Richmond area - what's it like?

KazzKing

Hi,

I'd like to finalised a list of 'potentials' for areas that we may move to later this year.

We're still deciding on either a reccie trip first or the big one-way move...

Please can those in the know tell me what Richmond is like.

Current favourites are:

- Blackman's Bay

- Taroona

- Kingston

Is Richmond like any of those - facilities wise, good schools etc?

I urrently live 35mins from Edinburgh and Glasgow cities (Scotland), so a

similar commute to Hobart CBD would be good.

Thanks v much

K

Short answer from me - I don't know, we haven't been to Richmond yet.

Richmond is appreciably further away than the others though and also not on the Derwent so you'd need to travel for beaches or water activities. Kingston/Blackmans Bay are good areas - plenty of shops etc there too (Kingston especially) and nice beaches. Taroona is smaller than those without the same shopping facilities but just down the road from Sandy Bay - and indeed Hobart - where there are shops and facilities galore. Taroona has a good beach, especially if you like hills! Sandy Bay (just down the road from Taroona) has very nice beaches too.

Sorry for the lack of Richmond info!

I would thoroughly recommend a recce trip if you can though. Then you can see the places for yourself and have a much better idea. Also you can drive between them and see what a commute would be like.

We actually drove to Richmond today which is an odd coincidence! The drive isn't that far really - certainly commutable - and is through the coal valley wine region (we got distracted and had to visit a couple of cellar doors...). I would say though that Richmond struck me as a very small, tourist oriented, town. It kind of reminds me of somewhere like Tintagel in Cornwall. A very small place with a couple of tourist attractions and a lot of gift shops/cafes/etc that are themed in line with the tourist attraction. It's nice don't get me wrong but personally it's more of a place to visit than to live.

We've only got a short-term lease ourselves and it's coming up for renewal in a couple of months so the topic of "where shall we live" is something that we talk about too - and something that we were talking about tonight. We went out in Salamanca tonight for a meal and a couple of drinks and a taxi back to where we live (Lower Sandy Bay) was less than $15. So that means that we have pretty much the whole of Hobart's evening attractions a 10 min/$15 taxi ride away. That's an important factor for us. The only place you would get that from your list is Taroona (prob 15 min/$20). I would guess (and it is only a guess) that Kingston would be at least a $50 taxi ride away.

I suppose it really is a case of deciding what you want as Kingston/Blackmans Bay have particular plus points and Taroona (and I'd definately add Sandy Bay to your list) have others. That said, a recce trip would help the decision process considerably!

As I said in another thread though, unless you secure a long-ish term rental from the UK, you are very unlikely to do it in the first week or so here. That means that you can hire/buy a car and have a good look at the areas you are considering after you arrive - even if you haven't done a prior recce. We looked at probably 20 properties before we rented one and that gave us a clearer idea of where we did/didn't want to live.

Good luck!

Hi,

Great info as always - thanks so much.

It does make sense to actually be there before committing to anything long-term, so will definitely have time

to narrow down the search areas.

Sandy Bay looks fab but seems expensive, hence Taroona. Will see what finances are saying nearer the time as

we could be fine for Sandy Bay.

So exciting, yet sooooooo much to sort out...

Thanks again.

Kx

Hi,

Please can those in the know tell me what Richmond is like.

Current favourites are:

- Blackman's Bay

- Taroona

- Kingston

Is Richmond like any of those - facilities wise, good schools etc?

I urrently live 35mins from Edinburgh and Glasgow cities (Scotland), so a

similar commute to Hobart CBD would be good.

Thanks v much

K

No - Richmond is nothing like the other 3. It's basically a small town with maybe 1500 people in a farming area. There is one state primary school and one Catholic primary school. The commute into Hobart would be about 30 minutes. You can have a look on GoogleEarth and do a fly around to give you an idea. (It does have Australia's oldest bridge, oldest postal building and oldest Catholic church...and a very nice bakery.... but you can visit those once you are settled elsewhere!:biggrin:)

• 4 weeks later...

You should look in the channel area of tas its beautiful only 40 mins from Hobart going towards Cygnet lots of lovely water views , great restaurants ,pubs ,cheeseries ,boaties paradise ,good artist communities ,Good schools ,and cheaper than the areas you have mentioned .

• 2 weeks later...

Richmond is very pretty and seems like a really lovely small town. There appears to be quite a big tourist element to it and there were a number of coaches etc. stopping off while we visited for the day. I personally would hate to have to do the commute to Hobart every day. It's largely on a fast, single carriage road, with a fair amount of farm traffic, coaches, cyclists etc.

We have recently settled in Kingston and like it. Someone told me that Kingston is a bit like vanilla ice cream. Quite pleasant, but nothing spectacular about it and I have found myself agreeing with this sentiment. I prefer the feel of Blackman's Bay as it's a bit smaller and has a community feel, but there are fewer services there and you'd have to drive to Kingston to get to a decent sized supermarket.

Good Luck with the move. We are very new to Tasmania but have enjoyed our first couple of months here.