Just got permanent residency and want to ship personal effects...

Guest thatdesigner

Guest thatdesigner

I came to OZ about 3 years ago on a working holiday visa and have since married an Australian and got my permanent residency.

Now I'm settled here I thought that I would ship some of my personal effects that we didn't have room for, or the money to ship previously. I arranged a shipping company and it was all good. Now they are saying that because I haven't been out of the country for over a year (last time was a holiday to Fiji in 2010) I will get charged Duty and GST on all of my items that I'm shipping.

Most of the items are of sentimental value only but there are a few bits like an old bike, stereo etc which are well over 5 years old but worth a little more.

I am really just wondering if I would really have to pay GST and Duty on the goods just because it's been left so long to ship them?

Is there any good resource that would have the answers I need? Any numbers I can call?

I don't want to get charged loads in Duty as the goods are of little value.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Ross

Guest oldmarried

well I don't agree with your removal company's interpretation of the rules. Assuming that these goods were owned by you for more than 12 months outside of Australia you are now taking up permanent residency and so are entitled to ship them duty free. So long as you have not previously brought in a UPE (unaccompanied personal effects) shipment you should be fine.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/SendingYourPersonalBelongingsToAustraliaAsCargoOrByInternationalMail.pdf