Cleaning tools

Guest marchatfield

Guest marchatfield

Hi there I've just started the cleaning my tools for shipping and was wondering just how clean they need to be??

Many thanks, Marc.

Guest marchatfield

Cheers for the reply it feels like the kind of job people on community service should get!!

There machanics tools a lot of snap on stuff so very reluctant to get the scrubbing pads on them!! I'm being particular about it but was wondering if I was going to far been cleaning for about 4 hours now and looks like I've done nothing!! Some stuff is discoulerd but not dirty but looks dirty, was just wondering if anyone who had already had there's checked what did they do??

Guest Guest31881

Some members once they have cleaned the tools have wrapped them up and sprinkled Jeyes fluid around to give a disinfectant smell to the package.

Guest 5am8011

im gona ask the shipping company cause im standing looking at how many spanners i could fit in the dishwasher. do you have to wrap the tools in cling film?

Guest marchatfield

Well in desperation I thought I would try something else in the cupboard under the sink I found some cillet bang and so far the dirt has indeed gone!!!

Guest mandajay

The dude from the shipping company told OH to use wire wool and WD40 on any areas of rust, then soapy water then milton then WD40 again!

I said....sod it! buy some more when we get there!

Guest marchatfield
The dude from the shipping company told OH to use wire wool and WD40 on any areas of rust, then soapy water then milton then WD40 again!

Would be a nice idea but all my stuff together runs into the 000's so I think cleaning them is the lesser of 2 evils!!! Spent about 8 hours today and broke the back of it, same again tomorrow and should be all good!!

Sounds like a waste of time. As long as they dont have soil on them. Rust is fine

Id like a second opinion on that ?? im sure AQUIS would delve a lot deeper into a consignment if they found a load of rusty spanners ?

Wire wool , paint , wd40 and i'll probably wrap a lot of my stuff in grease proof paper , even in a container tools have a nasty habbit of condensating ,,

lee

Would be a nice idea but all my stuff together runs into the 000's so I think cleaning them is the lesser of 2 evils!!! Spent about 8 hours today and broke the back of it, same again tomorrow and should be all good!!

Been sorting tools into piles for months , think ive been through my boxes 3 times and trying to be ruthless .

scrap , give away and keep . Got down to 3 double roller cabs and top boxes , and 2 pallets of boxed stuff , power tools , paslode , saw bench etc ,

Is it worth me taking Still saw and what i consider to be my dedicated site gear ??...

Bought a new snap on box the week before i decided to apply for visa , and theirs no way im leaving my baby .... :-)

Ensured my tools 7 years ago , was advised £40k , and theirs been a few additions since then..... so god knows what the shippers are gonna charge me ..

lee

Guest marchatfield
Been sorting tools into piles for months , think ive been through my boxes 3 times and trying to be ruthless .

scrap , give away and keep . Got down to 3 double roller cabs and top boxes , and 2 pallets of boxed stuff , power tools , paslode , saw bench etc ,

Is it worth me taking Still saw and what i consider to be my dedicated site gear ??...

Bought a new snap on box the week before i decided to apply for visa , and theirs no way im leaving my baby .... :-)

Ensured my tools 7 years ago , was advised £40k , and theirs been a few additions since then..... so god knows what the shippers are gonna charge me ..

lee

I am taking all the stuff I think is to far gone or not worth cleaning/packing down to the car boot see if I can have some cash to replace them when I get there.

Did you ship workshop type tools when you moved?

Only DIY tools. You need to look at the AQIS website and ask yourself exactly which category of prohibited goods you are trying to avoid shipping. There's a lot of needless worry spread by shipping companies who are just trying to avoid legal comeback in case things are stopped.

Love your way of thinking! We were wondering what the opinion was on rust and how hot they are on it - almost everything we got out of the garage today had rust on it!

Guest marchatfield

Rust is not so much an issue it's that the tool look dirty due to being discoulerd and scratched, I'm hoping I've done enough don't want to pay for a steam clean which will make no difference at all

I've just been cleaning mine, including a spindle moulder, Bandsaw and surface planer to take with me, blown them all out with a compressor, washed them with Jeyes fluid, sprayed them with water displacer then laid them out and took pictures with mi marigolds on of the tool in question and a tin of Jeyes fluid in the back ground. Each picture will have a description of the lengths I have gone to to clean that article. I am then taping one copy of that to the box of that tool and making a booklet of all the tools to put with the container paperwork. It sounds a lot of hassle but if it saves me having to pay for them to be sterilised it may be worth it. ( by the way, liking the dishwasher idea!)

Guest 5am8011

so dishwashers b0770XD now so have to try a different aproach! cilit bang is the ticket!

Oh btw apparently tools are 3 times the price over there and decent tools are dear here!!!

Rust is fine

Is this really true? I was wondering how I was going to de-rust our garden furniture. Just made a start and after two hours slog with Rust remover gel I was on the point of giving up altogether and leaving them behind. Is it true that rust will not prevent our stuff from getting through?

John & Eirian