What needs to be disenfected for shipping

derham

I've been reading loads about people disinfecting items for shipping, can anyone tell what needs to be disenfected and how?

Things like hoovers( inside and out) and bikes need to be thoroughly cleaned prior to shipping.....thats what were doing, just make sure theyve got no mud or dirt on them - just like when you bought them- new !!!:twitcy:

Hi one of the shipping agents told us to make sure under the bike seats are clean, apparently these are customs favourite place too look. Basically it is anything that comes into contact with dirt,(or also food) also lawnmowers, garden tools,spice jars, etc, etc Guy told us to clean shoes with milton, and other stuff with zoflora, as it is a lot cheaper than jeyes, as also smells nice.

Hi one of the shipping agents told us to make sure under the bike seats are clean, apparently these are customs favourite place too look. Basically it is anything that comes into contact with dirt,(or also food) also lawnmowers, garden tools,spice jars, etc, etc Guy told us to clean shoes with milton, and other stuff with zoflora, as it is a lot cheaper than jeyes, as also smells nice.

Where did you get Miton and Zoflora?

Guest oldmarried

It is not a requirement to disinfect anything. However, you do need to make sure that you have removed dirt and soil from any items. If they are not clean enough for the inspector they will taken for further cleaning by Aqis. The reason for disinfectant is because you can smell it and the smell lingers for a long period of time. It therefore gives a big hint to the inspector that you have been hard at it with your scrubbing brush! The removal company will make a list of the items in your shipment. Aqis will look down this list and select boxes and packages which they suspect may contain issue items. Typically we are talking shoes, camping and sports equip eg golf clubs, bicycles and pushchairs.

I would not worry about scrubbing kitchen crockery and utensils, assuming of course you wash up from time to time :wink:

I didn't disinfect anything and the only thing I cleaned was the vacuum cleaner. I threw out some shells and a bottle with sand and sea water in it - and got rid of prohibited foods including all my honey :(

But you can take this way too seriously. The link Oldmarried posted is clear about what AQIS is looking for - food, seeds, soil and living pests. If it's not one of those things then you don't need to worry about it.

They will have a good look at camping stuff, and anything outdoorsy (they certainly did with us). And unless you've got the most amazing lawnmower on the planet I really wouldn't bother and just buy a new one over here. (They're pretty cheap here anyway)

Jeyes fluid, scrubbing brushes and a pressure washer :)

Stuff i remember AQIS looked at:

Camping stuff - pay close attention to pegs and poles, make sure no grass/seeds/dirt.

Shoes and boots - defo scrub them and disinfect (preferably keep them all in one box so it's quicker for AQIS = cheaper)

Bikes - pressure washer, scrubbing and a decent spray with dilute jeyes (particular attention to under seats and tyres)

Fishing gear - hubby spent ages on this, but in the end they didn't look at most of it, just a little bit!

:)