Cleaning tools

Guest marchatfield

Guest oldmarried
Only DIY tools. You need to look at the AQIS website and ask yourself exactly which category of prohibited goods you are trying to avoid shipping. There's a lot of needless worry spread by shipping companies who are just trying to avoid legal comeback in case things are stopped.

Whilst I agree with you about their being far too much needless rubbish talked about this, its not because of legal comeback. There is no legal obligation on removal companies. The obligation is on the owner of the goods to ensure they meet the customs requirements of the country the goods are to enter. There might be a moral obligation on removal companies to give decent advice.

Could we get the Mods to put the link as a sticky http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/moving-emigrating

Whilst I agree with you about their being far too much needless rubbish talked about this, its not because of legal comeback. There is no legal obligation on removal companies. The obligation is on the owner of the goods to ensure they meet the customs requirements of the country the goods are to enter. There might be a moral obligation on removal companies to give decent advice.

Could we get the Mods to put the link as a sticky http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/moving-emigrating

The risk to the shipper is that if they tell you that something will be OK and it then gets seized, you will be able to sue them for your loss. On the other hand, if they tell you something won't be OK and it would have been, they won't get sued. You will have wasted your time butn will probably never be any the wise. That's why shippers always, always err on the side of caution. It's called Cover Your Behind.

Guest oldmarried

Actually that is not correct. The terms and conditions of business of removers would protect them from this (most use the standard terms issued by the BAR) as the legal obligation to establish what can and can't be shipped is down to the owner of the goods. I believe there is case law on this. If a remover gives poor advice there would be a moral obligation for them to resolve it but not a legal one. Not sure that I agree that's how it should be but that is how it is.