can I ship....rattan laundry basket, painted wicker???

Libbysmummy

Sorry me again, i'm really not good at searching on this forum! I have a childs painted wicker toybox and a laundry basket rattan i think! varnished both from uk shops, will i be allowed to ship them, i know about wood but i cant work out the aqis info, i've ditched all xmas decs that arnt allowed but not sure about these. If anyone can share their wisdom, thank you x x

Guest yanchep

Hi there,

Sorry but you wont be allowed any rattan or wicker of any kind. I tried to smuggle some in in the container and was told this is a definate no no. xxx

Just to throw a spanner in the works....we brought a few wicker items....some were mentioned in the paperwork....quoted as "treated" wicker table etc etc... others were packed amongst other stuff in boxes and just weren't mentioned on the list....everything came through fine and we had customs and aqis go through quite a lot of our stuff...as long as its been treated...ie bought from IKEA, argos, or the like it shouldn't be too much of a problem.......

Libbysmummy .. Good post I have been wondering the same too.

I am a bit confused now though, Carlos has said they got their´s through, Carlos do you think it is a good idea keeping all of the wicker stuff together?? none of mine has ever been kept out doors, just a painted laundry basket, and wicker painted trunk, and a load of little baskets which have been treated. :confused: Thanks

Its the difference between what you can take, what you can't take and what is advised you don't take.

Live animal? can't take

Book? can take

Treated, clean/hoovered wicker? can take, but aqis might want to inspect it leading to larger inspection fee, and might insist on treating it depending on what mood they are in. The reason you generally can't take stuff like this is because some wicker/rattan/woven stuff is made from untreated reeds etc. They then have little beasties living in them, which obviously is what AQIS are fearful of. If its from Ikea etc, it won't have, but a good hoovering, perhaps even a splosh of milton/jeyes is a good sign for AQIS. If the worst comes to the worst, they will chuck it, but from my research its more likely they will ask if you want it treated (or chucked), the costs of which can range from $30 to $300 (from what I have read from other people etc).

Hope that helps people understand it all a bit more :)

In other words - if you're really attached to it and are willing to risk being charged for either treatment or disposal (yep they'll charge you for throwing it in the bin!) then you can.

But, i wouldn't bother unless you're desperately attached to them because chances are they'll pick up on it :)

Hello No you wont be allowed to take anything like that painted or not We had Washing Basket Waste Bins Childs Chair etc etc and couldn't take them I had forgotten about a few little ornaments which had some artificial Straw in the head also decorations sent from Aus well they were confiscated for fumigation If they find one item they will search through the lot so its not worth the risk Sorry but hope it helps