Motorbike arrived in WA port, what next??

fourcorners

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I can't find any information specific to WA.

We have imported a Suzuki motorbike and expect to hear soon that we can pick it up from the removal companies warehouse in Kewdale. Problem is, we live in Kalgoorlie, 600km away. Originally we were under the impression that the bike would be delivered to our home address along with the rest of our stuff. But I think this is more of a contractual issue between our UK movers and the Australian movers. But it looks like we'll be heading to Perth soon.

We have been trying to find out what needs to happen next, and keep getting different answers. Andy tried calling the department of roads and transport here in WA, the import authority in Canberra and an approved inspection engineer. Some of them say we need to get it inspected in Perth (which would be a separate trip so that's about 2500km so far...) to get the endorsement of compliance, then others say it can be inspected locally. The website is not clear, or at least we can't find a clear answer.

Has anyone imported a motorbike into WA? We're especially keen to hear from anyone who does not live in Perth.

Thanks,

Lauren & Andy

I think Ghost has recently brought a bike into Wa.

look up the user name, and send him a PM. He should be able to help you.

There are quite a few companies that ship bikes all over Australia. maybe do a google search and see what you can find. 1200km just to pick up the bike is a big hike. (althoug I lost my bag off the back of my bike on a ride one day, and had to do an 800km round trip to pick it up )

I phoned the department of transport earlier and they were a bit more helpful (maybe because I have a more pleasant phone manner than Andy!). We will have to get it inspected in one of the main inspection centres but it doesn't have to be Welshpool which doesn't do appointments (we had heard some people waiting for days to get vehicles inspected there). So we can make an appointment at Osborne Park just after picking the bike up from the depot. Once it's been inspected we can send off for the compliance plate and get it registered.

We don't mind going to Perth once but twice would have been a nightmare so I'm glad we don't have to get it re-inspected after the compliance plate is fitted. But you've got to wonder what it would be like if we lived further away.