Shipping your car via container? New rules as of Jan 1 2012

Iron Chef

Taking a car over isn't very cost effective IMHO and also cars in Oz are tuned for the heat and have beefed up A/C (I think in most cases).

As someone who has just been back in Aus for 12 months, after 10 years in the UK i would respectfully disagree. A recent CPI comparison showed Australia can upto 60% more expensive than the UK. If you can take it (owned it for 12 months), then take it as you'll save money - a quick comparison on car sites will show this.

I don't actually agree with the heat issue as i have taken a air cooled car myself which would be most at risk and just driven sydney to brisbane and back with no issues during summer. If you are worried about aircondition (again i think this is a non issue as a fully functioning and fill aircon unit will work anywhere), then pay for a change or upgrade before you leave, as still cheaper than buying a car out here.

As someone who has just been back in Aus for 12 months, after 10 years in the UK i would respectfully disagree. A recent CPI comparison showed Australia can upto 60% more expensive than the UK. If you can take it (owned it for 12 months), then take it as you'll save money - a quick comparison on car sites will show this.

I don't actually agree with the heat issue as i have taken a air cooled car myself which would be most at risk and just driven sydney to brisbane and back with no issues during summer. If you are worried about aircondition (again i think this is a non issue as a fully functioning and fill aircon unit will work anywhere), then pay for a change or upgrade before you leave, as still cheaper than buying a car out here.

You might be right 'cos of the exchange rate. When I talked about the heat I meant the tune. I think the Oz WRX's were rated a slightly lower power than the UK ones. You don't have to tune for 50 deg air temps in the UK.

I'm thinking of moving back but I'm a bit gutted as I bought by Golf in June lol. I dunno if I can store it 'till June then have it shipped lol?

I think you are all right (correct) in a way.

It depends on several factors - exchange rate, make of car and model.

European cars, especially German ones are prohibitively expensive, but Japanese cars are not.

We bought a top of range Nissan Dualis ( Qashkai) 2litre 4x4 with all the extras as standard for $36,000. That in my view is very close to UK prices and saves all the cost and effort of shipping... and worries about tanks being emptied, etc., etc.

Hope this helps. Check out your preferred make and model before making any decisions, I say.

John

Yep, good point. My car is german and after multiplying uk cost price times current exchange rate it is still worth approximately double that amount if bought in australia. Therefore, any issues with transportation, or otherwise, are worth dealing with.

Japanese cars are the biggest sellers in Australia (Mazda 3 most sold last year, and Nissans take up 3-4 or next 6 positions on recent 2012 sales stats in Aussie paper), so probably cheaper.

Sounds like the best option for those with a european car is to export it, sell it when in australia and buy the equiv japanese car and use the extra cash for a holiday. job done...

• 3 months later...
Guest Guest67761
only after 2 years you are allowed to sell on your PIS car...

This is INCORRECT actually ... any vehicle imported to Australia can be sold immediately if you want, there is no time restriction on how long you must keep the car.

Guest Guest67761

We often find that very old outdated information gets handed around and believed to be current, however as laws and various regulations here in Australia change almost yearly it's always best to not take anything as fact unless it comes from someone who works within those laws for a living and keep up to date everything.

• 1 month later...
Guest glilly65

[h=2]Moving Home back to oz[/h]

I am moving back to OZ next month and am looking for some help, i have been quoted £2950.00 door to door for my container from a company and an extra 850.00 for my car but i have to pick it up from the port. They supply boxes also. Please can i have your opinion on this???

Would very much appreciate it. :biggrin:

Guest Guest67761
Moving Home back to oz

I am moving back to OZ next month and am looking for some help, i have been quoted £2950.00 door to door for my container from a company and an extra 850.00 for my car but i have to pick it up from the port. They supply boxes also. Please can i have your opinion on this???

Would very much appreciate it. :biggrin:

It's impossible to give an opinion on the cost of household relocation because a lot of the cost depends on where you are located, where you are moving to in Australia, how much you have to be moved and exactly what they are including in the quote. I can tell you that if including the car in the same container is going to add £850 in total with no extra costs then that is not too bad. It would need to be collected from the container unpack depot in Australia rather than the actual port itself, but either way we arrange will arrange this for our clients anyway.

Feel free to email me at craig@ironladyimports.com for more information or when you are ready to get started with the process of applying for Australian Vehicle Import Approval for the car.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports