Totally Silly Question but something that is seriously bothering me a bit

Love Shoes

I have thrown out most of my clothes, they were either too small or rubbish. I intend to buy new stuff in the UK and take with me to OZ, what do I do when I get there, do I have to declare them or are they classed as personal effects, which I would hope is the case.

I also want to make a few purchases in the Duty Free lounge, I.e., face care, perfume, and a bit of make up, do I have to declare these too?

I also would like to buy a few CD´s in HMV not many maybe three or four, do I just slip these in my suit case of do I have to declare these and pay duty.

Also could someone please advise me of how much the duty normally is, as I would hate to get there and find that I can´t afford to pay the duty on my personal belongings.

Thanks guys, sorry for being a pest, but I would rather be safe than sorry :cry:

Hi, no worries about clothes etc. I have such a boring life just now I watch "Border Security" They are only interested in drugs, food, plants and untreated wood, eg, cinnamon sticks etc are a no no. Cd's in the suitcase are fine. Honestly, I was watching a programme tonight and a woman from China brought tea over, she had declared it as tea but what it was was the actual leaves from her garden with loads of bugs on. She would have got fined thousands of dollars if she had not declared it. So really, anything at all that would harm the environment here is a no no. Clothes and Cd's and definately shoes are all welcome.

I was going to say fill your boots but maybe I should say fill your shoes.

Most importantly have fun buying all that new gear, ENJOY.

Thanks ladies .... I can´t wait to visit some of my old haunts back in the UK and fill my suit case to the brim ............. one of the reasons I have chucked most of my stuff out, OH bought that :wink: after I had convinced him that they were rubbish.

So NEXT, M & S, Selfridges I will be with you very soon :twitcy: I bet there shares go up in price once i have been in the UK for a couple of weeks ha ha

Guest Guest31881
Totally Silly Question but something that is seriously bothering me a bit

The only silly question is the one that is not asked..........:ssign15:

With regards to duty free, they have charts up of what your allowance is at Duty Free iirc so you can buy what your allowance is, on things like booze, tobacco etc. If you go over those, you declare them and then pay the duty on the stuff that is over the limit (but if you don't declare you have to pay duty on *all* of it, including what you would have been allowed Duty Free.) But that doesn't apply to clothes, make up, face cream and so on, just booze and tobacco really (unless you were also buying an expensive gift, ie a watch, that was for someone else ie not personal use.).

CDs count as personal effects as well, as others have said, so everything you mention will be fine :)

Duty free can be acproblem if you transfer from one flight to another. The silly no liquids rule can catch people.

often now though, thats not a problem as they will take your duty free on the way off the plane and give it back when about to board or it can be put in specially sealed security bags.

if you take the labels etc off, its up to them to prove you didnt already own something anyway! (clothes and CDs etc i mean)

What I enjoyed about Aus was the sense of non-materialisticnessness... if that's a word, which I don't think it is. I have lived on both sides of the fence and a huge realisation to me was the need of 'things' in the UK... in Australia it's not such an issue. 'Things' don't matter. Just sayin'

Guest Guest31881
What I enjoyed about Aus was the sense of non-materialisticnessness... if that's a word,

If its not it should be

I tend to agree with you, my Australian friends do not buy a car simply to have the latest model, they do not appear to have the "Keeping up with the Joneses" type of attitude.

If its not it should be

I tend to agree with you, my Australian friends do not buy a car simply to have the latest model, they do not appear to have the "Keeping up with the Joneses" type of attitude.

That's probably a function of where you live, you don't get much of that out in the sticks in the UK either

I can assure you in middle-class suburbs of Sydney, in and around the sort of people who send their kids to private school, there's tons of it. No noticeable difference from a similar demographic back home IMO

Guest Guest31881
That's probably a function of where you live, you don't get much of that out in the sticks in the UK either

I can assure you in middle-class suburbs of Sydney, in and around the sort of people who send their kids to private school, there's tons of it. No noticeable difference from a similar demographic back home IMO

Your probably correct. i have not lived in a major city so I cannot comment on how materialistic city dwellers are.

Thanks ladies .... I can´t wait to visit some of my old haunts back in the UK and fill my suit case to the brim ............. one of the reasons I have chucked most of my stuff out, OH bought that :wink: after I had convinced him that they were rubbish.

So NEXT, M & S, Selfridges I will be with you very soon :twitcy: I bet there shares go up in price once i have been in the UK for a couple of weeks ha ha

I jut love the thought of building an entire new wardrobe from scratch. If I won the lotto I would take myself to Harvey Nicks and get a personal shopper to fetch all the bits that match the things you like so that you end up with a fab collection of outfits along with the arm and feet candy. :cute::cute:

Millie x

Can you pack opened bottles of perfume and aftershave in your shipping boxes ?? do they have a problem with this :-)

Hope so, because I am taking mine in my suitcase. I can´t see there being a problem putting them in your shipping boxes as I am taking toiletries, but no aerosols. But I have pasted the e-mail address for AQUIS here for you.

timber.imports@daff.gov.au

Guest nigel50

Obvious point but don't leave any receipts or bags with new purchases, remove all tags and labels, empty your wallets/purses before travelling! Security like nothing more than being handed things on a plate!

Obvious point but don't leave any receipts or bags with new purchases, remove all tags and labels, empty your wallets/purses before travelling! Security like nothing more than being handed things on a plate!

Yeah I had thought of that one myself too, but thanks for the reminder, it is sometimes quite nice to leave a tag on something if only to remind oneself that we have got something brand new (for a change) :wink: