A380's uh oh!!!!

paulswin

Correct Peach the amount of investment testing that goes into the building and development of am aircraft is hugs ( how do i know i used to work for rolls royce aero division in the uk and build jet engines).the problems you see now are expected but the press when there is nothing else to print blow the story out cause the papers have to sell so that they get paid.

here is one thing for you on APRIL fools day we dont believe whats in the paper cause it could be a scam so my answer is apply that to the rest of the year. lol

i can think of one!

but seriously. i have a copy of the damage report from the QANTAS A380 which had the uncontained engine failure. you wouldnt believe how much much damage there was and yet it still kept flying. Cracks in aircraft are found all the time and due to redundancies, multiple load paths, fail safe design etc, its is unlikely that finding a crack is a big problem. the media really make a meal of things like that.

my company are constantly fighting the media when we have Pan calls or maydays, which do happen, but are often non events. especially in the aftermath of the Bond AS332L2 crash off Aberdeen in 2009.

there was a case many years ago when the cargo door of a 747 failed and when it was ripped off, took a section of the fusealge with it, yet landed safely. also the Aloha airlines 737, where the top of the forward fuselage ripped off but landed safely.

i wouldnt worry about flying in the A380. its actually very nice to fly in.

Good call s92lme, we had an engine return to us in derby that had, had the fan blade blow off major major major s*%$ over that one but the plane carried on to the closest airport and upon engine reverse build it was found that it had hit a bird on landing but the engineers at the time said yeah good to go without doing scoping into the engine itself. and sent it on its merry way ( ooops).

As for the A380 engine yes it had a problem but what they dont tell you is that a notification was sent out to all relevant parties that modifications were needed to that model number ie 900/b variant but that it could be done at its next overhaul.

And yes i know all about the build probs on the 900 engine as well as the build probs on the A380 as well as the dreamliner as well as the 1000 series.

But you never hear about the build probs on your ford or vauxhaul or merc or bmw yes i know they dont carry over 300 ppl plus but how many on the roda in one go. i would rather fly than drive lol.

As for the A380 engine yes it had a problem but what they dont tell you is that a notification was sent out to all relevant parties that modifications were needed to that model number ie 900/b variant but that it could be done at its next overhaul.

And yes i know all about the build probs on the 900 engine as well as the build probs on the A380 as well as the dreamliner as well as the 1000 series.

But you never hear about the build probs on your ford or vauxhaul or merc or bmw yes i know they dont carry over 300 ppl plus but how many on the roda in one go. i would rather fly than drive lol.

Remember the Toyota recalls about a year ago?

I believe it didnt help QANTAS that they had to use their engines at full thrust more often than other operators while waiting for the higher thrust variant/mod.

I was on that very plane the week before it blew up., and i had brought my trip forward a week because of work!

Friend of mine works in aircraft safety. He likened the issue to a scratch on the casing of a wingmirror on a car. Something to get sorted at the next major service, but you're not going to impound your car because of it...

i wouldnt liken it to a scratch on your wing mirror. its a bit more serious than that, but can still be managed till i can a repair can be done. otherwise airbus would ground it till its repaired.