Can we transport car and belongings to WA after settling

nicmark

Hi all,

Just a query.

We are looking to emigrate in May (we have to go then to validate our PR visa) and will be able to stay with friends till we're sorted, approx 3-4 months. We we're wondering whether we could transport our cars and property after we have arrived and had a place of our own. I no can take that long for things to be transported, but dont think we can afford to send it before we move. Will need to send money home when we are in work and more settled

Cheers

Nic

Guest oldmarried

To the best of my knowledge I don't think there is actually a timeframe. In order to get your goods in tax and duty free you need to satisfy a couple of conditions, namely that you have used the goods overseas for more than 12 months and that you are taking up permanent residency. I think if you were to set up a home and buy everything new and then 2 years later try to ship your stuff out you would have difficulty satisfying the authorities that you were entitled to bring these goods in. But in your case you are goin go live with friends and then only bring the goods in when you are ready to set up a home.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/UPE_factsheet.pdf

Maybe contact Customs for further advice.