ride

I'd give the Australian Museum a miss unless they have some special attraction on for kids. Paddy's Market is nothing special - unless you want tons of tourist tat. :wink:

Thanks for the heads up on Kings Cross etc, will be with our five year old the whole time so will miss there. I was curious about the Australian Museam due to in Perth it is free and its okay to pass an hour or two but I have seen you have to pay in Sydney. A cruise sounds nice and so does the zoo. Is the aquarium worth a visit or is it just simular to what you would see anywhere else? And thanks for heads up on Paddy's market I was just looking at recommendations on a travel website.

Thanks for the advice everyone :biggrin:

Jenolan Caves in the Blue Mountains - you could try 'The Plughole' if you fancy some adventure caving.

Bicentennial Park - horse riding or urban walk.

Manly to the Spit Bridge walk - great city views.

Hawkesbury River tour.

Hunter Valley wine tour.

Have a lovely time!

Thank you for your suggestions :)

Guest EukiBear

Adding:

Central, Town Hall, China town, Darling Harbour, Powerhouse museum, everything is with in walking distance, or you can catch light rail(tram) from Central.

Take a spin around City Circle to familiarise yourself with the area.

Don't bother with the monorail

Theatres are all down in that area if a live show is to your taste.

"Annie" is currently showing,etc.

Euki

Adding:

Central, Town Hall, China town, Darling Harbour, Powerhouse museum, everything is with in walking distance, or you can catch light rail(tram) from Central.

Take a spin around City Circle to familiarise yourself with the area.

Don't bother with the monorail

Theatres are all down in that area if a live show is to your taste.

"Annie" is currently showing,etc.

Euki

Thank you for your suggestions very welcomed :)

It's only little, but I like Hyde Park Barracks museum (about convict immigrants), you could do it in an hour or two. I'd also suggest part of the Bondi to Coogee walk (not all of it with a litle 'un!). I personally don't feel it worth paying for a harbour tour boat as such, as taking the ferries to specific destinations is just as nice and cheaper (ferry to Wason's bay / The Gap / South Head is a good one). I went to Featherdale Wildlife Park in 2009, a little scruffy and smelly but your 5 yr old probabily won't mind that and will love it.