Afro hairdressers in Newcastle?

jo123

Ok so it may seem a bit random to be asking this but I really need a good afro hairdresser in Newcsatle or surrounding areas.

My daughter has the most amazing 'fro and I'm not really willing to cut it when we get to Oz ( in Feb), as it takes ages to grow back but i want her to be able to get a sunhat on for school etc. I will be getting it braided before we leave so it won't be a major issue for about 6 weeks but need to keep on top of it in Oz as her hair is so thick it tends to hold the heat in.

Thanks to all who help in my random quest x

Guest Guest62757

It might be worth posting this question on the essentialbaby forum.

In all my visits (hubby's went to uni there and his mother lived there until recently) I haven't seen many people with afro's so not sure that there would be a market for a hairdresser. You might find something closer to Sydney and make a day trip of it?

Or if it is just braiding then I would assume hairdressers that attach weave extensions would be able to just braid? There are a few mobile hairdressers that do this in that area.

Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help.

Guest Guest62757

Hi again,

I was just driving down Mann Street in Gosford when I saw a hair salon that advertised as doing afro braiding and corn rows etc.

It's only an hours drive down from Newcastle. I couldn't see a name of the salon as it just said Hair Salon, vague I know. Heading towards the water it was on the right hand side near a set of traffic lights.

edited to add I think it is 110 Mann Street Gosford from street view!

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, you will love it! and its really hot here - remember to pack light and maybe a raincoat (just incase of the odd shower) and make sure you hit those beaches :-) I live up in the bay so contact me if you need any more info? Long flight but so worth it!x

Thanks for that Mckays! It would be nice to meet up once I have found us a house (easy peasy), found my daughter a school (no problem for me, super mum) and got my hubby settled in to work (can't work miracles) then it should be possible. Please do ask your hairdresser for me but could you ask if they braid afro hair, lots of places in the uk say they can braid but when i say "Afro hair?" they go all thoughtful and say "weeeellllll i could give it a try" lol

We are packing light as i figure i can buy fleeces n coats when it gets cold(?) and got rid of lots of my pretty pretty shoes just so i can go shoe shopping again ha ha ha ha.

We have a 16 hr stop in singapore and i am looking forward to it so much! mainly a swim and a shower but also the butterfly garden and foot massages. Im a simple gal. lol

Where abouts in the uk are you from? and how far from Jewells area do you live? Ihave no concept of distance on maps, think its cos im female lol xx