Walking along Bondi Beach at midnight (after a drink at 'The Rat House')

MARYROSE02

I can't shake myself out of night shift mode, did not get up until 6pm today - and now nearly 3am tomorrow - getting my days mixed up. I went for a swim and picnic at Neilsen Park, being too scared of the surf to swim at Bondi. Meandered around Vaucluse, Rose Bay, then over to North Bondi RSL aka 'The Rat House' after the ex Rats of Tobruk who founded it. Fantastic position above Bondi Beach - I think I might join it - $8 steaks on Wed night. I parked down at North Bondi and it was so mild I ended up walking to the south end and back along the seashore. Saw a few people swimming and not sure if that's the best thing to do even if the surf was down.

I don't really like Bondi during the day, being so difficult or expensive to park but late at night with no wind it's wonderful. Plenty of people drinking at the pubs along the promenade too so it's a 'happening' place. I still prefer to live in the inner city though and go out to whichever beach I feel like. What a vast beach Bondi is! I don't know why I am thinking about those beaches at Benidorm - 'Sunrise' and 'Sunset'? which are probably longer but not wider?

I usually go to the harbour beaches as I'm timid in the surf - Neilsen Park in Vaucluse, or Redleaf between Double and Rose Bays, Parsley Bay - east of Nielsen Park - and Watsons Bay. They all have shark-proof enclosures although Neilsen and Parsley lose theirs from May through September.

They say that you should avoid the harbour beaches after heavy rain for three days or so because of possible stormwater drain pollution so the last couple of days I've been to Bronte and Clovelly. Bronte has both a proper pool plus a natural rock pool and I was in the rock pool yesterday, and in the sea at Clovelly today. The reef there keeps the big waves (and the sharks I hope) out. There's also a pool. Clovelly is pretty safe but it can be a little difficult getting in and out of the water from the various steps as it is often slippery or waves can buffet you about. (God, I am SO timid!)

I had a meal in the Clovelly Hotel tonight $16 for chicken burger and chips, not bad. Sunday night, after Nielsen I went to Pita Mix, a Jewish/Israeli place in Old South Road, Rose Bay. Sometimes I go to RSL clubs - Rose Bay, North Bondi.

I like all the beaches but I am also thinking about which ones are free to park, or easy to find free parking ie not Bondi or Coogee. There is free two hour parking at Bondi and North Bondi up the hill is OK too but there's so much traffic I don't like them during the day. I went to Coogee for a walk tonight after Clovelly but it was late so no problem with parking then, near that pub at the south end.

I've been a bit of an 'anorak' recording which beach and how many times I go in my diary. I worked out this week that Coogee is slightly closer than Bronte and Clovelly from Surry Hills - all about 7K - oh so sad! Redleaf is the closest at 5.5 K and Palm Beach is about 50K I think but I do go up there a couple of times during the summer. I went to Balmoral a couple of times last week, not bad but very busy on holidays, dear to park and great fish and chips at 'Bottom of the Harbour.' I also went to Malabar pool on Long Bay for the first time every on NYE.

If I lived on one of these beaches, no matter which one, that would be the one I'd swim at all the time, probably. I'm most sentimental about Narrabeen as I lived there in the 80's. My favourite now is probably Nielsen Park because it's free to park, has plenty of shade, and a bit of 'real' bush. If I had a family that's where I'd go too. But there's something about Bondi, more North Bondi, that I really like, especially late at night. Every time I go to one I've not been to before I always think 'Wow, why have I been away for so long?!'

I never liked Dee Why, no reason really, apart from being difficult to park but it's got a good line of bars and restaurants now. I guess you have to try a few out and then see which one 'grabs' you? I always thought it'd be nice to live in Avalon because I like the small town 'vibe' with plenty of cafes/restaurants/cinema/book shop but I don't know if I'd like to be so far out from the City. Once you are up there of course, you don't need to come to the city, except to work. I guess it's a personal, subjective thing. I was at Coogee tonight and I thought 'I don't like it here.' but I don't know why. My German friend Brigitte adores Bondi Beach and hates everywhere else. She was most scornful of Clovelly and its concrete sides which I've never minded. I like strolling up and down them looking at the water.

You know what? The joggers irritate me too on some of those beaches, especially the ones on the coastal path. Fair enough some of them are very polite and thank me for standing aside to let them by but sometimes I feel like I'm standing in the middle of a running track. All that huffing and puffing and panting is a bit off-putting. There! I knew if I typed long enough I'd divert into an ill-tempered rant!

I also like Nielsen Park, for the same reasons. Love the Kiosk cafe there (although the new layout has lost some of the old character) and the shade. Redleaf is another favourite, again because of the cafe, and because it doesn't get too many visitors due to the lack of parking and space. It also feels good to use the next door beach that fronts the houses of Australia's richest residences. If this was US or France they would all be private beaches. Haven't got much time for most of the ocean beaches, especially those on the North Shore claimed by the parish surf nazis [with their 'Locals Only' graffiti]. Must make time this summer (or what's left of it) for an ice cream at Camp Cove, lunch at that beachside cafe at the southern end of Narrabeen and a coffee at the Dunes at Palm Beach. Have yet to find a decent pub at or on a beach.

Interesting reading - thanks!

I spent Christmas Day at Neilsen and love that there's shade, but I thought the nets spoilt the overall look of the place. (I swam outside them anyway, not really sure why - was this stupid?). I too dislike the concrete bits at Clovelly, though not enough to 'scorn' it - ha! I love Avalon, but yes, just too far away. Similarly, Palm Beach. I haven't noticed 'locals only' graffiti at the Northern Beaches - which ones? Bondi, Coogee, Manly and Shelley are all too busy for me. Curl Curl doesn't have the infrastructure (which is good, of course, but means it's not the place for me). Newport didn't really grab me. Little Congwong was sadly covered with washed up litter the day we went.

I will find time to visit Narrabeen, Redleaf and Bronte, following your comments :o)

How do you feel about Maroubra? I understand that it used to have a bad reputation because of the surfers. I had a fab time there the other day. Maybe it'll turn out to be my favourite.

I can't believe people go out running at the hottest time of day instead of early a.m or late p.m - seems mad to me!

I think it was Freshwater where I saw the grafitti - but it might have been Newport. Probably just my imagination but I always got a bit of an insular vibe from the northern beaches. As my Aussie colleague says, the North Shore isn't so much a place as a state of mind. Having said that, I do like to walk the length of Narrabeen - it's such a long and wild walk it sets you up for having lunch at the ?Surf Rock cafe at the southern end - which I now realise is actually Collaroy, not Narrabeen.

4029359210_336da38553.jpg

Bronte is another favourite - great place for kids and a lazy Sunday morning breakfast. The key is to get there early and find a free parking spot on the road above the beach and walk down.

4029359210_336da38553.jpg

I went to Clovelly again this evening but it wasn't so nice as there was a strong wind. I'm very wary and timid each time I negotiate the stairs in or out of the water. I went in from the 3rd set of steps on the north side, slipped just a bit, and decided to swim to the beach to avoid having to climb the steps again. I drove to Maroubra Junction on a whim afterwards, via Coogee and the road that carries on south past a cemetary. There's a club at Maroubra Junction - part of Souths Juniors - 'Souths @ The Junction - used to be the old RSL. (The doorman told me.) The food looked OK but I was cold after the swim, the cool wind and the air conditioning.

I have heard about 'Surf Nazis' on some beaches - Narrabeen perhaps - but it's surfers not general swimmers. There are probably not so many surfers so it's easy for locals to pick out the 'foreigners.' I've not been to that cafe at Collaroy although I've been in the Services Club which looks out on the water. I've not been in the pub on Pittwater Road either but the Narrabeen Hotel is probably OK too for beach goers. Most of them are kid-friendly now anyway. I went in the Clovelly Hotel last night and saw a row of 'high chairs' (the things kids eat in?) in the bistro. Perhaps it will be kids just in the bistro. Many places are VERY relaxed towards kids and I guess they want the custom.

I Googled 'Little Congwong' and it's a nudist beach! I'm almost as shocked as when I was going on a Ramblers' walk in The New Forest once and I Googled the car park and found out it was also popular with 'doggers!' I think I did walk towards it once - you head around the bay from La Perouse towards the ocean. The nudist site said 'park near BARE Island' which I thought funny! Lady Jane is nudist too isn't it? You go past Camp Cove on the way to South Head. There wasn't much sand when I went past it last year.

Maroubra is OK whenever I've been there, lovely beach really and maybe not usually as crowded as ones further north. Parking free for four hours I think and there are a number of cafes including one on the promenade and in the side streets. I think the pub allows kids in too - I went in there for a drink once. I also walked the length of the beach and continued a little way over the rocks which I had not done before. Perhaps in a way, Maroubra is like Bondi or Coogee 70 or 80 years ago? There is the Seals Club there too on the front - I always use the clubs, Rose Bay RSL when I'm at Neilsen or Redleaf, and now North Bondi RSL. The doorman there said to me 'This is Bondi mate, we don't care what you wear.'

I don't think you should swim OUTSIDE the net at Nielsen! There are not too many shark attacks in Sydney harbour but a Navy diver was attacked at Garden Island a couple of years back. Some people are not worried about swimming outside the nets. I just need to see a clump of seaweed below me and I freak out. The shark net at Parsley Bay is much more understated than Neilsen, more of a boom across the bay. That's a nice place too, you sort of carry on past Neilsen Park and it's before Watsons Bay. There's limited parking but you can also park on the street in a couple of places above it. There's an old suspension bridge over the bay which is nice to walk over. I like it there but I once swam across the bay and put my hands out on the rock and cut my fingers on oyster shells. I saw that last weekend they were serving fish and chips from the little chalet place at the eastern end of Neilsen Park - 4.30 to 7.30pm Fri to Sunday I think.

That is Seven Shillings Beach next to Redleaf. I like walking to the far end and skimming stones. There is a security guard who comes down to Redleaf and locks the gate - I think he must also lock the one leading down to 7/- Beach too. Last year there was a hole in the wire fence where they store the boats but I noticed that it was closed up again last time I was there. I was swimming in the winter at Redleaf last year for the first time. I'd always stopped swimming about May but last year I kept going all the way except when I got colds. Redleaf is usually very sheltered and warm even on winter days but i always wrapped up in 3 or 4 layers too as soon as I had my (brief) swim. Come to think of it, one of the guys in the cafe told me how warm and sheltered it is there - TOO warm in summer and maybe too crowded on weekends. You are not supposed to park in Woolahra Library if you are swimming and only for 30 mins anyway, but after 6pm and on weekends it is OK. During the week I used to turn left past Redleaf at the next set of lights and go up the road a bit then walk back to the cul de sac with a cut thru to 7/-.

A bloke at Watsons Bay told me that the water is warm for swimming right up until May and I think he was about right. I found that swimming in winter was not too bad, tried it in the pool at Bronte too where they have hot showers in the changing rooms. I only go in for 3 or 4 lengths but it's a good feeling to do it. Some people put wet suits on in the winter I've noticed.

Is that Collaroy in the photo? I think I can see the headland in the background? Long Reef is not a bad beach but it's a long, long time since I've been there. I do park up the hill when I go to Bronte. I walked to Bondi last year there and went through Tamarama ('glamarama') which I'd forgotten all about.

I don't like going to the beach when it's hot - you mentioned Curl Curl - that was the one time I got burnt last year, first because I drove from Artarmon with a short sleeve shirt and no sun block on my right arm, and second because I was on the beach in the middle of the day. There's a nice board walk path there though where I parked for free. I had coffee in a cafe which is part of the surf club complex ( I think?)

I'm very much an evening swimmer - and if I can only get my act together, a morning swimmer too. I don't know what people do with kids to keep them from getting sunburnt. I guess those 'rash vest' things are very good, must get one too, sun block of course. During the middle of the day, it's packed, and hot and unpleasant, but in the early mornings and late arvo/evenings all the crowds go but it's still usually very pleasant!

i always wear a rash vest. i have it in my head that lady jane is a nudist beach too, but i didn't know little congwong is!

i was wondering where the local dogging spot is, so thanks for that. (i wasn't really, guv, honest...).

a few colleagues at work have mentioned milk beach as a little known gem, so i plan to pay it a visit too.

so many beaches! so little time!

i'm thinking about entering one of the shorter ocean swims in february. i have been getting up early to swim before work but only in the pool where we live...feel it's time to up the challenge!

If you're looking for quiet but easily accesible beaches near the centre of Sydney it's worth checking out the ones along the route from Taronga to Chowder Bay via Bradleys Head. The beaches just around Taronga wharf are surprisingly quiet despite all the crowds heading into the zoo. We spent a very pleasant Australia Day at one of them (?Whiting Beach) a couple of years ago - able to see all the activities on the harbour but without all the vocal nationalistic bogans who now spoil this day at places like Manly. They're good for a paddle - not sure about a swim, though! They are quite popular with boaties who like to anchor just off the beaches and spend the day chilling out. Chowder Bay is also quite nice, but there's not much shade and it can get a bit crowded with kids.

I think Milk Beach is on the north side of Neilsen Park in front of one of the historic houses? If it is the one I'm thinking of, it is nice too. Come to think of it, you don't need to go to Neilsen Park to go there but park on Vaucluse Road.

I saw something on the news on Channel Ten today about people being wounded by stepping on rays, maybe at Rose Bay & Church Point? I think someone recommended stamping on the sand before you charge in to scare them away from the shallows. There's always something new to make you worried!

I went to Bronte this evening and had a lovely swim in the rock pool which was very calm today. The restaurants were all open in the parade of shops by the bus stop. I went to the Clovelly Hotel again for a meal which I enjoyed.

I've got a rash vest but I bought one too big as they are supposed to fit tightly? I won't be doing any ocean swims - could perhaps handle a couple of widths of Clovelly.

I've not been to those beaches on the north side of the harbour apart from the ones that are on the Spit to Manly walk. It's a long time since I did that too.

i always wear a rash vest. i have it in my head that lady jane is a nudist beach too, but i didn't know little congwong is!

i was wondering where the local dogging spot is, so thanks for that. (i wasn't really, guv, honest...).

a few colleagues at work have mentioned milk beach as a little known gem, so i plan to pay it a visit too.

so many beaches! so little time!

i'm thinking about entering one of the shorter ocean swims in february. i have been getting up early to swim before work but only in the pool where we live...feel it's time to up the challenge!

Ocean swim, much respect. Couldn't dream of doing that

I haven't found my ideal Sydney beach yet. I like some of those on the north side (much more accessible for me), Palm & Whale beaches nice but too far, Something about Avalon doesn't click, not sure what? We were at Warriewood last weekend, I liked that, quiet, easy parking, nice looking and for an ocean beach the swimming area between the flags is very shallow sloping so it feels safer for taking my lad (4 yo) out in. No rock baths or cafe though, so not ideal. Narrabeen is nice cos of the facilities and the sheltered option by the lagoon entrance for the little ones, gets busy though because of that. Collaroy I find a bit windswept

There are a dozen or more that I haven't tried though, so plenty of time to go :)

I'd like to go to the beach more and so would my son, unfortunately my redheaded wife doesn't like going, she feels too sun-exposed.....

When I lived in Narrabeen in the 80's I used to swim in the surf there but now I only dare swim in the baths at Collaroy or North Narrabeen - where the lagoon feeds into the sea - or the sea feeds into the lagoon? I always thought it would be a nice holiday staying the camping park there. I've retained a soft spot for Narrabeen. My parents bought a house there opposite the old Royal Antler Hotel - now units I think. I learnt to sailboard on the lake too. The view from Collaroy Plateau is something special if you've never been up there.

I know it's hard trying to avoid the sun but it's pleasant at the beach in the early mornings and late arvo/early evenings. I'm surprised sometimes by how few people are around in the evenings. The natural rock pool at Bronte is usually safe for kids and I noticed that it was in the winter that it was too rough to swim there. Last night it was perfect, as it was both calm and shallow, no more than waist high.

Clovelly is pretty good for kids too, swimming off the beach, not the sides, although when it's calm it's pleasant for them too. It's just a little difficult sometimes getting in and out of the water from the stairs. There's a lifeguard on duty during the day.

Neilsen Park is probably the best for shade as it has lots of trees. There's always some 'fly in the ointment though' - bugs! Big ants and sometimes biting flies - 'March' flies I think they are called, like ordinary flies but they bite!

6.30pm so time for me to head out to a beach and I might go to Bronte again. I like to sit and read my paper/book, write my diary until it's dark, then maybe find somewhere for a drink. That's twice I've been to the Clovelly Hotel to eat and I liked both meals.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to Warriewood today and it's rapidly becoming my favourite beach. The fact it's probably closest helps, also because there's very limited parking down at the beach and you pretty much have to park at the top of the cliff and walk down, it's quiet too, and very beautiful

Also today with the tide being a lot higher, there's a sandbar which creates a small lagoon behind it so there's calm and safe swimming for little ones despite it being a ocean beach - fantastic. Had an ace time with my 4yo son, dot him introduced to the power of the sea today....lovely clean warm surf

:biggrin:

I gave some friends a lift to Coogee about 1130pm and one suggested we have a swim in the pool. I thought it was far too late but there were two or three others there so I went in too. It's about time for me to have a sentimental drive to the Northern Beaches and I can't remember when I was last at Warriewood so I might go there!

Managed to fit in 3 beaches today.....hired a tinny from Gonsalves boatshed in Palm Beach and puttered across Pittwater to the deserted Portuguese Beach for lunch....when our time was up we hadn't had enough water so went to Palm Beach (ocean beach), nice but surf and rips way too fierce for kids. So after an hour or so we hopped back in the car and back down to Warriewood. Cemented my opinion of that beach, I love it. Parked for nothing, nice friendly people, for an ocean beach it's really really shallow sloping and so great fun for getting the kids used to a bit of surf. Had a ball

Sadly I am now in the doghouse as, tbh, we had a bit too much sun and stayed too long so despite blocking up on 4 or 5 occasions and hats all round, my son's caught the sun on his cheeks

:err:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11999[/ATTACH]

Is that your rented 'tinnie' in the photo? Is it safe to go across Pittwater like that? (You can see how nervous I am about boats.) I missed my first swim today, did not mean to but I went for coffee with a friend at 3.30pm to Cafe Scilliana in Crown St, Surry Hills, and we left four hours later to go for a walk then into the Trinity Bar.

I went to North Narrabeen for a swim in the ocean pool on OZ Day as I was going to see a friend in St Ives. I saw there was a beach just to the north and thought that was Warriewood! It's got a funny name which I can't remember although it's also known as 'Liittle Narrabeen.'

You have to be SO careful in the sun. I rarely go to the beach between 11 and 4. Watch how the cricketers plaster themselves with sun screen and zinc cream.